PC monitor on AV receiver can't go to sleep

emilevirus

I bought a Yamaha RX-V4A to use with my PC. I have a Samsung G7 as a monitor. If I plug my monitor and PC into my AV receiver, then wait for my PC to go to sleep, my monitor will constantly turn off and on until I power on my PC again. I haven't found a way to fix that. There is an HDMI Standby Through parameter in my receiver's setting but it seems to have no effect. Any tips to get that fixed?

How is it connected? It's a long shot, but ARC and eARC could be confusing the PC with audio return. If that is the case, you might consider an SPID out from your motherboard to the receiver and a direct HDMI between PC and monitor.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

20 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

How is it connected? It's a long shot, but ARC and eARC could be confusing the PC with audio return. If that is the case, you might consider an SPID out from your motherboard to the receiver and a direct HDMI between PC and monitor.

Already tried that but SPID seems to be stereo only, no 5.1 support?

7 minutes ago, emilevirus said:

Already tried that but SPID seems to be stereo only, no 5.1 support?

@emilevirus Your media player software should have options to map audio as 2.1, 3.1 or 5.1. I use MPC-HC and right click on the video, then Audio Track ---> Options to get to the screen shown.

image.thumb.png.daa11d81514b7957644e2dd4c6617a39.png

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

13 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

@emilevirus Your media player software should have options to map audio as 2.1, 3.1 or 5.1. I use MPC-HC and right click on the video, then Audio Track ---> Options to get to the screen shown.

If you mean the SPDIF, be aware that it is compressed 5.1 so you will loose quality.

I'd rather stick to HDMI as I have a 15M fiber cable and I'd like to avoid having another one. Maybe there's a module to extract audio? I found some but it's SPDIF. Would need HDMI audio out..

How is your set up connected?

Generally speaking I'd only use the AVR for audio out and leave monitors directly plugged into the computer.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

31 minutes ago, cmndr said:

How is your set up connected?

Generally speaking I'd only use the AVR for audio out and leave monitors directly plugged into the computer.

I used to do that. HDMI for audio to my AVR then Dp to my monitor, but I'd like to move my PC in another room but 2 cables would be kinda dumb just to get audio. Dem fiber cables ain`t cheap 😕

3 hours ago, emilevirus said:

I used to do that. HDMI for audio to my AVR then Dp to my monitor, but I'd like to move my PC in another room but 2 cables would be kinda dumb just to get audio. Dem fiber cables ain`t cheap 😕

Ah the pursuit of silence. Also less heat.

If you want a dirty hack - smart switch(es) [not networking, electrical] and see if you can hook EVERYTHING up to some sort of IFTT style script. OR look into something similar to a harmony remote.

The other path might be drilling a hole in a wall and letting the gear immediately behind that wall.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800