Ping Insanley High

SquiddyButler
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

Our phone provider is AT&T but our modem is from viasat. Satellites don't go any lower than 500 ping, took me a while to figure that out. And the fiber thing is called freedom fiber, I looked on their website and it says it's being placed in the main town literally right outside of where I live. 

You have Satellite internet, high ping is a fact of life, there aint nothing you can do. 

I'm directly connected to my router with 39 mbps download speed and 5 mbps upload speed, but I get around 630-700 ping for online games making them unplayable. I have no idea why this is happening, is there any solution? (I have a ViaSat satellite btw) 

Bandwidth and ping are unrelated. Ping is determined by the distance between you and the server you're communicating with and the number of other servers (hops) between you.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Ping.. to what?

Sorry, should've specified. I meant to any type of online games, apex, rocket league, fortnite, anything and everything. 

Just now, SquiddyButler said:

Sorry, should've specified. I meant to any type of online games, apex, rocket league, fortnite, anything and everything. 

The solution would be to select a server as close to your physical location as possible. Are you using a VPN?

From where, to where?

Who is your ISP?

What kind of service do you subscribe to?

Are there any other devices on your network fighting for your upload bandwidth?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The solution would be to select a server as close to your physical location as possible. Are you using a VPN?

Nope, TOS on certain games said I could get banned for that and I don't want to risk it. Unless that is my only choice then I guess I'll have to. 

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

From where, to where?

Who is your ISP?

What kind of service do you subscribe to?

Are there any other devices on your network fighting for your upload bandwidth?

From my pc to router

My ISP is AT&T

We are subscribed to a 30 mbps service

There are 4 other people in the house, plus me but I'm the only one connected to the routers wifi as far as I know, don't know if that matters. 

3 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

Nope, TOS on certain games said I could get banned for that and I don't want to risk it. Unless that is my only choice then I guess I'll have to. 

No. I'm asking because using a VPN can increases ping. So trying with it disabled could've helped, but since you're not using one, that's not it.

There are 4 other people in the house, plus me but I'm the only one connected to the routers wifi as far as I know, don't know if that matters. 

Wi-Fi isn't the best in terms of ping, especially if you're in an area where a lot of neighbors are using the same frequency band. You could try again with a LAN connection. What ping do you get when you ping the router itself or the ISPs DNS server?

From my pc to router

My ISP is AT&T

It takes half a second or more to ping your router from your PC?

Judging by the bandwidth figures you posted, I assume you have DSL, not fiber?

3 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

From my pc to router

I'm certain you're not testing to your router. If you're seeing hundreds of ms of latency to your router over a wired connection, you've got some serious issues. 

You can rule out by finding your routers local IP, likely something like 192.168.0.1 and doing a ping 192.168.0.1 -t (replace with your routers IP) into a command prompt. 

4 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

From my pc to router

My ISP is AT&T

We are subscribed to a 30 mbps service

Still, from where to where?

Where are you located and where are the game servers located? There is no such thing as "high ping", just "high ping from where to where".

You specify your location and ISP, which in this case is AT&T somewhere on the planet, then specify game server location, which I believe is mostly on public clouds.

Then you narrow it down by capturing packets to see exactly what server IP your games are connecting to, then do a trace route to find out which hop is having high ping.

If it is anything beyond your router, there is nothing you can do other than calling your ISP and complain.

13 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It takes half a second or more to ping your router from your PC?

Judging by the bandwidth figures you posted, I assume you have DSL, not fiber?

Yeah there is no fiber where I'm living, they keep on saying it's coming "soon" whatever that means. 

10 minutes ago, TomChaai said:

Still, from where to where?

Where are you located and where are the game servers located? There is no such thing as "high ping", just "high ping from where to where".

You specify your location and ISP, which in this case is AT&T somewhere on the planet, then specify game server location, which I believe is mostly on public clouds.

If it is anything beyond your router, there is nothing you can do other than calling your ISP and complain.

I'm in Alabama and the servers are in Virginia, before I was in cali and I had way better wifi. Unless you were talking about the literal specific town I'm in. 

Then you narrow it down by capturing packets to see exactly what server IP your games are connecting to, then do a trace route to find out which hop is having high ping.

I have no idea how to do this, I'll have to look it up. But thank you 

19 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'm certain you're not testing to your router. If you're seeing hundreds of ms of latency to your router over a wired connection, you've got some serious issues. 

You can rule out by finding your routers local IP, likely something like 192.168.0.1 and doing a ping 192.168.0.1 -t (replace with your routers IP) into a command prompt. 

I did exactly that and all it's doing is saying is

bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=64

bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

Does that look right to you? 

14 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

I did exactly that and all it's doing is saying is

bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=64

bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

Does that look right to you? 

Over wifi to the gateway that's about average

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Over wifi to the gateway that's about average

So do you know what the problem is then?

8 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

So do you know what the problem is then?

Either your devices are all competing for your dribble of upload bandwidth (unlikely), or it's infrastructure factors outside your home and control (probable).

Try doing a tracert to a known IP like one of your game servers or to OpenDNS. That will show you all the hops your traffic has to make between your PC and the server.

7 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

(I have a ViaSat satellite btw) 

7 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

My ISP is AT&T

In your original post you said you had ViaSat and in another post you said AT&T. Which is it? ViaSat is Satellite internet and therefore has high pings. If you have AT&T DSL Id expect the pings to be less. 

Have you tested your pings outside of games?

Im wondering if you have infrastructure issues where you're at. It wouldn't surprise me because AT&T and Verizon both gave up on their DSL customers and dont really maintain their copper based network like they should. But thats if you have AT&T. If you have ViaSat then you're getting about what you should expect out of Satellite internet. 

6 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

it's coming "soon" whatever that means. 

It means when they decide to run it. Im pretty sure Covid through off a lot of plans and now they are behind. Of Course AT&T can be pulling a Verizon and promise Fiber but never deliver. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

In your original post you said you had ViaSat and in another post you said AT&T. Which is it? ViaSat is Satellite internet and therefore has high pings. If you have AT&T DSL Id expect the pings to be less. 

Have you tested your pings outside of games?

Im wondering if you have infrastructure issues where you're at. It wouldn't surprise me because AT&T and Verizon both gave up on their DSL customers and dont really maintain their copper based network like they should. But thats if you have AT&T. If you have ViaSat then you're getting about what you should expect out of Satellite internet. 

It means when they decide to run it. Im pretty sure Covid through off a lot of plans and now they are behind. Of Course AT&T can be pulling a Verizon and promise Fiber but never deliver. 

Our phone provider is AT&T but our modem is from viasat. Satellites don't go any lower than 500 ping, took me a while to figure that out. And the fiber thing is called freedom fiber, I looked on their website and it says it's being placed in the main town literally right outside of where I live. 

You have Satellite internet, high ping is a fact of life, there aint nothing you can do. 

Have you considered Starlink instead?

17 hours ago, Sparx said:

Have you considered Starlink instead?

Not coming to my area until 2023. Why, is it better than fiber?

4 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

Not coming to my area until 2023. Why, is it better than fiber?

No, but its better than most Satellite internet, the Satellites are in a lower Earth orbit. BUT I guess in some areas their network is taking a hit hard due to congestion.