Internet stability issues on one device, everything else seems fine

TaylorHu

I have Verizon FIOS gigabit internet. One desktop, a couple of laptops (work and personal), a Roku TV, some smart home devices, etc.

For about a week now the speeds on my desktop have been terrible. Speedtests say everything is fine, 800+ down, but the reality doesn't match that. Videos buffer even at 720p, large file downloads fail, I have to refresh web pages multiple times to get them to load, trying to log into any Google based service in particular is next to impossible.

Everything else on the network seems fine. No issues on my laptop, I can stream 4k content on the tv without issue, etc.

I'm using Verizon's Router and Modem

PC Specs are pretty beefy

• Windows 11
  • Ryzen 5900x
  • 32gb Ram
  • 6700xt GPU

So far I've tried

• Different ethernet cable
  • Different ethernet port on router
  • Resetting all network settings on the PC
  • sfc /scannow
  • DISM
  • Full malware scan, both with Windows Defender and Avast
  • Full CCleaner clean
  • Disabling all startup items
  • Grabbed all Windows updates
  • Confirmed issue in Edge, Chrome and Firefox

No recent changes to the PC, upgraded the GPU a few weeks ago but this started happening well after that so I don't think it's a hardware or config change. Going to try and get a USB wi-fi adapter and see if that helps, maybe it's just a bad ethernet port on my mobo itself?

Update: Got a USB Wifi adapter, that seemed to solve the issue. Anything else I should check or should I just assume failing ethernet port on the motherboard? I'd rather not have to replace the board now but I could if I needed to.

Check on the motherboard site if there is any specific NIC updates for the board itself, sometimes Windows Update isn't great with that and making sure those drivers are 100% up to date

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 hours ago, TaylorHu said:

Update: Got a USB Wifi adapter, that seemed to solve the issue. Anything else I should check or should I just assume failing ethernet port on the motherboard? I'd rather not have to replace the board now but I could if I needed to.

Well, you can put in a PCIE NIC into your computer since a new mobo can cost more and be a pain. Unless its a laptop then I dunno.

Set your onboard NIC to 100 half duplex. See if issue changes.

If the problem resolves its a problem with the NIC.

This is oddly a common symptom of a failing NIC

On 7/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, TaylorHu said:

Cost of replacing an entire motherboard vs an inexpensive USB WiFi adapter that solves the problem... Sounds like you have a fix. Unless there are other issues with the motherboard, I'd say stick with what works for now.