What is the ideal cherry mx red Full size black rgb mechanical keyboard?

theRatty

I'm leaning towards the k95 but I would love more options.

6 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

I'm leaning towards the k95 but I would love more options.

Are all of the additional function keys necessary? - e.g. macro keys, program buttons, volume dials, etc.

The mechanical keyboard world is a vast ocean, but most options only cater to the standard keys.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Personal preference. But the build quality, design, parts choices and software are far superior on the Keychron Q6, or Q5 if you want something slightly more compact. The Cherry MX Red is overpriced and mediocre, there are so many better options out there from Gateron/Zeal, TTC, Durock/JWK, Kailh, Outemu/Gazzew, KTT, Akko etc etc which you should definitely consider. 

:)

cherry mx reds are trash

horrible linears

get gateron yellows, ktt sea salt lemons or akko switches

they're better

I've tried other switches and quite honestly the membrane feel of the reds feels great to my fingers when I want to bang out an essay or play an fps. The dials are not necessary but I quite like the function row and the number pad (full size)

2 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

I've tried other switches and quite honestly the membrane feel of the reds feels great to my fingers when I want to bang out an essay or play an fps. The dials are not necessary but I quite like the function row and the number pad (full size)

reds dont feel like membranes

3 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

Ducky One 2 mentioned by @Slottr and the Keychrons mentioned by @seon123 are great options then.

Keep in mind that Cherry MX Reds are not the only linear mechanical switches in town.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Ducky One 2 mentioned by @Slottr and the Keychrons mentioned by @seon123 are great options then.

Keep in mind that Cherry MX Reds are not the only linear mechanical switches in town.

Id like to add that both companies offer hotswap boards too

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

reds dont feel like membranes

I think a lot of newbie mechanical keyboard users would disagree.

Ok, leaning toward the ducky one 3 rgb, does anyone recommend a good website for buying keycap sets?

4 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

Ok, leaning toward the ducky one 3 rgb, does anyone recommend a good website for buying keycap sets?

kbdfans or drop but drop doesn't treat it's keycap designers well

also if your budget allows for it, you can just get a custom keyboard

cheapest custom keyboard i recommend i gas67

If you want budget options there's the CK550/552, it's what I use. Standard ABS keycaps, metal brush finish, customizable RGB, profiles, comes with an palm rest, customizable keys. They're gateron reds (CK550 V1), but honestly I prefer them more than cherry mx. CK550 V2 uses TTC, which isn't as bad subjectively worse (?), but you won't notice the difference unless you put them side by side. CK552 is a spin-off to CK550.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

5 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

also if your budget allows for it, you can just get a custom keyboard

cheapest custom keyboard i recommend i gas67

this dude's asking for a '93 civic and you keep suggesting super cars

22 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

That Ducky keyboard comes with pretty good keycaps already.

If you're looking for replacement keycaps, it's recommended to look for double-shot keycaps with translucent plastic so that the RGB lighting can shine through the letters.

20 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

If you want budget options there's the CK550/552, it's what I use. Standard ABS keycaps, metal brush finish, customizable RGB, profiles, comes with an palm rest, customizable keys. They're gateron reds (V1), but honestly I prefer them more than cherry mx. V2 uses TTC, which isn't as bad subjectively worse, but you won't notice the difference unless you put them side by side

TTC switches objectively better than KS-8 gaterons

26 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

this dude's asking for a '93 civic and you keep suggesting super cars

custom keyboards aren't that much more expensive then a ducky one 3

9 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

TTC switches objectively better than KS-8 gaterons

I honestly don't know, never tried TTC switches. This is the closest comparison I can find and if there's any difference I think it's negligible

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

42 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

I honestly don't know, never tried TTC switches. This is the closest comparison I can find and if there's any difference I think it's negligible

TTC Gold Pinks are one of the best stock switches