Considering Dual Booting Windows 10 and Linux. But I have no idea how linux works or where to start. For gaming :D and streaming!

Uh.. anyone maye willing to help..?

The main game I play is Final Fantasy XIV. I don't know which Linux thingy will be best for what I need.

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

1 hour ago, Melano said:

The main game I play is Final Fantasy XIV. I don't know which Linux thingy will be best for what I need.

Usually who start using Linux try a random distribution ... Suggesting a distribution doesn't make much sense ... There are several guides, official and unofficial, tutorials on YouTube, etc. If you have a specific problem you can ask in forums like this or you can subscribe to the official mailing lists of the distribution of your choice.

FF XIV has a gold rating on protondb so there should not be any problems (that are unsolvable) regarding that

though i suggest you try linux in a vm first then decide if the core of the os or any specific distributions suit you.

now to some question:

why exactly do you want to dual boot?

what else do you do with your computer?

how tech savvy are you?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

7 hours ago, mahyar said:

FF XIV has a gold rating on protondb so there should not be any problems (that are unsolvable) regarding that

though i suggest you try linux in a vm first then decide if the core of the os or any specific distributions suit you.

now to some question:

why exactly do you want to dual boot?

what else do you do with your computer?

how tech savvy are you?

Try out Linux as a daily driver, since I'm sick of Microsoft's bullshit.

Gaming, Streaming, Art/Drawing

Define, "Tech Savvy". That's very vague. If you're asking if I know how to code, no I absolutely know nothing. The most I've done is fiddle with a Hackin'tosh. but the main guy doing those helped me with the main setup file because I was hopeless and he liked me. It was a bit over my head at the time.

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

2 hours ago, Melano said:

ry out Linux as a daily driver, since I'm sick of Microsoft's bullshit.

Gaming, Streaming, Art/Drawing

all those can be done to a certain extent.....

- system specs would be the first main concern

For Gaming

- STEAM is king or queen ( depending on your heirarchy preference. )

- Heroic Launcher covers Epic and GOG ( game success varies )

- Bottles - a specialized wine environment with easy click and install components including launchers ( game success varies )

- things like Valorant will be out of the question due to kernel level anti-cheat

- some other multi-player games are out of the question due to their anti-cheat

For Streaming

- OBS but might take a little more set up than on windows

For Art / Drawing

- heaps of programs to choose from

- if use something like photoshop and other adobe products, you are out of luck

Games i am starting to struggle with due to my old AM3+ system

- Space Engineers

- Euro and American truck Simulator

this is why i say system specs are first concern

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

13 minutes ago, cretsiah said:

all those can be done to a certain extent.....

- system specs would be the first main concern

5950X & 3080, 32GB 3600

For Gaming

- STEAM is king or queen ( depending on your heirarchy preference. )

- Heroic Launcher covers Epic and GOG ( game success varies )

- Bottles - a specialized wine environment with easy click and install components including launchers ( game success varies )

- things like Valorant will be out of the question due to kernel level anti-cheat

- some other multi-player games are out of the question due to their anti-cheat

Queen~, but I'd probably just swap to Windows for most games I want to run. I'd definitely prefer to stick to Linux as much as possible so I could get used to it.

For Streaming

- OBS but might take a little more set up than on windows

I use OBS as is. I believe I can import my settings from my appdata. I would have dedicated SSD's to each OS, or something. Not a fan of everything on one drive.

For Art / Drawing

- heaps of programs to choose from

- if use something like photoshop and other adobe products, you are out of luck

I use Clip Studio Paint. I beleive it supports Windows 7, so maybe I'll run several OS'. I do basic/low level PC setup/repair stuff when asked. Lotta old ladies on 7/XP still.

Games i am starting to struggle with due to my old AM3+ system

- Space Engineers

- Euro and American truck Simulator

this is why i say system specs are first concern

13 hours ago, Melano said:

Art/Drawing

what software do you currently use for that?

13 hours ago, Melano said:

Define, "Tech Savvy". That's very vague

let's put it this way:

are you comfortable spending some time fiddling around in the terminal and googling stuff?

