13 Fan Airflow Question

Glacious
Go to solution Solved by jones177,

I have 2x Lian Li o11 dynamic setups and one Dynamic EVO setup and I found that most of the GPU hot air is exhausted out the side and dose not reach the top. So my AIO setups are on top.

My 5900x setup has a 400 watt FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti that puts out a silly amount of heat gaming but the 5900x but the games in the 50s and Cinebench in the 60s.

Parts are listed below.

Afternoon All,

Just after some help if possible, I recently upgraded my system and as far as I know I think I set the fans up correctly but lately due to some rather high temps I was hoping I could get some opinions of my fan setup and to make sure if I the airflow done correctly as I am now starting to suspect the rear fan is possibly the wrong way round???

As for the AIO pump I have the fans the same way round on the rear of the radiator assuming front fans are pulling the air through the radiator and the rear ones are pulling it through from the back and out the rear air vents.

Hope I haven't had a brain fart here.....

Bottom 3 Fans: Pulling Air In
Top 3 Fans: Exhausting Out
Rear Single Fan: Exhausting Air Out
AIO Fans Front and Rear: Exhausting Air Out

As for the marks on the glass its still in its new plastic peel 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help.

20220628_153101.jpg

20220628_153111.jpg

20220628_153116.jpg

20220628_153120.jpg

5 minutes ago, Glacious said:

As for the AIO pump I have the fans the same way round on the rear of the radiator assuming front fans are pulling the air through the radiator and the rear ones are pulling it through from the back and out the rear air vents.

Assuming you have it as you say you have it (as I cannot verify from the photos) then yes, you have a push-pull configuration correctly set up for an exhausting AIO, which is in my opinion the correct way to set it up. Your other fans are also fine in my opinion, although inevitably people will let you know that you have a net negative pressure assuming all the fans contribute to flow equally (which they don't). So you may want to slow down your top exhaust to balance the pressure a little bit but don't let it bother you too much.

You have bottom intake, front, rear and top as exit. Correct? Means GPU gets coolest air, heats it up and then CPU get around 1/3rd of the total hot air to cool itself down.

Personally I like my CPU to first have it share of cold air because it will heat up the air the least, while my GPU will always be running hottest when playing games.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Define high temps. And specs. We need specs. Not every processor runs the same temp.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Spec Wise would help apologies!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
GPU: ASUS DUAL RTX 2060 OC
RAM: 64 GB Corsair DDR4 PC 3200

As for high temps I mean it does push 90 degrees at times but at the point I am really pushing it with 9 x instances of FFXIV running, OBS running to stream, and a handful of other little programs.

GPU is normally running high temp wise due to running all the above.

Just was not sure if that is normal when pushing it that hard or was down to me and my fans setup being not quite right.

5 minutes ago, venomtail said:

You have bottom intake, front, rear and top as exit. Correct? Means GPU gets coolest air, heats it up and then CPU get around 1/3rd of the total hot air to cool itself down.

Personally I like my CPU to first have it share of cold air because it will heat up the air the least, while my GPU will always be running hottest when playing games.

That's correct the only intake are the bottom 3 fans and the rest are all exhausts at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Glacious said:

That's correct the only intake are the bottom 3 fans and the rest are all exhausts at the moment.

Try swapping top or front as intake. Try seeing if CPU getting a bit of cold air first drops CPU temps without affecting GPU that much.

How high are your "high" temps, maybe you're already at peak performance, just forgotten it can't get any better 😉 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Bottom of that case looks very restrictive. You see mostly metal through the fans when in an ideal case you see a dust filter or what is under the case. Try using higher rpm for intake and make sure you dont have push&push for the radiator.

Instead of going through the hassle of reversing the fans, just remove all the side panels and see what difference it makes. 

I have 2x Lian Li o11 dynamic setups and one Dynamic EVO setup and I found that most of the GPU hot air is exhausted out the side and dose not reach the top. So my AIO setups are on top.

My 5900x setup has a 400 watt FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti that puts out a silly amount of heat gaming but the 5900x but the games in the 50s and Cinebench in the 60s.

Parts are listed below.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

11 minutes ago, jones177 said:

Parts are listed below.

I have to say when I built this I was very torn between mounting the AIO on top or on the side as it is now as it was very 50/50 in terms of the information I found saying which is best. I mean I am currently playing FFXIV, watching Twitch, browsing the web etc and it is sitting at a constant 54 degrees, I will keep everything the same and remove side panels just to see if anything changes drastically.

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

Bottom of that case looks very restrictive. You see mostly metal through the fans when in an ideal case you see a dust filter or what is under the case. Try using higher rpm for intake and make sure you dont have push&push for the radiator.

Yea I do agree with that now looking at it, there was a dust filter there as well with the bottom 3 fans which I removed but still a lot of metal in the way. Wondering if changing the single rear fan to an intake would make any difference?

I have had it running without side panels or top on and my temps have gone from 55/56 degrees with panels on to 52/53 degrees with all panels removed.

Is that a big enough difference to warrant changing anything?

35 minutes ago, Glacious said:

I have had it running without side panels or top on and my temps have gone from 55/56 degrees with panels on to 52/53 degrees with all panels removed.

Is that a big enough difference to warrant changing anything?

imo, no.

2 hours ago, Glacious said:

Yea I do agree with that now looking at it, there was a dust filter there as well with the bottom 3 fans which I removed but still a lot of metal in the way.

My regular Dynamics are the same but it is fixed with the new EVO version.

They all use Noctua NF-A12x25s that are not pretty but are much better at doing the gob. The 3090 ti rig only needs 2 to bench in the 60s.

2 hours ago, Glacious said:

Wondering if changing the single rear fan to an intake would make any difference?

I have a rear fan installed in the EVO but it does not do a thing.  I think it is the proximity to the top exhaust fans that make it redundant.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Well after a lot of changing fans directions and changing AIO location it seems I have found the sweet spot! At least for my setup.

I have moved the AIO to the top location instead of the side (Cheers @jones177) with a both sets of 3 fans on the radiator set to exhaust the air.

The side where the AIO used to be is now a set of 3 Exhaust fans, I tried these as intakes and dear god the temps where all over the place fluctuating from 50-70 degrees, and as soon as I changed them the exhaust I now get a constant idle temp of 45-46 on the CPU and 42 on the GPU which is way better that it previously was.

Thanks for all the advice with this.