YouTube more crisp

digitalnav

Get on TS please

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

File degradation over time? Or do you mean that they look better that they used to when they where new?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I have noticed it to, I also have noticed more and more vids being able to do 144p and 4K resolutions as well

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Wow, I can only dream of streaming 1080p YouTube videos :(

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

nope, they look worse to me.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

File degradation over time? Or do you mean that they look better that they used to when they where new?

File degradation ? It's digital on hard drives not on a cassette...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I haven't experienced any change in the recent past. 

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Can't, password :)

I'm sorry for wasting your time. I think a system free of charge should clear everything up. What do you say? :0

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Still looks like the same mediocre YouTube quality to me.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

File degradation ? It's digital on hard drives not on a cassette...

I know that and I said it because it has happened to me, watched an old video from 3 years ago an looks like shit compared when it was new, either YouTube moves the files a lot or they compresses them more over time

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

anyone had that problem that if a video is only availible in 480p or less and it dosnt go into full screen properly.

I know that and I said it because it has happened to me, watched an old video from 3 years ago an looks like shit compared when it was new, either YouTube moves the files a lot or they compresses them more over time

I think it's because you got used to videos getting captured on much better cameras.

For example, when the PS3 launched I was amazed by the graphical quality, now I think it looks so much like shit I don't even want to play on it and sold mine.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Better cameras, Better compression/processing on Youtube's side, Better Whateverelse.

I think it's because you got used to videos getting captured on much better cameras.

For example, when the PS3 launched I was amazed by the graphical quality, now I think it looks so much like shit I don't even want to play on it and sold mine.

I know what you mean but I'm talking video quality and whit those video it looked bad because it was artifacting a lot

No, he's saying that videos that have been more recently uploaded appear to have a higher quality 1080p than those that were uploaded prior to now.

So say that I uploaded a 1080p 2 years ago,

ibsKu7u.jpg

and then re-uploaded that same video now, according to OP that same video would look better, and it would always have looked better ( not that the older one got worse over time ).

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-Titan-Z-Official.jpg

I would assume that if he's right it's simply because of changes in youtube's compression algorithm allowing for higher bit-rate on their compressed and processed videos.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

No, he's saying that videos that have been more recently uploaded appear to have a higher quality 1080p than those that were uploaded prior to now.

So say that I uploaded a 1080p 2 years ago, and then reuploaded it now, according to OP that same video would look better, and it would always have looked better ( not that it got worse over time ).

I would assume that if he's right it's simply because of changes in youtube's compression algorithm allowing for higher bit-rate on their compressed and processed videos.

very plausible to, google vp9 compression seems to be way better that h.264, same quality whit a 50% file reduction, they have obviously looking into improved video formats whit youtube

very plausible to, google vp9 compression seems to be way better that h.264, same quality whit a 50% file reduction, they have obviously looking into improved video formats whit youtube

I added an example.......I took a minute to do it, would appreciate if you looked at it lol.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I added an example.......I took a minute to do it, would appreciate if you looked at it lol.

nice example but my old post I was saying I was agreed whit you essentially

YouTube is constantly tweaking encodes, and people are learning to encode better, as well as YouTube increasing overall bit rate for their re-encodes over time—Seeing as they are pumping out 4K videos nowadays, I'm sure they feel it doesn't hurt to increase overall quality of other resolutions either.

Cheers,

Linus

nice example but my old post I was saying I was agreed whit you essentially

I know, I added it immediately after posting, and you quoted me before I saved it, I meant I'd appreciate if you'd look at it, not because I felt you disagreed, but because I just added an example and wanted you to look at it since I had replied to your post.

hence the lol at the end.

Linus Sebastian said:

YouTube does not use VP9 (yet).

Videos probably look better because cameras has gotten a lot better.

As far as I know, the video quality has actually gotten worse when they moved to DASH. If you compare for example 720p then the bit rate of the DASH file is often quite a lot lower than the non-DASH version.

By the way, moving the file around does not cause the video to become lower quality like some people in this thread seem to think. You can copy a video back and forth 1000 times and it will still look exactly the same.