RMA-Interim Build... (o_0) Is Pangoly's compatibility info reliable?

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

RAM, for the most part, is RAM.

Crucial/Micron is the second most compatible memory brand available, it'll work in just about anything without too many issues. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

So, quick and dirty, my recent 5900X build came up with a lame board. Hanging on POST with no video at random every 8-15 cold boots, did the necessary troubleshooting and about to send the board to Asus for RMA. Last time I had to RMA a board, it took over a month. Though I only intended it to be a web / media player, the only other machine I have right now is a Lenovo M71E SFF I upgraded with a SATA M.2 and i7-2600. As expected, it about choked trying to run BeamNG, and is not likely to run ATS.

So I snagged a used 3600X from eBay today. Didn't think I'd actually win the bid, but I got it. With refunds from recent returns, an ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 M.ATX and an 8-pin / 4-pin adapter cost $4, including a protection plan (I don't trust electronics much these days). I figure with one of my 16GB Ballistix DIMMs and the RTX3060ti and Mugen 5 cooler I have, this oughta get me through until the RMA is complete. At that point, depending, I can either swap it into another machine to complete and flip for cash, or maybe just upgrade the Lenovo if I don't get any takers.

Only question mark is RAM. AsRock's QVL list seems pretty skimpy -- only a handful of kits to start with, and the two Crucials don't seem to match mine. Pangoly shows it as compatible, but not on QVL list. So how exactly does Pangoly determine 'compatibility'? Are they trustworthy?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Crucial/Micron is the second most compatible memory brand available, it'll work in just about anything without too many issues. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

So, a manufacturer could not legally, say, not honor a warranty for running a RAM kit that isn't on their QVL list?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

So, a manufacturer could not legally, say, not honor a warranty for running a RAM kit that isn't on their QVL list?

RAM that isn't on the QVL list isn't going to break a motherboard on its own. You'd have to be doing something else that would cause damage to the board.

There is no way that I'm aware of for a company to know for sure that your RAM isn't on the QVL list.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I guess on that one, I just want to make sure they won't have any excuse not to honor the warranty. I was running DDR4-3200 CL16 Ballistix (16-18-18-36) on standard DOCP timings that appear to fit.

It's bad enough the board started acting stupid within a few weeks, but when it starts pointing to the board, Asus charges me a for a shipping label to get it back to them, something I find utterly ridiculous to start with. Warranty should cover everything.

I just want to make sure they're not going to be able to wheedle out of warrantying the repair. System thermals have been within limits, CPU has never throttled. The only problem it's ever really had is this consistent fail to POST with no video. I've swapped the GPU / RAM, tested individual DIMMs. Nothing has indicated a RAM or GPU issue.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!