AM4 board recommendation?

I've currently got a complete system, but I got a good deal on a 5950X and I'm not sure the VRM on my Asrock board is up to the task of 16 cores and 32 threads in the long term (ASRock X570M Pro4 is the board).

Specs: 5950X

6800XT

32GB of DDR4 3600

MP600 non-Pro NVMe SSD

Fractal Design Meshify C Mini case

Fractal Design ION+ 860W PSU

Is there a Micro ATX board that I can swap over to that has better VRM's, while still giving me Gen4 for the NVMe drive? I keep thinking I should stick with X570, but B550 I think I'm going to table plans for a second NVMe drive... My Unicorn board would have good VRM's while also giving me two full Gen4 X4 PCIe slots that don't share bandwidth with the X16 slot.

Reflashing isn't a problem because I have access to a 3900XT.

I'm currently using a Noctua NH-D15S, but I have a second fan and the header splitter to convert to dual fans, but I might end up doing a custom loop with a 240mm Rad instead.

I'd be willing to go with a different case for a larger board, but it would HAVE to give me the Gen4 PCIE slots with full speed X16/X4/X4, I don't care about nor need any X1 slots.

Edit: omg I almost forgot the PSU, most important piece in the entire system. o.x

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I mean, I'd look at the VRM temps from the current board first. It's not amazing but it can likely to be fine. 

if u are willing to go for a larger case i can recommend the asus x570-e gaming, not the -f coz that one has less vrm

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, I'd look at the VRM temps from the current board first. It's not amazing but it can likely to be fine. 

Hm I'm not sure if the board reports VRM temps; I've got a Temp gun I can use, or I could grab a stick-on kit with a thermal probe. I know from past experience that the VRM heatsink gets pretty hot; Like, I burned my finger on it hot, but that doesn't really mean much.

15 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Hm I'm not sure if the board reports VRM temps; I've got a Temp gun I can use, or I could grab a stick-on kit with a thermal probe. I know from past experience that the VRM heatsink gets pretty hot; Like, I burned my finger on it hot, but that doesn't really mean much.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a VRM temp sensor, if the board doesn't have one, yeah replace the board. 

There are a number of different B550M boards with good VRMs on them, the Aorus B550M Pro-P, the ASRock B550M Steel Legend, TUF B550M-Plus, etc. I'd avoid the X570 boards though, they're not really better than their B550 counter parts feature wise, and they are a lot more expensive. 

I have a Strix B550-XE running a 5900X with 4x8GB. It’s a solid board.. it has the VRM’s that you seek. It also comes with an Asus Hyper M.2 card, where you can plug in up to 4 2280 M.2 drives, and have 2 on the board. It also has SLi, but you probably don’t need that. Mine was on sale luckily.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

Obecnie mam kompletny system, ale mam dobrą ofertę na 5950X i nie jestem pewien, czy VRM na mojej płycie Asrock jest w stanie sprostać zadaniu 16 rdzeni i 32 wątków w dłuższej perspektywie (ASRock X570M Pro4 jest tablica).

Specyfikacja: 5950X

6800XT

32 GB pamięci DDR4 3600

Dysk SSD MP600 inny niż Pro NVMe

Fractal Design Meshify C Mini etui

Fractal Design ION+ 860W zasilacz

Czy istnieje płyta Micro ATX, którą mogę zamienić na taką, która ma lepsze VRM, a jednocześnie daje mi Gen4 dla napędu NVMe? Ciągle myślę, że powinienem pozostać przy X570, ale B550 myślę, że zamierzam rozłożyć plany na drugi dysk NVMe... Moja płyta Unicorn miałaby dobre VRM, a jednocześnie dałaby mi dwa pełne gniazda Gen4 X4 PCIe, które nie współdzielą przepustowość z gniazdem X16.

Ponowne flashowanie nie stanowi problemu, ponieważ mam dostęp do 3900XT.

Obecnie używam Noctua NH-D15S, ale mam drugi wentylator i rozdzielacz nagłówka do konwersji na dwa wentylatory, ale zamiast tego mogę zrobić niestandardową pętlę z 240 mm Rad.

Byłbym skłonny wybrać inną obudowę dla większej płyty, ale MUSISZ dać mi gniazda PCIE Gen4 z pełną prędkością X16/X4/X4, nie obchodzi mnie ani nie potrzebuję żadnych gniazd X1.

Edycja: omg Prawie zapomniałem zasilacza, najważniejszego elementu w całym systemie. wół

Hi @Sarra There is no exist b550 motherboard that supports two M.2 pcie 4.0 x4 slots. I think if you won't overclock this processor on this asrock motherboard. It should be ok. In attachment I uploaded screenshots of the test Hardware unboxed similar( with the same vrm design) asrock x570 pro 4 motherboard with ryzen 9 3900x 

OC-4-o.png

Screenshot_20220628-012950.png

Screenshot_20220628-013024.png

Edited by Crucial1706

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a VRM temp sensor, if the board doesn't have one, yeah replace the board. 

There are a number of different B550M boards with good VRMs on them, the Aorus B550M Pro-P, the ASRock B550M Steel Legend, TUF B550M-Plus, etc. I'd avoid the X570 boards though, they're not really better than their B550 counter parts feature wise, and they are a lot more expensive. 

I've got the same general feel, looking at boards, that you're correct about the X570 boards.

I might grab a regular ATX case and board, and ditch the Micro ATX.

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

I've got the same general feel, looking at boards, that you're correct about the X570 boards.

Can also get a good matx board with good vrms. I did find people having a bad time ocing on this board which had to do with it using lower end vrms. Basically their full boost clock oc would hard crash but a new board fixed it. Technically it should handle it but it might simply bebrunning too hot rn. You could try a fan directly blowing at the vrms to see if stability increases. If it does well there is your answer 😛

4 hours ago, Sarra said:

Realistically do you need the expansion options of the full ATX boards though? If you don't the B550 boards listed above are all good options with very solid VRM solutions. 

Though if there is a VRM temp sensor on the Pro4 you currently have, I would check first. The VRM on that board is definitely weaker, but the heatsink looks decent enough so I would test thermals in the stuff you're gonna do, and if you want a full torture test do Prime95 with PBO on (this is the workload that gets the VRM the hottest since it draws the most current).

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Realistically do you need the expansion options of the full ATX boards though? If you don't the B550 boards listed above are all good options with very solid VRM solutions. 

Though if there is a VRM temp sensor on the Pro4 you currently have, I would check first. The VRM on that board is definitely weaker, but the heatsink looks decent enough so I would test thermals in the stuff you're gonna do, and if you want a full torture test do Prime95 with PBO on (this is the workload that gets the VRM the hottest since it draws the most current).

I would really like to run a GPU, a 10GB Ethernet card, and have some PCIE lanes left over. With the typical mATX board, I could run the GPU and 10 gigabit ethernet, but I'd have nothing left for expansion.

I watched Buildzoid do a VRM breakdown on the X570M Pro4, and the VRM's are certainly underrated for a 5950X; the low voltage side is especially weak. Also, the heatsink is actually severely lacking, it has very little surface area, so it's more of a thermal mass than a heatsink. Now, if I was really adventurous, I would get a little 120mm rad and a VRM waterblock, and just WC the VRM, but that seems to be a bit of an odd solution to this issue. :3

My current plan is to get a Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL, a Meshify 2, and 4 similar ATX boards, and put together a system based on my 3900XT, move my 5950X over to a new system, and store the Meshify C Mini case. Two extra boards are for spares; My old server machine will get replaced when the board dies, due to no replacement boards being available for that socket/chipset anymore (Haswell), so if I want to get the most out of my 3900XT/5950X, having replacement boards will extend the system's lifetimes by (hopefully) double.