Need a special power supply for Asus ROG STRIX B550-F?

sofu0775

So im building a new pc and i already have the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F. The problem is that im a newbie and im not really sure what psu to buy. My parts list is here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nx3prD. I would really appreciate if anybody would help me find one.

My big problem is that i get a message on pcpartpicker: 

• The Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CX450M (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

I was going to buy "ASUS ROG STRIX 650G PSU- 650 Watt" but if you guys know another psu there would be better or just cheaper then i would be more than happy to know.

Edited by sofu0775
More info

Personally id put a 750w in this system for a bit of upgradibility, but you can get buy with a quality 650

So im building a new pc and i already have the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F. The problem is that im a newbie and im not really sure what psu to buy. My parts list is here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nx3prD. I would really appreciate if anybody would help me find one. My big problem is that i get a message on pcpartpicker on most of the psu's i find: 

• The Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CX450M (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

I was going to buy "ASUS ROG STRIX 650G" but if you guys know another psu there would be better or just cheaper then i would be more than happy to know.

you want a bigger PSU than 450W.

You should get at least a 550.

As for having both 8 pin and 4 pin, you only need to hook up the 8 pin, unless you plan to do a lot of overclocking, at which point you may need both.

Edit: I'm running a 10th gen Intel i9, with only the 8 pin populated.  the 4 pin is empty, and it's fine.

1 minute ago, sofu0775 said:

So im building a new pc and i already have the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F. The problem is that im a newbie and im not really sure what psu to buy. My parts list is here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nx3prD. I would really appreciate if anybody would help me find one. My big problem is that i get a message on pcpartpicker on most of the psu's i find: 

I was going to buy "ASUS ROG STRIX 650G" but if you guys know another psu there would be better or just cheaper then i would be more than happy to know.

MSI MPG AGF 750 will last you a long time!  It's not cheap but has full modular design, meaning you only plug what leads you need to make your system work instead of jamming them all in the back and it's very high quality 80+ gold.

450W should be fine if you are not planning to upgrade anytime soon. You might need to do some undervolting to control the power consumption spikes but it should be fine without undervolting.

The 8 pin can handle 396W by current spec, and since the connectors are wired in parallel you don't need to have both plugged in. The only way for that 4 pin to be useful is if you're running a 3950X/5950X on LN2. If you're gonna run literally anything else on LN2 or stick run it at ambient, the 4 pin doesn't need to be there, and if you were gonna run a board on LN2 you would 1) have gotten a different motherboard and 2) be looking at much higher end PSUs. 

For a system with a 3060, I'd want at least a 550W, and given the price difference between a 650W and a 550W is relatively small, I'd just get a 650W. The EVGA G5 650W is currently at a good price and a pretty good unit as well. 

Threads merged and moved to the Power Supplies section. Please do not post the same topic multiple times.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You don't need the second EPS12V connector for yout build.  So you're fine.

Ignore PC Part Picker here. At this point, I have to wonder if their staff has actually built or used PC or are just using iMac's.