PC black screens whenever I game, change resolution, start a download, and even when I boot.

chesterfan123

Hello, I am having trouble with a newly built PC and am out of options. I have tried almost everything and I still get the same problem.

Today, while I was using my computer the screen suddenly turned black. My monitor displayed no signal and I could not do anything but I could still hear audio and tab out of games and applications. I turned off the PC and turned it on again and started using it again but it happened later again. But this time when I turned it back on this happens:

The monitor shows a black screen with green and blue lines. Then restarting it whenever I click on the Lock Screen to type my password, the screen goes black. Restarting again I can click the Lock Screen and when I type in my PIN the screen goes black, then I’m stuck in this cycle starting with the green and blue lines again.

this is when I started to look for help online. I thought it was a problem with windows so I clean installed it on my ssd. But after when I starting redownloading my programs it happened again. So I took the GPU out of my pc and reinstalled it back in, ensuring everything was installed carefully and correctly. Soon after it happened again. I saw in a thread that this was happening to someone and it happens specifically to those who use g-sync ultrawide monitors. I am using one so I disabled g sync as that is what solved the other guys problem. However my screen still goes black after a while and searched for another solution. I read in another thread that it’s because of multiple monitors, so I took out my old monitor and only have my ultrawide now. The problem still happened. At this point I’m starting to think it’s the display port cable because many others have had the cables be the problem. So I switch to an HDMI cable and it still happens, no matter which port I plug it into. I am now certain that it’s either the gpu or the drivers. It can’t be the nvidia gpu drivers because it occured before and after installing them. A problem could be the drivers I installed from asus website for my z590-e motherboard as I downloaded all the drivers they listed from wifi, lan, firmware, and so on.

tl:dr gpu crashes and screen goes black whenever I download, change resolution, and game. Have tried many solutions and none have worked.

Haven't encountered many black screens myself but I don't think the monitor's responsible here.

If you can, maybe try running a monitoring program like HWMonitor to check temperatures, computer overheating was what caused black screens for a few of my older computers. At idle it shouldn't be much higher than room temperature. AIDA64 also works but HWMonitor is free

It is said that an Italian dies every time Spaghetti is broken.

That's why I break mine twice.

Sorry I forgot to mention this, but the temps for the gpu and everything are very low, so I don’t think temperature is the issue. Right now I think the issue is all the drivers I installed from my motherboards website. So I did another clean install of windows this time without downloading all of the drivers. Hopefully this works, if not, I’ll try your suggestion, thanks.

6 minutes ago, chesterfan123 said:

Sorry I forgot to mention this, but the temps for the gpu and everything are very low, so I don’t think temperature is the issue. Right now I think the issue is all the drivers I installed from my motherboards website. So I did another clean install of windows this time without downloading all of the drivers. Hopefully this works, if not, I’ll try your suggestion, thanks.

(Quote me for notifications) upon reading your post again you said audio still works and you can tab out and stuff. I had a similar problem and it was the monitor in that one. Almost exactly the same scenario, so I apologize for my previous conclusion.

I found out that the monitor in question was unstable in its power draw and had to be plugged into a completely separate outlet to function, which is why I no longer use that monitor. So this time, don't use the ultrawide at all, use the other one and see if the problem still occurs.

If you're sure it's not the monitors though and, as you say, it's the drivers, then try running on Integrated graphics for a while. It's a z590 motherboard so you're using an Intel processor. Unless it's a KF processor it should have an iGPU and if the problem doesn't occur with that then it may be either the graphics card drivers or (hopefully not) the graphics card itself.

9 minutes ago, Wohaaa said:
9 minutes ago, Wohaaa said:

(Quote me for notifications) upon reading your post again you said audio still works and you can tab out and stuff. I had a similar problem and it was the monitor in that one. Almost exactly the same scenario, so I apologize for my previous conclusion.

I found out that the monitor in question was unstable in its power draw and had to be plugged into a completely separate outlet to function, which is why I no longer use that monitor. So this time, don't use the ultrawide at all, use the other one and see if the problem still occurs.

If you're sure it's not the monitors though and, as you say, it's the drivers, then try running on Integrated graphics for a while. It's a z590 motherboard so you're using an Intel processor. Unless it's a KF processor it should have an iGPU and if the problem doesn't occur with that then it may be either the graphics card drivers or (hopefully not) the graphics card itself.

