can i use my 8 core processor and am3+ tuff motherboard as a server?

can i use my 8 core processor and am3+ tuff motherboard as a server?

A question was asked about use.: I have an insurance business and it would be home for the Website and the custom email for the agency.

I have the ASUS TUF TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R3.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX/SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard and the AMD FX-8370E Eight-Core Processor  3.31 GHz

I have 32GB ram with the M.2 Socket as the Default. I am looking to make a server from it if i can. I dont have a lot of volume right now but I plan on having it act as an email server with separate logins for my agents.

I did not think the Video card made a difference so I kept the K600 on it. It is a very smooth system at current setup but I dont want to spend excess money on a server if i dont need to.. I will love any suggestion. here is a video of the build:

My first impression is that this sounds very power-hungry for a server.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

For a home server, doing low-power unimportant things?  It'd be fine.

For a workplace?  I would have a lot of misgivings about that setup. 

Server for what? Minecraft? probably. Heavy 3D rendering? No, too powerhungry and slow. Server for sharing files on your home network? Fine. So without knowing what exactly you want to do with it, we can't answer.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Server for what? Minecraft? probably. Heavy 3D rendering? No, too powerhungry and slow. Server for sharing files on your home network? Fine. So without knowing what exactly you want to do with it, we can't answer.

insurance

Yes. PS, there were no 8 core AM3 cpus. FX8350 performed on par with a Sandy bridge i3 that was released 2 years prior, it is fine just very inefficient.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I believe the CPU only uses about 95 watts. i think

3 minutes ago, masterful68 said:

insurance

So an e-mail server? Would probably work, but it will just use a ton of power and produce a lot of heat, but seems fine for a small volume.

95w is not good for a cpu, that performs worse than a modern 15w cpu.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Yes. PS, there were no 8 core AM3 cpus. FX8350 performed on par with a Sandy bridge i3 that was released 2 years prior, it is fine just very inefficient.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8370e

atform
Boxed Processor
Product Family
AMD FX-Series Processors
Product Line
AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition Processors
# of CPU Cores
# of Threads
Max. Boost Clock
Up to 4.3GHz
Base Clock
3.3GHz
L1 Cache
384KB
L2 Cache
8MB
L3 Cache
8MB
Default TDP
95W
Processor Technology for CPU Cores
32nm SOI
Unlocked for Overclocking 
Yes
CPU Socket
AM3+
Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax)
70.5°C

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

For a home server, doing low-power unimportant things?  It'd be fine.

For a workplace?  I would have a lot of misgivings about that setup. 

I am open to suggestions

1 minute ago, masterful68 said:

I am open to suggestions

Use standard services, self-hosting your website and email is probably a bad idea if you depend on it for your business, and/or are not really experienced in that sort of thing. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, masterful68 said:

I am open to suggestions

What you're talking about is an 8+ year old box that is expected to be reliable as a server in a business environment.

That's not really a good plan, cuz hardware does die.

low end mail hosting and the like is not expensive to get hosted online.  

5 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Use standard services, self-hosting your website and email is probably a bad idea if you depend on it for your business, and/or are not really experienced in that sort of thing. 

This. I'd go for the $3 a month Exchange Online plans with Microsoft, personally. Excellent service overall.

Webhosting with any cheapo hosting provider that fits your requirements. Still cheaper a month than running an FX system.

Self hosting e-mail will 90% guaranteed cause spam issues. Your ISP might not even allow you to run a server yourself.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, masterful68 said:

Yes, I have been around computer for a lot longer than to remember what these were. If you were to read the actual article I listed, you would know why these were not 8 core cpus.

AMD advertised the CPUs as eight-core chips, but each chip only had four “dual-core modules” with separate execution units; other resources like cache and a single floating point unit (FPU) were shared across the module. AMD says that those modules counted as two cores each, for a total of eight, but customers alleged that since the modules couldn’t actually run separate processes, they only should count as a single core for a total of four cores, not the eight that AMD claimed.

Anyways, I personally would not touch FX series CPUs with a 10 meter stick for any use case of mine. Power expenses alone makes cloud providers much better for your use case.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Don't cobble together servers out of old junk if you're going to rely on them for your business.

If this is going to be public-facing or mission critical, you're better off renting a VPS hosted in a datacenter with guaranteed service agreements.

For essential services like email, you're better off with a service like Office 365 or GSuite than trying to roll something out yourself. (Especially email, it's easy to get blacklisted as a spammer if your server gets taken over.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

As others said, self hosting a public facing website is not a great idea unless you are well versed in all things security. 

If any exploits are, well, exploited, someone could easily gain access to the box and potentially laterally move across your network unless you implement proper firewall rules and subnet it out away from everything else. This is just the security side of things … oh and don’t forget you will have to be the admin to make sure all things are patched to protect against said security vulnerabilities. 

This is really something a cloud provider can do better, for the security reasons, but also you time, and access speed. And as far as email goes, you will likely want business emails backed up with full confidence the backup solution will actually work in the event you need it to...  Not that you can’t set this up yourself, but again, for a business environment there are pretty affordable email services which likely make sense to use over this idea. 

Plus, as others said, FX probably isn’t the best bet. Could it work, sure. Should you do it tho? Probably not?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air