Not Impressed

stuckonthis

For years I have been using my creative speakers for my old gen pc, it has a base box and 4 speakers with 3 line in jacks to get the job done, on my new build there is only 1 port on the mobo to put a line in cable so I can only use 2 speakers, why did they do this and what do I have to buy now to get the pink green and black ports to stick the connectors in, do I need to buy a sound card now or something?

I think it's a safe assumption that most speakers accept more than just a line-out. If they don't, then it's time for a serious upgrade. There should be options for digital connections to the receiver (if apparent). A line-out connection isn't the cleanest method either. Digital/balanced is the way to go.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

Well my Realtek Digital Output is not working there is no sound even coming out of it I have to use the standard one and its not good enough.  My speakers require 3 outputs are there are 5 speakers

40 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

I think it's a safe assumption that most speakers accept more than just a line-out. If they don't, then it's time for a serious upgrade. There should be options for digital connections to the receiver (if apparent). A line-out connection isn't the cleanest method either. Digital/balanced is the way to go.

That depends, you can only 4+ speakers PCM out from HDMI or DisplayPort, SPDIF is limited to stereo so you're not much better off there.

2 minutes ago, stuckonthis said:

Well my Realtek Digital Output is not working there is no sound even coming out of it I have to use the standard one and its not good enough.  My speakers require 3 outputs are there are 5 speakers

Not aware of any standard motherboard with less than 3 analog audio connectors though.  Confused why you would do a new-build with less audio connectors than you need.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

53 minutes ago, stuckonthis said:

For years I have been using my creative speakers for my old gen pc, it has a base box and 4 speakers with 3 line in jacks to get the job done, on my new build there is only 1 port on the mobo to put a line in cable so I can only use 2 speakers, why did they do this and what do I have to buy now to get the pink green and black ports to stick the connectors in, do I need to buy a sound card now or something?

Oh so you have a 5.1 setup. Why did you get a board without 5.1 audio?

The solution here is a soundcard. Doesn't have to be anything special just one that has all your ports you need.

29 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That depends, you can only 4+ speakers PCM out from HDMI or DisplayPort, SPDIF is limited to stereo so you're not much better off there.

Not aware of any standard motherboard with less than 3 analog audio connectors though.  Confused why you would do a new-build with less audio connectors than you need.

Well since it's a z690 aorus 12 gen I thought I was rocking and rolling

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh so you have a 5.1 setup. Why did you get a board without 5.1 audio?

The solution here is a soundcard. Doesn't have to be anything special just one that has all your ports you need.

Cool, whats really bothering me though is that the realtek digital output has no sound, I put it on test but it only showed the green graphic light move which tells me it does function but there is no sound, yes I have set it to default with no luck so i am stuck this the standard speaker.

1 minute ago, stuckonthis said:

Cool, whats really bothering me though is that the realtek digital output has no sound, I put it on test but it only showed the green graphic light move which tells me it does function but there is no sound, yes I have set it to default with no luck so i am stuck this the standard speaker.

Can you show me the cable setup of the creative speakers and how you are plugging them in? The board you have has 5.1 audio support.

Whats the model of the creative speakers?

46 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Can you show me the cable setup of the creative speakers and how you are plugging them in? The board you have has 5.1 audio support.

Whats the model of the creative speakers?

It does not have 5.1 support let alone digital support it only has 2 ports at the back where you stick the speaker cables in and next to it there is a square socket which is covered over that says SPDIF,  This piece of crap is worse than my giggabyte z77 ddr3.

17 minutes ago, stuckonthis said:

It does not have 5.1 support let alone digital support it only has 2 ports at the back where you stick the speaker cables in and next to it there is a square socket which is covered over that says SPDIF,  This piece of crap is worse than my giggabyte z77 ddr3.

Given the setup, I'd expect the mic port to double as a line-out.

I do agree its a bad design, if they wanted to save space for SPDIF they could have built it into one of the 3.5mm ports like laptops do rather than dropping the third port.

That said, I'd never buy a motherboard without looking at the IO layout first.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

AND what is the point with a graphic equalizer in realtek audio when you can not use it unless you have digital output which does not f*@king work with speakers, I mean what is going on with this crap? I never had that many issues with my older comps.

9 hours ago, stuckonthis said:

There are 5 audio ports. It does have 5.1 audio. There might be a small misunderstanding with it here. It has all the same ports in the identical configuration as your old board.

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

There are 5 audio ports. It does have 5.1 audio. There might be a small misunderstanding with it here. It has all the same ports in the identical configuration as your old board.

Nope, the old one has all three colors where the elite ax only has 1 and the other is the headphone jack, you can only plug one set of speakers in at a time.  Whether you can get 5.1 speakers that only needs 1 cable to get the job done is another question but as far as I know you need the good ol green black and pink to connect all 5 speakers and the aurous elite does not have these as standard on the motherboard.backplate. 

1 minute ago, stuckonthis said:

Nope, the old one has all three colors where the elite ax only has 1 and the other is the headphone jack, you can only plug one set of speakers in at a time.  Whether you can get 5.1 speakers that only needs 1 cable to get the job done is another question but as far as I know you need the good ol green black and pink to connect all 5 speakers and the aurous elite does not have these as standard on the motherboard.backplate. 

Thats not true. The aorus has all 3 "colours" too. Its just a single color for all ports. They are labelled the same.

As other stated - soundcard.

My best guess is that you have something similar to the Creative Inspire T6300. Which has basically 0 internal processing and just takes a handful of external outputs and spits out sound (an AVR for example can take a 5.1 signal that's been compressed to stereo and attempt to parse out the additional info)
If your goal is to use these, as stated - cheapest soundcard/DAC (can be USB if you want future portability) you can get.

----

The other option, flip your current gear and consider a relatively strong pair of bookshelf speakers (JBL Studio 530 on sale for $240ish USD) + an amplifier (Aiyima A07?) OR 2x JBL 305p mkii. Usually two GOOD speakers will do a better job than very cheap satelites and a tiny subwoofer designed to have lots of output for its size/cost but not much extension or low distortion. If you're VERY close to a pair of good bookshelves that are angled directly at the ears, they can image pretty well. If you're further away, that's where the benefits of multiple sound sources pop up.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

23 hours ago, jaslion said:

Oh you have the weird edition.

Yeah simple solution here is to get a budget soundcard. Will have what you need.

Revision one is what it was, looks like i got diddled.  I can get an internal sound card off Amazon they are not too expensive but what a disappointment.

1 hour ago, stuckonthis said:

Revision one is what it was, looks like i got diddled.  I can get an internal sound card off Amazon they are not too expensive but what a disappointment.

Oh yeah I would be dissapointed af too. That board is not cheap at all. You paid premium money for features a sub 100$ board has.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Oh yeah I would be dissapointed af too. That board is not cheap at all. You paid premium money for features a sub 100$ board has.

Agreed, was odd to see on such a "premium" board. I wonder if there is some sort of breakout/daughter board?? 

13 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Agreed, was odd to see on such a "premium" board. I wonder if there is some sort of breakout/daughter board?? 

Indeed, maybe you can use front panel audio for an extra port?  Jack tasking can be quite diverse or not, depending on the motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 2:16 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Indeed, maybe you can use front panel audio for an extra port?  Jack tasking can be quite diverse or not, depending on the motherboard.

Front panel only has microphone and headphone but it would look a mess even if I could wangle it like that, wires everywhere.

4 hours ago, stuckonthis said:

Front panel only has microphone and headphone but it would look a mess even if I could wangle it like that, wires everywhere.

You'd get PCI slot front panel adapter to solve that.