So the problem occurred again even on the new installation. So I’m making some food and taking a break. I just thought of using the regular monitor instead of the ultrawide. But I never thought of the outlet it’s plugged into. I think the outlet the monitor is plugged into is fine, but I currently have my pc’s power plugged into an old extension cable. Do you think it could be the power supply is not getting good power from the extension cable, thus my screen goes black? 

1 hour ago, chesterfan123 said:

I just tried with the normal monitor, plugged into a different socket, and switched the gpu to a different pci slot, but none of those worked. I also tried plugging the monitor into the motherboard but got no signal. Should I be concerned?

1 hour ago, chesterfan123 said:

I just tried with the normal monitor, plugged into a different socket, and switched the gpu to a different pci slot, but none of those worked. I also tried plugging the monitor into the motherboard but got no signal. Should I be concerned?

sorry, was busy with stuff.

you have to go into the BIOS and actually set the graphics to be the integrated graphics to get a display output from the motherboard, and you have to take the graphics card out so it only uses the igpu.

also if possible tell what processor you're using.

with everything you've said it really does feel like it's the GPU, we'll know for sure once you can try this experiment

2 hours ago, chesterfan123 said:

Do you think it could be the power supply is not getting good power from the extension cable, thus my screen goes black?

i dont think it's this because you said you can still hear audio and alt tab and control your computer. the problem is with the display signal reaching the monitor as far as i can tell

could you please post your speccs of your system. as well as a picture of the inside where you could see most of your hardware. thank you

and I do agree with @Wohaaa try only running your IGPU and

7 hours ago, chesterfan123 said:

screen goes black whenever I download,

start downloading something try to reproduce your problem. 

Furthermore you could try to force restart your GPU driver as soon as you have the problem (while your Graphiccard is installed)

Win-controll-Shift-b

does force your driver to restart. is a short term solution

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

8 hours ago, SamClan said:

could you please post your speccs of your system. as well as a picture of the inside where you could see most of your hardware. thank you

and I do agree with @Wohaaa try only running your IGPU and

start downloading something try to reproduce your problem. 

Furthermore you could try to force restart your GPU driver as soon as you have the problem (while your Graphiccard is installed)

Win-controll-Shift-b

does force your driver to restart. is a short term solution

Hello, after tinkering around I think I have found the problem, but still don’t know how to fix it.

this black screen problem only occurs when I have my gpu drivers installed, this is why it blacks screens when downloading something as it occurs when I download the drivers. After that, I cannot login to the PC as I black screen when I click the Lock Screen when the NVIDIA gpu drivers are installed.

I am using igpu to test this and it is correct. If I don’t have gpu drivers installed, the gpu works fine. However, when I try to install an older version of these drivers, the gpu still black screens, it seems that every NVIDIA gpu driver caused black screen. And now every time I plug in my gpu it automatically redownloads the last drivers I had so it blacks screens on Lock Screen again, I can only use my CPU’s igpu to navigate my pc.

I want to try your method of restarting gpu drivers but the problem is I can’t even get into the desktop with the gpu installed or else it blacks screens. If you have any suggestions please let me know. My gpu is currently not working with any drivers.

specs: rog z590-e

rtx 3060

i9 10900K

corsair rm850x power supply

16gb Corsair vengeance memory

temps are all relatively low.

17 hours ago, chesterfan123 said:

I want to try your method of restarting gpu drivers but the problem is I can’t even get into the desktop with the gpu installed or else it blacks screens. If you have any suggestions please let me know. My gpu is currently not working with any drivers.

man im really not used to using this site, sorry for the delay.

in situations like these i think its some kind of existing trace of driver files causing an issue. this is why DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) was made, which completely removes every trace of a driver, for solving problems like these or for some other reason, whatever that may be.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

take the graphics card out, use this program to completely remove the nvidia drivers, and then download some new drivers, and hopefully that should fix the issue and remove the files causing the issue in the first place. it's best to use it in Safe Mode. id highly recommend reading the instructions thoroughly from start to finish because you don't wanna mess up this kind of thing.

so, use the igpu, go to safe mode, use the program to get rid of the drivers, then download new drivers. to the computer, these new drivers will be completely fresh and untouched so that hopefully fixes the issue. if not, then you'll have to test the gpu in another computer because it might be a hardware problem, but hopefully that isnt the case.