Can a wifi 6E mesh system replace need for routing ethernet ports in my home?

Rayzioz
Go to solution Solved by deltatux,
On 6/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, Rayzioz said:

My cable internet inlet in my unit is in the living room and it is very difficult to route a ethernet cable to the office without either spending lots to have it within the walls or looking very ugly across the ceiling and walls.

I was thinking of connecting my modem to one of these mesh wifi routers, leaving one in the living room and using the new 6 ghz backhaul to connect the second router in the office about 15m away and then connecting my pc to directly to the second router via ethernet cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Deco-Mesh-Wifi-6E-Router/dp/B09VW5JHPH

reduces the need to buy a pcie wifi card to install in a slot i don't even have room for, and probably the closest I'm going to get in terms of keeping latency low without a physical cable from router to PC.

can this work? or is there a more efficient way to get minimal latency while keeping cables clean?

Ya it can work but what you have to keep in mind is that 6 GHz while a clean band doesn't penetrate walls as easily as lower bands. If you have thick concrete walls, it'll be much harder for the signals to pass through. It's much easier for wireless signals to go through wood than concrete.

Another option to route Ethernet cables is to use MoCA which uses existing coaxial cables routed through your home (if applicable) and you can connect different points in the house. I use a couple of MoCA adapters to route network traffic between mesh nodes to ensure a stable connection in my house without needing to fish cables through the wall.

My cable internet inlet in my unit is in the living room and it is very difficult to route a ethernet cable to the office without either spending lots to have it within the walls or looking very ugly across the ceiling and walls.

I was thinking of connecting my modem to one of these mesh wifi routers, leaving one in the living room and using the new 6 ghz backhaul to connect the second router in the office about 15m away and then connecting my pc to directly to the second router via ethernet cable.

reduces the need to buy a pcie wifi card to install in a slot i don't even have room for, and probably the closest I'm going to get in terms of keeping latency low without a physical cable from router to PC.

can this work? or is there a more efficient way to get minimal latency while keeping cables clean?

It can work but be weary of going through to many walls with 6GHz, even thin ones can cause an impact at higher frequencies.

Alternatively, the supplies to run a cable through the walls yourself are not very expensive and the skills to do it yourself will serve you well in the long run. If you are dead set against that though then you could also try ethernet over power line adapters, its cheaper but results can vary depending on the quality of your in home wiring.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, Rayzioz said:

Ya it can work but what you have to keep in mind is that 6 GHz while a clean band doesn't penetrate walls as easily as lower bands. If you have thick concrete walls, it'll be much harder for the signals to pass through. It's much easier for wireless signals to go through wood than concrete.

Another option to route Ethernet cables is to use MoCA which uses existing coaxial cables routed through your home (if applicable) and you can connect different points in the house. I use a couple of MoCA adapters to route network traffic between mesh nodes to ensure a stable connection in my house without needing to fish cables through the wall.

I did not know the MoCA option at all, thanks for that, i do have optical cables in each bedrooms already routed so that might be my best solution