B450 or B550 - I have decided every part for my first PC build except for the motherboard

Arvin0

Budget (including currency): Around $800 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming 

Other details (CPU: Ryzen 5 5600, GPU: RX 6600, storage: 1tb nvme samsung 970 evo, RAM: 2x8 GB 3600, CPU cooler: stock cooler, PSU: 450 watts coolermaster)

Hey guys! I'm building my first ever pc and I'm very undecided what motherboard to get between the b450 and b550. At first, I wanted to go with the b450 cause it's cheaper by about 20 to 60 dollars USD depending on the variety. But at the same time, I don't want to miss out on b550 features and performance. So I guess my question is does pcie gen 4 matter for my build and do I get performance/fps boost if I go with the b550?

PS. big fan of Linus and the community for years now and I'm really happy that I could finally build a pc.

4 minutes ago, Arvin0 said:

does pcie gen 4 matter for my build and do I get performance/fps boost if I go with the b550?

With a 6600 and a 5600, yes, but a small one, roughly 2-3% at most for games if there's an improvement at all. It'll only realistically be noticeable if you want to do benchmarking. Compare the prices of a good B450 board (MSI tended to have the ones with the best VRMs on B450 with their mid to high end boards, but the TUF boards were solid as well, same with the Steel Legend series) and a half decent B550 board. If it's ~$20-30 more to go with the B450 board of a roughly the same VRM quality, go for the B550 board, otherwise just save your money with the B450 board and put that towards a better cooler or a better PSU.

B550, you'll just be setting yourself back if you get a B450.  Pcie gen 4 GPUs have full bandwidth and so do gen 4 nvme drives too.