First time builder… do I do it…? Please help…

NGamer

Budget (including currency): $3,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Music production, photo/movie

Other details NA

Well, like I said, I am looking at becoming a first time builder.

I have read a lot on this site and have watched a lot (200+) of YouTube videos from LTT, JayzTwoCents, Paul's Hardware, etc.

Every time I put my parts list together (pcpartpicker.com) – I just get a very uneasy feeling of “what if…”

I have never done anything like this before.

Of the 6 PCs I have owned over the years, I have always only bought HP’s and a Dell directly from their websites.

If there ever was a problem, and luckily that was very rare, I contacted either HP or Dell and was told how to fix it.

Now, if there is a problem – who do I contact?

I won’t know if it’s a motherboard problem – a memory problem – an AIO cooler problem –a PSU problem – a CPU problem – a GPU problem…, etc…

And then I have to contact several different manufacturers to try to fix the problem – Intel, G.Skill, MSI, Seasonic, Nvidia, etc…

When before, I just needed to contact one place – either HP or Dell.

And if it is a motherboard problem - I have to take apart everything and send the motherboard in..., etc...

And then how do I know which parts work well together…?

From reading this site and watching the YouTube videos – some parts, like CPUs, motherboards, or memory, don’t always work well with each other… 

I really would like to do this… but WOW…

Any input (encouragement, lol) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, NGamer said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Music production, photo/movie

Other details NA

I have read a lot on this site and have watched a lot (200+) of YouTube videos from LTT, JayzTwoCents, Paul's Hardware, etc.

Every time I put my parts list together (pcpartpicker.com) – I just get a very uneasy feeling of “what if…”

Of the 6 PCs I have owned over the years, I have always only bought HP’s and a Dell directly from their websites.

If there ever was a problem, and luckily that was very rare, I contacted either HP or Dell and was told how to fix it.

I won’t know if it’s a motherboard problem – a memory problem – an AIO cooler problem –a PSU problem – a CPU problem – a GPU problem…, etc…

And then I have to contact several different manufacturers to try to fix the problem – Intel, G.Skill, MSI, Seasonic, Nvidia, etc…

And if it is a motherboard problem - I have to take apart everything and send the motherboard in..., etc...

From reading this site and watching the YouTube videos – some parts, like CPUs, motherboards, or memory, don’t always work well with each other… 

Thanks!

Try building one on pcpartpicker, then share the link here.
If there's anything that is iffy, people will speak about it.
Then you will learn from it.

Everybody's been in the same boat once.
My first PC build BSOD right, left, up, and down. Back then youtube wasn't a thing yet, solid tech reviewers rare.
Looking back, I should've learned more before building somehow.

RAM, as long it's not over 3200mhz for DDR4, little chance it won't work.
You can go to motherboard page and look at their QVL list for RAM, and buy one that they included in the list if it makes you feel safer.

CPU & Motherboard, just make sure the socket is right, and the vrm & chipset can fully juice the CPU that you choose.

Motherboard & RAM, make sure the DDR version match each other. Check motherboard website for compatible RAM speed.

CPU & RAM, Make sure the CPU support the speed of the RAM of your choosing, or make sure the RAM speed supported by the CPU.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

13 minutes ago, NGamer said:

just get a very uneasy feeling of “what if…”

13 minutes ago, NGamer said:

Then dont build a pc. Just buy one.

I wouldnt ask you to do your own auto maintinence if you had no idea how to trouble shoot issues or any experience or confidence. Same with computers.

Either practice on some cheap/free computers first and get some real experience, or just have someone else do it.

Definitely not going to tell you to blow 3k on parts if you have no confidence or experience and are doubting anything. To recommended otherwise is irresponsible

Well, for starters, in building your own, you should learn enough in the process, and for anything you can't grasp, you can always ask questions here.

The process is generally pretty simple, though for some setups, you may want to sequence assembly differently than you might for others. Me, I don't really have the patience to do it for a living, though I can generally build my own and keep it going. And I have a form of autism, likely Asperger's Syndrome, which means I have limited focus and retention. So I'd like to think that if I can do it, you can do it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Most issues that come up with computers are fixed with the same few solutions. 

You have a few options. Do you want to build and learn how to build/troubleshoot? Get a cheap old computer from a thrift store. Have a friend find a common issue online and have them cause that issue in that computer without telling you what they did. Repeat for different types of issues. Feel free to use the internet and forums to help with the troubleshooting. If you just want to build one and learn, you can do that as well. (Computer throttling, not POSTing and crashing under load are some very common ones that end up being a few basic things to fix usually) 

Is your doubt "I've never done this before and don't know where I'd start?" or is it "I'm afraid I'd make things worse?" Either way, you can learn your way around it.  

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

20 minutes ago, NGamer said:

Other details NA

Thanks!

just try your best to get most recent parts keeping future proofing in mind like getting i7 processor for example or getting minimum 16 GB ram and for your power supply get at least 1000 watts gold rated is good no need to go higher from sea-sonic and forget about it. for graphics get the 3080 or 3070ti i mean to say high end but whichever is comfortably in your budget. i was feeling the same when i built my first PC back in 2010 and i did not have much resources, nowadays its easy to get help from online sites like this one and redit is also useful. what i did which ever part i choose to buy i search it on YouTube and check reviews from your subscribed channels. go easy on spending first time because when you get into stuff you gain knowledge overtime and then you can update your existing setup with more parts you feel like will better your experience for example display, fans, cpu cooler . so just go for it even if you make mistake you are learning from them.

48 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Is your doubt "I've never done this before and don't know where I'd start?" or is it "I'm afraid I'd make things worse?" Either way, you can learn your way around it.  

Oh, I have a very good idea of how to start and actually build it - after having watched so many YouTube videos and reading so many posts in here, etc...

But, again, actually doing it is different from watching others do it on YouTube.

It's more... I've never done this before and if parts in it don't work - then what do I do...?

I really like the idea of building something of your own - making it your own - kind of like building a piece of art...

But, like someone said - I have everyone in here to help - for advice or if there is a problem - so that is a HUGE plus.

5 minutes ago, NGamer said:

Oh, I have a very good idea of how to start and actually build it - after having watched so many YouTube videos and reading so many posts in here, etc...

But, again, actually doing it is different from watching others do it on YouTube.

It's more... I've never done this before and if parts in it don't work - then what do I do...?

I really like the idea of building something of your own - making it your own - kind of like building a piece of art...

But, like someone said - I have everyone in here to help - for advice or it there is a problem - so that is a HUGE plus.

Sounds like it's the just the nerves of never having done it before. What do you have for a parts list so far?

If parts don't work when you first build it, then we figure out which part and why and then you go and get it fixed. If you buy from somewhere like Amazon where doing a RMA(Return to Manufacturer Authorization) is really easy, you ship it back to Amazon, and they ship you a new one. There's a small chance you have to go through the original manufacturer like MSI or Gigabyte but it's very easy usually to get it done through the seller. 

As far as making it your own and building a piece of art, if you don't need peripherals like monitors and keyboard and mouse it'd be kind of difficult to use up a $3000 budget. This leaves room for "Those fans would look better in my case" Or "I didn't think I wanted RGB, but I'd like more" to add it later. 

Edit: Posted early:

I don't think anyone here is going to tell you to spend all $3000 of your budget or that you have to build one if you're not comfortable. Prebuilts are a lot easier. You get a little less performance per dollar with them, but between one warranty, one person to contact with issues they're a lot easier. Building your own computer isn't for everyone. Whether it's for you or not is your choice. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?