Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need an Expert Advisor. I somehow broke the laws of internet physics.

msantore22
 Share

so to get to the point, im gonna start by saying i'm so very genuinely confused right now.  earlier this morning i was trying advanced techniques to bypass netflix's U.S. content block. but let me make this clear This post is not about bypassing the block. its much bigger than that. so there i was i was trying all sorts of things involving vpns, my opnsense firewall. etc. when i randomly  stopped to ping a netflix domain name. and thats when i first noticed this bug. atleast i believe it has to be a bug. like what else would cause this? this whatever it was was completely unbelievable.

I somehow tricked my ISP to originate packets from the destination, instead of from my local pc. this bug makes every ip address i Ping or tracert to have 1MS. it doesnt matter if its from japan, or uk, or U.S   the ping is always 1ms.

so i tested a video game. i've always had 60ms in video games before today. so right away i felt the change in responsiveness. but to my surprise the game still reported my original ping of 60ms. but it felt fluid. more fluid than usual. 


i've included screenshots of ping tests from various websites/servers. i can make a youtube video if people are absolutely skeptical. but im not sure how this can be explained. and i need an expert to tell it to me straight! how the heck did this even happen?


this only seems to affect Cable Internet. i swapped to my DSL internet and it didnt work there. only cable was affected. and i could swap back and it did it again

here's a youtube demonstration

ping1.png

ping2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

oh forget what I said, you broke the laws of the univers my child!!!!

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm so confused, there has to be some kind of explanation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I interpret this "I somehow tricked my ISP to originate packets from the destination, instead of from my local pc."  to mean that every time you test ping, you're testing destination to destination since your ISP now thinks it's the destination.

 

SO you're basically doing ISP to itself, no?

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

I interpret this "I somehow tricked my ISP to originate packets from the destination, instead of from my local pc."  to mean that every time you test ping, you're testing destination to destination since your ISP now thinks it's the destination.

 

SO you're basically doing ISP to itself, no?

if you look at the tracert in the screenshot, the tracert goes to a google ip address. and the first address in the tracert, what is normally the home address what should be my ip, is somehow googles ip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need to elaborate on what you have done to try to evade Netflix’s geo block. My “expert” opinion (I do not consider myself an network expert because I know what I do not know about networking, and I work with some true “experts”, but a Fortune 500 company is happy to keep paying me a lot of money to be a Network Engineer and solve odd problems like yours) is that you’ve caused your router to respond to every ping request itself. This might be due to some NAT or routing related policy you’ve made.

 

Edit: to explain the traceroute results, Windows traceroute defaults to using standard ping packets (ICMP Echo Requests) so anything that’s affecting ping will affect the default Windows traceroute. It is also possible to traceroute using UDP packets which is the default in Linux. I don’t know off the top of my head whether and how you can make Windows tracert use UDP instead of ICMP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, brwainer said:

I think you need to elaborate on what you have done to try to evade Netflix’s geo block. My “expert” opinion (I do not consider myself an network expert because I know what I do not know about networking, and I work with some true “experts”, but a Fortune 500 company is happy to keep paying me a lot of money to be a Network Engineer and solve odd problems like yours) is that you’ve caused your router to respond to every ping request itself. This might be due to some NAT or routing related policy you’ve made.

 

Edit: to explain the traceroute results, Windows traceroute defaults to using standard ping packets (ICMP Echo Requests) so anything that’s affecting ping will affect the default Windows traceroute. It is also possible to traceroute using UDP packets which is the default in Linux. I don’t know off the top of my head whether and how you can make Windows tracert use UDP instead of ICMP.

thanks for your reply. i appreciate it. it might be a routing policy but its definitely not nat. the only settings i played around with in my firewall were unbound dns settings. and on the vpn side of things i played around with routing specific netflix domains through local my dns server instead of my vpn, but it didnt help in the unblocking process.

What i did do with the routing was i forced openvpn to run alongside my internet connection instead of as a layer on top. so my ip did not change but im still connected to the vpn. i used the route-nopull function. i litterally cant see anything out of the ordinary in my settings that would cause my vpn to make my internet do what i described above

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it feels like something in your local setup is spoofing ICMP and pretending to be whatever you try to trace, anything you trace/ping is simply one hop away and less than 1ms in ping.

This is not possible in term of public internet routing and pure physics, it must be something locally.

Try route print and see if the default route for anything internet is 127.0.0.1/localhost and redirects to something set up on your PC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

here's something interesting, the ip addresses feel like they are caching, both the domains and the ip addresses. i wonder if it has something to do with my vpn settings.

normally 1.1.1.1 and unbound dns only caches domains but what if my vpn is making it cache the ip addresses too? that would explain the near instant connection with tracert.

 

idk at this point though. here's my vpn settings. they arent standard every day settings for sure. put "route-nopull" in your client file, if anyones gonna try this out

cache.thumb.png.fdcb263de360a5fe07f6e456f41a6d54.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TomChaai said:

To me it feels like something in your local setup is spoofing ICMP and pretending to be whatever you try to trace, anything you trace/ping is simply one hop away and less than 1ms in ping.

This is not possible in term of public internet routing and pure physics, it must be something locally.

Try route print and see if the default route for anything internet is 127.0.0.1/localhost and redirects to something set up on your PC.

good catch! i tried route print and the plot thickened. my vpn server ip is using my local router gateway?!?!?!?

===========================================================================
Persistent Routes:
  Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address  Metric
    " vpn server ip"   255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1       1
===========================================================================

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, msantore22 said:

good catch! i tried route print and the plot thickened. my vpn server ip is using my localhost gateway?!?!?!?

===========================================================================
Persistent Routes:
  Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address  Metric
    " vpn server ip"   255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1       1
===========================================================================

Check the active route section, the persistent route looks fine to me, it just says next hop for "vpn server IP" is 192.168.1.1, which I believe is how your internet works even without your customised setup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TomChaai said:

Check the active route section, the persistent route looks fine to me, it just says next hop for "vpn server IP" is 192.168.1.1, which I believe is how your internet works even without your customised setup.

so all i see are these:
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.1.1     192.168.1.64     20
     vpn server ip  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1     192.168.1.64    276
    static isp ip  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1     192.168.1.64     21
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331

 

for the static isp ip its located in another province. i dont know enough about networking to tell if these are good or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×