“Bake that!” FaceBake has received a restraining order from Facebook for copyright.

Summary

A Bengaluru-based bakery named FaceBake has received a restraining order and a Rs 50.000 fine from Facebook.

Quotes

The Delhi high court has permanently restrained a bakery owner in the southern Indian city from using the name “Facebake” or “Facecake.” It has also barred the shop from using the website facebook.in, related email addresses, or any trademark resembling those of the social media giant for its products and services.

The court also said that Malol must pay Facebook’s parent Meta nominal damages of 50,000 rupees ($628.50) and the cost of the suit. Moreover, all finished and unfinished material, including locks, signage, cards, stationery, accessories, packaging, labels, among others, must be handed over to Meta for erasure or destruction.

My thoughts

I don’t know how to feel about this. On the one hand, yeah Facebook needs to keep their copyright. But to also go after a small bakery and fine them, I don’t know.

EDIT: After doing more research, (reading the comments) I can comfirm how I feel now. Facebook is in the right. That bakery is copying Facebook so much in design, it’s kinda funny. But, it’s still infringement, so yeah, $630 is too little.

Sources

qz.com

Edited by ebprince the computer nerd

how are you doing today

40 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Summary

A Bengaluru-based bakery named FaceBake has received a restraining order and a Rs 50.000 fine from Facebook.

Quotes

My thoughts

I don’t know how to feel about this. On the one hand, yeah Facebook needs to keep their copyright. But to also go after a small bakery and fine them, I don’t know.

Sources

qz.com

Yeah, I agree with you. On the one hand, you have to uphold copyrights, but it's a small bakery in a small town.

50 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

What makes you think this has anything to do with copyright?  The article you even posted clearly states it's trademark.  That's two completely different ball games you are talking about.

I have zero sympathy for this bakery.  They literally registered facebook.in as their website, you don't even need to be a trademark lawyer to realize they would be coming after you.  They further named their company with similar sounding names, so yea it's infringement.

Trademarks you need to actively pursue people who are utilizing  your trademark or risk losing trademark status.  That said as well, it's literally facebook.in...they would have to fear impersonation.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Yeaaah, they were looking for that considering they basically copied Facebook down to the design. Gotta protect that f trademark.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

What makes you think this has anything to do with copyright?  The article you even posted clearly states it's trademark.  That's two completely different ball games you are talking about.

I have zero sympathy for this bakery.  They literally registered facebook.in as their website, you don't even need to be a trademark lawyer to realize they would be coming after you.  They further named their company with similar sounding names, so yea it's infringement.

Trademarks you need to actively pursue people who are utilizing  your trademark or risk losing trademark status.  That said as well, it's literally facebook.in...they would have to fear impersonation.

Sorry, meant trademark. But, I guess you are kinda right. They did use it on EVERYTHING, and they I think had an Instagram account lol. Instagram IS Facebook lol. I just felt that it was kinda wrong because it was literally 1 location, not like a huge business. But, you are right.

how are you doing today

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

It sounds absurd but after looking at the images I can kind of see where they're coming from...

image.png.a3a06d51c9c4a134763a753fa6e83816.png

yep, that would do it...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

I just felt that it was kinda wrong because it was literally 1 location, not like a huge business. But, you are right.

No big business would be stupid enough to do this.

Quick google search also shows there's multiple "Facebake" & "Facecake" stores in Bengaluru India.

image.png

Looking at those photos of the store and the fact they used the domain facebook.in it's extremely obvious they were trying to use Facebook's branding & recognition to further their business. Their trademark infringement was as blatant as Michaelsoft Binbows.

a69.jpg

Zero sympathy from me. They deserved to be fined and ordered to stop infringing on the trademark. Pretty ridiculous that they were only fined $630 USD (50,000 Indian Rupees). The cost of replacing all the signage & displays in their stores would be more than the fine. Just because Facebook/Meta is a shitty company doesn't mean they're in the wrong for protecting their Trademark/IP/Brand from scummy businesses like this.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

THIS

I wish everyone on the internet would do a little reading on the difference...it's even in the names..

TRADEMARK _ marks used in trade

COPYRIGHT .. the right to copy content

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 7/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, wamred said:

Yeah, I agree with you. On the one hand, you have to uphold copyrights, but it's a small bakery in a small town.

Bengaluru is in no way a small town lol, it's population is around that of London 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Bengaluru is in no way a small town lol, it's population is around that of London 

Ah, to be honest I didn't look into the population. I should do my due diligence before posting. 

9 minutes ago, wamred said:

Ah, to be honest I didn't look into the population. I should do my due diligence before posting. 

Yeah the only reason I'm aware is because I have family there. 

it is also a very big tech hub though. Facebook has a large office in the city which makes this whole thing even funnier 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/city/bengaluru/facebook-logs-in-bengaluru-now-hosts-all-big-five-tech-firms/amp_articleshow/66309871.cms

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Yeah the only reason I'm aware is because I have family there. 

it is also a very big tech hub though. Facebook has a large office in the city which makes this whole thing even funnier 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/city/bengaluru/facebook-logs-in-bengaluru-now-hosts-all-big-five-tech-firms/amp_articleshow/66309871.cms

Oh that makes sense. I bet that has something to do with the whole court case to begin with.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:15 PM, Sauron said:

It sounds absurd but after looking at the images I can kind of see where they're coming from...

image.png.a3a06d51c9c4a134763a753fa6e83816.png

image.png.a04d0abbef58956f49171599ff0a4ac1.png

On 7/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

They literally registered facebook.in as their website

image.jpeg.fa2e535bf4c74f9c602f956c92125c90.jpeg

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

On 7/12/2022 at 9:04 PM, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Facepalm.

Please refrain from using this ever again to save our trademark.

Best regards, facebook

/s

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC