So, I saw this 1630 review on my landing page today .

Poinkachu

Scrounged my notification for review of it from LTT, GN, and Jayz. Found none however.
Just thought I ought to let you guys know.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Harbour Unboxed does really solid reviews. Better than many like LTT and so on. A tier, definitely one of my go to's.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Don't need to watch the video to see they're still doing bad takes on everything. Love their testing but interpretation is detached from the world we live in.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm sure this review is very thorough but it could have been one sentence long: "This card performs the same as the 1050 ti from six years ago, at a higher MSRP." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

17 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Harbour Unboxed does really solid reviews. Better than many like LTT and so on. A tier, definitely one of my go to's.

They're unboxing on a  harbour, they're dockers ? 🙂

But I agree it's a great channel, amongst my faves with GN, and the 1630 is a pile of trash indeed

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It's a joke about how YouTube's automatically-generated close captioning frequently garbles the name "Hardware Unboxed," possibly in part because of his accent.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

But I agree it's a great channel, amongst my faves with GN, and the 1630 is a pile of trash indeed

It's an old running joke as Youtube auto captions would always without fail subtitle them as Harbour Unboxed instead of Hardware Unboxed. Recall they even made a limited edition shirt to commemorate this running joke.

No idea if CC still do their funnies or its been fixed.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

42 minutes ago, porina said:

Don't need to watch the video to see they're still doing bad takes on everything. Love their testing but interpretation is detached from the world we live in.

Their takes are pretty good for their main target audience, even if I personally don't agree with everything, I'm aware that I'm not in that group.

Also I don't think there's any bad take in this review regardless of what are your preferences. The 1630 in their testing was slower than the 1050Ti by almost 20%, while using only

13W less in their total system power consumption, 191W for the 1630 vs 204W for the 1050Ti / 207W for the 1650, and being more expensive than the 1650S was, and more expensive than what they currently are in the used market.

22 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

The 1630 in their testing was slower than the 1050Ti by almost 20%, while using only

13W less in their total system power consumption, 191W for the 1630 vs 204W for the 1050Ti / 207W for the 1650, and being more expensive than the 1650S was, and more expensive than what they currently are in the used market.

You kinda summed up a lot of what I find bad. Power consumption is largely irrelevant as a buying decision providing it is easily driven by a PSU. With this class GPU we're generally not needing a power connector which is possibly the only consideration there. Historic price of 1605S is irrelevant, unless you can say you can widely find it new today for that same price. I'd love a launch day 3080 price now but it ain't happening. And used can (usually) offer more value than used, if you put aside the age related risks from doing so. The main comparison should be what else can you buy new today in that general area.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

The main comparison should be what else can you buy new today in that general area.

This amounts to saying "The GPU manufacturers have you over a barrel, just accept it, whattya gonna do not buy a card at all lmao?" Under this mindset they can keep delivering worse performance for money every generation and never get called out on it because, well, what else can you buy new today, it's the world we live in. God forbid a tech reviewer suggest that maybe people just shouldn't buy anything at all. 

Some people (most notably, mid-tier tech YouTuber channels trying to get clout by taking shots at the likes of HUB and GN) tried this same argument when the 6500 XT came out. AMD made a shitty card because they knew literally anything would sell, and we're supposed to be grateful to AMD as the savior of budget gamers because they made a card that was at best barely better and in many cases actually worse than what had been on the market for years. 

And now Nvidia has actually managed to make a card shittier than that. They made a card which has 0 meaningful improvement over their offering from half a decade ago and sold it for more money. It is unmitigated garbage. 

So if next generation Nvidia and AMD release cards that are at 3070/6800 level of performance for $1000 MSRP - because hey, scalpers proved people are willing to pay those prices, why should the scalpers get all the extra profit? - I assume there will be those who say "Well you have to compare it to what else you can buy new." And then what's to stop the next generation from being the same performance for $2000? 

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

This amounts to saying "The GPU manufacturers have you over a barrel, just accept it, whattya gonna do not buy a card at all lmao?"

I think GPU manufacturers are seeing the writing on the wall. We're steadily approaching a "post framerate" kind of state with graphics cards where most people can happily game on lower end or older gpus. I mean just look at the xbox series x, why should I buy a 1000 dollar gpu when I can just buy what is essentially a 500 dollar computer and game on my tv at 4k 60fps...

Realistically I think at the end of the day the consumers still maintain control over this. Don't buy new gpus. Don't accept garbage like this 1630 even existing.

14 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I think GPU manufacturers are seeing the writing on the wall. We're steadily approaching a "post framerate" kind of state with graphics cards where most people can happily game on lower end or older gpus. I mean just look at the xbox series x, why should I buy a 1000 dollar gpu when I can just buy what is essentially a 500 dollar computer and game on my tv at 4k 60fps...

I'd like to think that's true, but it didn't stop people from buying up GPU's from scalpers at 200% markup for a year and a half. And all through that period, every time someone started ranting here on the forum about those damn dirty scalpers, it ought to be illegal, etc. some of us said: The only way to stop scalping is to not buy from scalpers. 

The same principle applies here. But teaching the actual manufacturers they can get away with this is 100x worse than buying from scalpers, because the scalpers can't actually control the products that are released. 

If you grit your teeth and buy whatever insulting product Nvidia and AMD (or Intel) shovel out, you teach them it's OK to do it, and they'll keep pushing it right up until the point people finally stop buying.

Nobody needs to buy a GPU. You can buy a console instead, there's nothing "master race" about getting taken advantage of by corporations. You can take up fucking basket weaving or some other hobby. I like computers but I don't like them enough to just meekly accept getting ripped off until I'm this tweet but with computer parts instead of candles: 

This is supposed to be a hobby, not an addiction. 

26 minutes ago, Middcore said:

what's to stop the next generation from being the same performance for $2000? 

Functioning competition. Right now, I'm not sure AMD is good enough competition to hold nvidia in check. While RDNA2 isn't that bad, it doesn't feel like AMD put effort into getting volume and as such their dGPU market share is hardly a blip. Intel entering the market may prove more of a competitor to nvidia in a generation or two if AMD don't step their GPU game up. Look at the CPU market for where competition is working better. 

18 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I think GPU manufacturers are seeing the writing on the wall. We're steadily approaching a "post framerate" kind of state with graphics cards where most people can happily game on lower end or older gpus.

That's a great point. Most people want more while they need more. Once it gets to a "good enough" point, the question then switches to how cheap they can get that. Now the higher end cards are more needed for those needing insane framerates or want 4k ultra everything. Below that even mid tier cards are plenty. The shift then goes to new features giving a better experience. Raytracing is still growing and will drive performance in the foreseeable future. Who knows what's after that.

The funny thing is you can go onto EVGA right now and their 1650 Super is literally the same price ($199.99) as the GTX 1630.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Functioning competition. Right now, I'm not sure AMD is good enough competition to hold nvidia in check. While RDNA2 isn't that bad, it doesn't feel like AMD put effort into getting volume and as such their dGPU market share is hardly a blip. Intel entering the market may prove more of a competitor to nvidia in a generation or two if AMD don't step their GPU game up. Look at the CPU market for where competition is working better. 

That's a great point. Most people want more while they need more. Once it gets to a "good enough" point, the question then switches to how cheap they can get that. Now the higher end cards are more needed for those needing insane framerates or want 4k ultra everything. Below that even mid tier cards are plenty. The shift then goes to new features giving a better experience. Raytracing is still growing and will drive performance in the foreseeable future. Who knows what's after that.

I'm not even sure Nvidia sees Radeon as competition anymore. Nvidia wants to be the Apple of GPUs. And as long as Nvidia is pushing Ray Tracing as the pre-eminent end all be all feature, then as long as the competition is behind the curve here, Nvidia has nothing to worry about on the mindshare department.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

15 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

The funny thing is you can go onto EVGA right now and their 1650 Super is literally the same price ($199.99) as the GTX 1630.

