Appraisal on second hand PC

JamZam

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D Generalist work (including heavy FX simulation), gaming, music production

Other details: A friend of mine is selling his workstation, and I'm interested in buying it. We're both in Canada right now but the PC was originally purchased in the US, so prices are all in USD. We both don't really know how to value second hand parts, but I did look into what it costs to buy everything brand new. He also sent me the following screenshot for the specs on the machine, everything is still the same EXCEPT for the GPU, which has been upgraded to a 3080ti:

spacer.png

I put something together on pcpartpicker that was as close as I could find to the existing specs on this machine, and it totalled $5031.55 USD. He payed the builder $6385 USD back in 2020.

How much would you guys say this is worth second hand? Is 50% of buying everything new a good way to go, or should we go higher/lower than that?

6 minutes ago, JamZam said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D Generalist work (including heavy FX simulation), gaming, music production

Other details: A friend of mine is selling his workstation, and I'm interested in buying it. We're both in Canada right now but the PC was originally purchased in the US, so prices are all in USD. We both don't really know how to value second hand parts, but I did look into what it costs to buy everything brand new. He also sent me the following screenshot for the specs on the machine, everything is still the same EXCEPT for the GPU, which has been upgraded to a 3080ti:

spacer.png

I put something together on pcpartpicker that was as close as I could find to the existing specs on this machine, and it totalled $5031.55 USD. He payed the builder $6385 USD back in 2020.

How much would you guys say this is worth second hand? Is 50% of buying everything new a good way to go, or should we go higher/lower than that?

For me, atleast one thing is sure :
NVLink Bridge is pretty much useless, unless you plan to run a double 3090 or 3090ti.
So unless he's giving it for free, me, I won't pay for it.

Definitely need more detail about the Motherboard (unless the motherboard is not in the deal) & PSU.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

That's a monster! Offer him $2000 for it and we'll work something out if he says yes...🤣

EDIT  Ask him to be more specific as in brands if your paying good money for it.

Edited by JKRsega

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

For me, atleast one thing is sure :
NVLink Bridge is pretty much useless, unless you plan to run a double 3090 or 3090ti.
So unless he's giving it for free, me, I won't pay for it.

Definitely need more detail about the Motherboard (unless the motherboard is not in the deal) & PSU.

Yeah, definitely won't be paying extra for NVLink Bridge. I asked for more info on mobo and PSU, but he said it might take a while to find out. In the meantime I'm running on the assumption that it's gonna be a cheap/mid-tier option for both.

Edit: So to be more specific, the motherboards I found for this socket ranges from $1000-2000 USD, I picked one around $1000 for my $5000 estimate.

4 minutes ago, JamZam said:

Is 50% of buying everything new a good way to go, or should we go higher/lower than that?

Yes and no. 50% would work out well in your favor with this build. The 3960x still holds a lot of value used as will that RAM and GPU. 

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=3960x+threadripper&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ddr4+3200+mhz+16gb&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=3080ti&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Just those three components used on Ebay Canada have been going for around 3000 CAD together. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

original price divided by 2 is a good place to start.

there's a lot of vague references in there, i wouldnt bet on that psu and watercooler being top notch products if they arent proudly listed.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

original price divided by 2 is a good place to start.

there's a lot of vague references in there, i wouldnt bet on that psu and watercooler being top notch products if they arent proudly listed.

This is what I'm assuming too, most likely mobo, psu and watercooler are all cheap-ish low or mid-tier products. As low tier as you get with a build like this anyway.

31 minutes ago, JamZam said:

Yeah, definitely won't be paying extra for NVLink Bridge. I asked for more info on mobo and PSU, but he said it might take a while to find out. In the meantime I'm running on the assumption that it's gonna be a cheap/mid-tier option for both.

Edit: So to be more specific, the motherboards I found for this socket ranges from $1000-2000 USD, I picked one around $1000 for my $5000 estimate.

My take personally. What @IkeaGnome said above.

Although :
if the PSU is a bleh one, I'm going to drive it's price to the ground.

Since I won't be comfy with using bleh PSU for a 3080ti and a Threadripper, and gonna need to buy a better one.
Either that or remove it from the deal.

3080ti is fairly new, so he definitely won't sell it for 50% price (unless he's really desperate or dumb).

He knows his gears, he's just offering you first to cut down troubles with selling used things. I guess.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Check each items for average price in ebay. 3rd gen Threadripper still have a good price since amd not releasing any new replacement chip yet.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w