11 hours ago, Melano said:

5950X & 3080, 32GB 3600

fine for the most part 

I use OBS as is. I believe I can import my settings from my appdata. I would have dedicated SSD's to each OS, or something. Not a fan of everything on one drive.

obs on linux can get a little janky at times (emphasis on can and at times) but that is also fine for the most part

I use Clip Studio Paint. I beleive it supports Windows 7, so maybe I'll run several OS'. I do basic/low level PC setup/repair stuff when asked. Lotta old ladies on 7/XP still.

in that case even if it doesn't have a native linux version you might have a good chance of running it using wine

Queen~, but I'd probably just swap to Windows for most games I want to run. I'd definitely prefer to stick to Linux as much as possible so I could get used to it.

what games do you usually play?

3 hours ago, mahyar said:

what software do you currently use for that?

let's put it this way:

are you comfortable spending some time fiddling around in the terminal and googling stuff?

Clip Studio Paint

I do that almost everyday with Windows 10 because it dopes stupid shit all the time even on fresh installs.

14 hours ago, Melano said:

lol

you didnt tell us the kind of games you want to play.....

Some of the Windows only games i play using Steam with Proton

- Subnautica

- Subnautica Sub Zero

- Far Cry series 1 - 5 + New Dawn

- Raft

- Company of Heroes

- World of Tanks Blitz

- Star Trek Online

soon to try frost punk

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

3 hours ago, Melano said:

Clip Studio Paint

Its seems like it doesn't have a native linux port but can be made to work on wine

I'll update you on that 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

In general, Linux distributions🐧🐧🐧, such as Debian, allow you to download and install metapackages, which are intended for specific sectors: graphics, video, science, etc. But if you want a ready-made distribution for creatives, Ubuntu Studio is the solution for you.

Ubuntu Studio:

https://ubuntustudio.org/support/

https://ubuntustudio.org/download/

Debian:

https://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/

https://blends.debian.org/multimedia/tasks/index.en.html

Try other Linux distributions too ... 🐧🐧🐧

Edited by FUIT1985
Credit: cretsiah

• 2 weeks later...

Linux probably wouldn't be the best choice if all you're doing is gaming, and you don't care about other software compatibility, privacy, or other major Linux features. If all you're doing is playing FFXIV, you need to tinker to get it to work, which for a Linux noob may be a little daunting. https://www.protondb.com/app/39210

If you wanna do it anyways, Ubuntu and Mint are good beginner distros (Even if I may personally hate them) and the PopOS meme is alright too, it installs Wine and Lutris by default iirc and most stuff works out of the box. Manjaro is also a good option for an Arch based solution. It's rolling release, TL;DR meaning it gets updates sooner. Also, if you want to check a certain Steam game's compatibility, use https://www.protondb.com/

For streaming, my experience is limited but OBS works amazing out of the box, however a lot of popular streaming equipment like the Stream Deck and GoXLR don't work to my knowledge, however you'll have to do your own research. 

I'd like to emphasize trying these distros out in a VM first, and see which one you like best.

Hope this helps you out, let me know if you have further questions.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:55 AM, Melano said:

FF XIV works well with the Lutris install script.

• 4 weeks later...

Since you are a beginner, I would recommend these three systems:

Manjaro
Fedora (nvidia driver installation is a bit more cumbersome than usual but the Fedora is user-friendly)
KDE neon

Mint is also user-friendly, but often has very old software, so it may not be recommended for gamers.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

11 hours ago, The Hope said:

Since you are a beginner, I would recommend these three systems:

Manjaro
Fedora (nvidia driver installation is a bit more cumbersome than usual but the Fedora is user-friendly)
KDE neon

Mint is also user-friendly, but often has very old software, so it may not be recommended for gamers.

Stop necroing

I did exactly that a few years ago. Dual booting it alongside Windows is actually great, because if there's a problem you just can't get over you can just boot up Windows to do the stuff you wanted to do.

I'd suggest you some "easy" distro (ik it's not that simple) to start with. I'm thinking Ubuntu (bc kinda easy, debian - so very compatible and very popular) or Mint which is based on Ubuntu, but is great for people coming from Windows.

Most of the daily tasks are easy to do nowadays and most of the other things are easy to google-solve 🙂

If you need any help with that, feel free to PM me.