I'm not even sure Nvidia sees Radeon as competition anymore. Nvidia wants to be the Apple of GPUs. And as long as Nvidia is pushing Ray Tracing as the pre-eminent end all be all feature, then as long as the competition is behind the curve here, Nvidia has nothing to worry about on the mindshare department.

Ever since Nvidia fiasco with HwU, I always said that Nvidia is pushing DLSS & RT so bad to the point it looked kinda desperate.
Why? my guess is to turn it into a norm to gain advantage over the rival of course. Also to push people to buy a high end GPU.
IMHO, In term of raw power, AMD caught Nvidia's tail now. Nvidia need to be a total fool not to notice.
Many times in this forum I've seen AMD being recommended over Nvidia due to it. Especially if it's low-mid end. Because RT without a high-end gpu is stupid.

Whether DLSS or RT or both is a thing or not, is back to the users. it is what makes something a thing or not.
Intel been pusing 12VO for ionno how many years now. heard Alder Lake was planned to use 12VO, iirc.
They can push whatever they want to push, if the majority of users rejects it, it won't be a thing.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

16 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

I'm not even sure Nvidia sees Radeon as competition anymore.

Bahahaha. You may have been right before this generation but nvidia has felt the burn when the 6000 series dropped. Why do you think nvidia is pushing 400 watts on their cards these days? It's just to remain the performance kings at all costs. Ampere was never meant to be pushed this hard, it's a pretty terrible architecture and Nvidia knows it.

It's so bad right now in fact they can't even release a new Titan because they can't get a competitive card at 250-280 watts. Instead opting for "titan class performance" sold to you at a mere doubling of the last Titan's power draw.

Nvidia compared to AMD does have the mindshare advantage sure. But how long can that be maintained when releasing pure vitriol? The 4000 series shaping up to be just as bad if not worse. The longer time goes on the more I think Maxwell and Pascal were pure flukes and that Nvidia just can't keep up the expectations.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:44 AM, Poinkachu said:

Ever since Nvidia fiasco with HwU, I always said that Nvidia is pushing DLSS & RT so bad to the point it looked kinda desperate.
Why? my guess is to turn it into a norm to gain advantage over the rival of course. Also to push people to buy a high end GPU.
IMHO, In term of raw power, AMD caught Nvidia's tail now. Nvidia need to be a total fool not to notice.
Many times in this forum I've seen AMD being recommended over Nvidia due to it. Especially if it's low-mid end. Because RT without a high-end gpu is stupid.

Whether DLSS or RT or both is a thing or not, is back to the users. it is what makes something a thing or not.
Intel been pusing 12VO for ionno how many years now. heard Alder Lake was planned to use 12VO, iirc.
They can push whatever they want to push, if the majority of users rejects it, it won't be a thing.

Oh don't get me wrong, AMD is competitive in traditional performance, no doubt about that.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:20 AM, Brian McKee said:

Bahahaha. You may have been right before this generation but nvidia has felt the burn when the 6000 series dropped. Why do you think nvidia is pushing 400 watts on their cards these days? It's just to remain the performance kings at all costs. Ampere was never meant to be pushed this hard, it's a pretty terrible architecture and Nvidia knows it.

It's so bad right now in fact they can't even release a new Titan because they can't get a competitive card at 250-280 watts. Instead opting for "titan class performance" sold to you at a mere doubling of the last Titan's power draw.

Nvidia compared to AMD does have the mindshare advantage sure. But how long can that be maintained when releasing pure vitriol? The 4000 series shaping up to be just as bad if not worse. The longer time goes on the more I think Maxwell and Pascal were pure flukes and that Nvidia just can't keep up the expectations.

Fair point and I absolutely don't disagree with you at all about Nvidia pushing power draw and AMD being absolutely competitive in traditional performance. But at my local Micro Center, I've talked with the folks working there, they still sell 10 times more Nvidia than AMD cards across all performance spectrums. The mind-share factor is huge. 

The way I see it, 40-series is going to be Fermi 3.0, after which, maybe they'll get their act together on power, they'll have to at some point. Also it isn't like AMD is not also pushing power draw limits, but clearly not as badly as Nvidia.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST