PS4 Pro Upgrade: Internal SSD or External SSD?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

If it was me, I'd go inside the PS4 (Cos it aint a cheap and nasty SSD either, it has onboard cache/good performance), it'll make the UI a little snappier overall too when moving around. Doesn't make a huge difference to some games on base PS4 as it is still CPU limited in some areas but menu traversal still gets a boost, but the Pro has higher clockspeeds and can be a smidge faster again than base PS4 with an SSD.

The biggest difference I noticed while I was downloading 1-2 things in background and how snappy it still remains,....

vs Base PS4/PS4 Pro downloading games to the HDD and moving around the menu's.

If you DIDN"T want to re-install / download everything (OS+Gamefiles again) to the SSD though, then yeah keep the HDD inside and use SSD externally.

I got a spare Samsung 870 Evo 500GB and a USB 3.0 SATA Drive Enclosure.

Would you recommend installing the SSD inside the PS4 or simply use it as an extended storage (game drive)?

If the SSD is installed inside the PS4, I would put the HDD that was in the PS4 in an enclosure and use it as an extended storage (extra storage for games in case the SSD is full).

The games I play are: GTA V, The Division 2, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva, Persona 5, and FFXV.

If it was me, I'd go inside the PS4 (Cos it aint a cheap and nasty SSD either, it has onboard cache/good performance), it'll make the UI a little snappier overall too when moving around. Doesn't make a huge difference to some games on base PS4 as it is still CPU limited in some areas but menu traversal still gets a boost, but the Pro has higher clockspeeds and can be a smidge faster again than base PS4 with an SSD.

The biggest difference I noticed while I was downloading 1-2 things in background and how snappy it still remains,....

vs Base PS4/PS4 Pro downloading games to the HDD and moving around the menu's.

If you DIDN"T want to re-install / download everything (OS+Gamefiles again) to the SSD though, then yeah keep the HDD inside and use SSD externally.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz