Do I Still Need Coaxial Cables?

geokilla

Do I still need coaxial cables in my home? We’re doing some renovations right now and the contractor offered to remove them. Bell has FTTH for TV and Internet but I’m not sure if Rogers is still on coaxial or not.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

A lot of FTTH implementations still use MOCA/coax instead of ethernet from the ONT to the router. Not sure about Rogers specifically. Coax runs for antennas are also useful in case you decide to go to streaming cable, many of them either don't provide all OTA networks or only selectively support them.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Why take em out  , wont hurt to leave a cable in , you can always repurpose it for basic signaling down the track.

I would probably remove all of it except key locations where you expect to put a cable modem and/or router.  I ripped most all of it out of my house when I got it.  Phone lines too.  There's just really no need. 

On 6/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, Roswell said:

A lot of FTTH implementations still use MOCA/coax instead of ethernet from the ONT to the router. Not sure about Rogers specifically. Coax runs for antennas are also useful in case you decide to go to streaming cable, many of them either don't provide all OTA networks or only selectively support them.

Bell FTTH comes in straight from outside into the main floor which I currently have it plugged into the ISP's modem. They don't use coaxial cables. Rogers' coaxial cables comes in through the garage and into the basement before splitting throughout the house. Also they're probably not RG-6 cables either. Unfortunately no way to tell since it's stapled to the wall and painted over.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, dead man jack said:

Why take em out  , wont hurt to leave a cable in , you can always repurpose it for basic signaling down the track.

What kind of signalling? I can't use it for antennas or anything. It's literally only for cable Internet and TV if Rogers still uses them.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

2 hours ago, geokilla said:

Bell FTTH comes in straight from outside into the main floor which I currently have it plugged into the ISP's modem. They don't use coaxial cables. Rogers' coaxial cables comes in through the garage and into the basement before splitting throughout the house. Also they're probably not RG-6 cables either. Unfortunately no way to tell since it's stapled to the wall and painted over.

What kind of signalling? I can't use it for antennas or anything. It's literally only for cable Internet and TV if Rogers still uses them.

any on/off state device .

There's basically 0 benefit to removing cabling that's in place, provided it's not unsightly.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800