What are you doing with your 8x and 4x PCIe Slots? Any cool and actually useful ideas?

486DX Win3.1
Go to solution Solved by da na,

I use a Sound Blaster Z-series card in an extra PCIe x1 slot. 

NVME cards of course.

WiFi card if you're not using Ethernet could be nice

... or a FirePro 2270 x1. Add another GPU to your system (for some reason)! 

33 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

It does for Folding@Home

Well.... fold away man. Fold Away.

5 hours ago, 486DX Win3.1 said:

But it does not do anything

As said Folding@Home, just brainless mining, more monitor outputs, different monitor outputs (as in old GTX10 series for analog output, go way older and get S-Video that is great for turning into SCART for old TVs), for the couple edge cases dedicated PhysX-card, rendering always loves more hardware and probably even more use if you are into AI development or something else more specialized.

Generally for PCIe:

-IO-cards are always handy (USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt, Serial, COM, whatever you can imagine)

-soundcards are far from dead (Creative Soundblaster Z at least has some features Realtek and others could have use and doing them from software is PIA and adds latency; as in stuff like cancelling the outputted sound from input so you can use mic just fine with speakers, speaker balancing so you don't need to measure and setup speakers exactly right for good and equal stereo separation but can fix that with the output levels, bass crossover to rise the lowest frequencies a bit so your speakers/headphones can play them, noise reduction, acoustic echo reduction and automatic volume control from input)

-capture cards (not only game but stuff liek Blackmagic Design and other more fun stuff)

-there's still TV tuner cards so you can watch old fashion TV on PC

-networking (not only to get better connections for the PC but turning your PC into router so you can do stuff like tunnel your console/TV connection through VPN or add ad blocking and whatever without playing around with your actual router)

-internal IO for storage and whatever

On 7/30/2022 at 8:21 AM, Mel0n. said:

I use a Sound Blaster Z-series card in an extra PCIe x1 slot. 

NVME cards of course.

WiFi card if you're not using Ethernet could be nice

... or a FirePro 2270 x1. Add another GPU to your system (for some reason)! 

Or any 1x gpu like the old reliable gt710 

On 8/2/2022 at 5:53 AM, 486DX Win3.1 said:

Nice. Well..... I don't have anywhere that I can get 10Gbps connections, I don't think. This is a strange house. Built in 1952. Would not be able to run any wires without tearing the house apart. 

Now... What is MM and SM SFP modules?? 

Well, I previously didn't have much 10Gbps hw by myself either, but eventually some parts of my apartment's lan (from the proxmox/pfsense machine to the switch, and from the switch to my gaming computer) have switched to be 10Gbps.

Nevertheless, I originally got the 10Gbps card to my computer, as in various lanparties here in Finland, as an organizer or as friend of them, I have managed to get multiple times 10Gbps connection to my computer aswell for the event. During this year's Assembly lanparty though I have to use copper with 1Gbps as the nearby switches didn't have enough spare 10Gbps connections (or actually suitable lamps). ...and that's why I have both multimode and singlemode lamps in my card, as it varies, what is usually as spare, either multimode or singlemode connections. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-mode_optical_fiber / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-mode_optical_fiber