Vga Debug Led on motherboard tried everything.

The_Thanatos

Okay so let's start with my pc,

X570 gaming edge wifi 

Ryzen 9 5900x

RTX 3080 founders edition

32gb corsair dominator ram 

HX1200 psu

So this is my first custom build but I did upgrades on my last pc which was a pre-built and all I did was upgrade ram motherboard and gpu this is the first time I basically put each piece in together without a guide of "okay this is where the last piece went easy replace." I put everything together as I know it should all be put in I plugged everything in as it should be and turned it on. Pc booted up and everything turned on but I got the VGA debug led on my mobo and so I was like uh oh I might have bricked my gpu so I was like well let's check if I did so I put in my old gpu and nope same problem I was like ok let me try a 1050ti so I can maybe rule out bad pcie cables nope still VGA I made sure that my cpu and gpu both were compatible with the mobo so I would have the least amount of trouble now after thinking maybe all my gpus ate dead I built a pc for my bud using the 1050ti and worked no problem same with my old gpu also worked which makes me think okay so not gpu and everywhere I look some places say oh update your bios. Yes....let me update that with 0 visual like idk how that's even possible I'm not the biggest expert clearly but I'd like to say I know a bit but I'm just lost I've reset cmos and I've also been told to flash bios but I heard that's so risky and still can't even get into anything I have exhausted every option monitor, hdmi cable, dp cable, used 2 separate pcie cables rather then 1 put the gpu in the other slot, unplugged and made sure everything was plugged in right. I'm just so lost and I've spent so much money on my dream pc for it to basically be a brick.....please someone help.

Are BIOS on board and GPU both up to date?

Also, Ryzens are very fussy about RAM and don't seem to like Corsair. I've seem cases where they'd tolerate it for awhile and then finally give the middle finger.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5900x is officially supported starting from version 1F of that board's BIOS.

On the downloads page, it shows version 1F of the BIOS was released on 2021-07-06 and usually it would take a month or two for a company to switch to programming the latest bios version in freshly made motherboards, so it's quite possible that motherboard was manufactured in late 2021 and still came with a previous BIOS version.

The motherboard has a flash bios button ... so all you have to do is read the instructions in the manual (you can download the manual).

Basically it goes something like this

Download the bios file (get the latest that's not alfa or beta, but you need at least version 1F), and unpack the archive.

You may need to rename the bios file to a specific file name, like MSI.ROM or 7C37.ROM - 7C37 is the MSI's unique code for this motherboard, it's in all bios download file names. The name is in the manual.

Format a USB stick to FAT32 and copy the file there.

Remove the video card AND the processor from the cpu socket,  plug the usb stick in the USB port that's dedicate to programming BIOS (it says in manual)

Press the Flash bios button on the IO shield ... you should see a led start to blink ... wait a few minutes and then unplug usb stick, install CPU back in the socket, mount the cooler and your bios should be updated. 

You do need to remove the CPU from the cpu socket, there's a tiny microcontroller on the motherboard which reads the bios from usb stick and programs the bios, so the CPU is not needed in the socket and could actually get the pc stuck.

I was thinking more in terms of the 3080 being supported. It should be, but I've seen a B450M Bazooka fight a brand-new GTX1650S tooth and nail, booting fine with its original GT1030 before it shut down and wouldn't power on. Usually see it with older boards like A320s and such, but on some that support older PCIe devices, it is necessary to remove support for those older devices as support is added for newer ones. Saw an A320 that wouldn't boot with a brand-new 3600. Come to find out the BIOS update for the 3600 removed some PCIe device support and they had to upgrade the board to use the 3600 with their other devices because the board wouldn't do it with the BIOS updates available.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Are BIOS on board and GPU both up to date?

Also, Ryzens are very fussy about RAM and don't seem to like Corsair. I've seem cases where they'd tolerate it for awhile and then finally give the middle finger.

I'm not sure if the gpu is and I'm not currently aware of how to find out nor was I aware this was a thing so I'll do some research on that and I'm not sure if bios is but it ran all my old specs fine. Which was a ryzen 5 3600x and a 2080 same ram.

1 minute ago, The_Thanatos said:

I'm not sure if the gpu is and I'm not currently aware of how to find out nor was I aware this was a thing so I'll do some research on that and I'm not sure if bios is but it ran all my old specs fine. Which was a ryzen 5 3600x and a 2080 same ram.

Actually, i wasn't either, until someone else here mentioned it. I knew about BIOS updates on motherboards, but apparently some GPUs have flashable BIOS also.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, An0maly_76 said:

Actually, i wasn't either, until someone else here mentioned it. I knew about BIOS updates on motherboards, but apparently some GPUs have flashable BIOS also.

Hello so apparently my account was ban or deleted idk made me make a new account so just wanted to reply and let you know that the cause was actually.......a new hard drive that was corrupted I unplugged all the new drives I put in and bam turned on so I just went 1 by 1 to find the bad one and I got it working. Was so mad but same time laughing my butt off on how simple of a fix it was. 

20220712_001442.jpg

How did you get banned at two posts? 🤣

Yeah, sometimes the problem isn't what you might think, or even all that obvious. For example, I've just about narrowed down an issue I have of random boots with no video to either having my M.2 boot drive in the primary M.2 slot, or perhaps my display is just being stupid and doesn't know what to do with the signal it's getting. It's consistently identified the HDMI from my GPU as DVI-I, and the night I swapped the M.2 from primary to secondary (will still boot that way, but supposedly primary slot makes the GPU fight the M.2 for bandwidth), the display actually thought the resolution for the TUF Gaming splash screen was... 640x480?

As it is, I doubt I'll be buying another Sceptre display, for other reasons, but I am really going to be aggravated if it continues to be an issue because I think that is pretty much going to mean the display has been the problem the entire time. I've had other issues, like with recording gameplay video, say, if the desktop resolution was 3840x2160, and the game was being played fullscreen at 2560x1440, the game resolution would get tucked into a 2560x1440 upper left corner of a 3840x2160 video.

Like I said, just entirely stupid issues I've never seen before. And it just so happens that I bought the display about two weeks before finalizing my parts list and building the machine, so it's entirely plausible there has never been anything wrong with the machine, just the display being stupid.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!