Light-weight Linux distribution with wine?

Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,

First of all, check if the program you are going to run is listed in the Wine Application Database. If it's listed and it has a bronze or above rating (i.e., runs), then you may go ahead and install Linux and Wine. Otherwise proceed with caution as the program may not work under Wine.

Some Linux distros ship with Wine included, these included version might need to be reinstalled for better functionality. Otherwise you can install Wine with a few lines of code.

I don't really have any suggestions for a distro, given the open nature of Linux, you can simplify a bloated distro to get a light weight one. If I were to suggest one, I would go with Lubuntu (the slimmed version of Ubuntu) as I uses Ubuntu on my tertiary machine.

Edit: forgot to add that if you are aiming for game on Steam, use Proton instead.

Hey is there a Light-weight Linux distribution that can Work with wine?

Please Share your experience thank you

First of all, check if the program you are going to run is listed in the Wine Application Database. If it's listed and it has a bronze or above rating (i.e., runs), then you may go ahead and install Linux and Wine. Otherwise proceed with caution as the program may not work under Wine.

Some Linux distros ship with Wine included, these included version might need to be reinstalled for better functionality. Otherwise you can install Wine with a few lines of code.

I don't really have any suggestions for a distro, given the open nature of Linux, you can simplify a bloated distro to get a light weight one. If I were to suggest one, I would go with Lubuntu (the slimmed version of Ubuntu) as I uses Ubuntu on my tertiary machine.

Edit: forgot to add that if you are aiming for game on Steam, use Proton instead.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

37 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Hey
I already testet the program with wine so i will test lubuntu and check if it works for my purpos thx

Most (if not all) mainstream Linux distributions can run Wine. Arch, Gentoo, and LFS are some of the most lightweight distributions, as you compile everything yourself, and can choose what to install/compile. Although it is a hard and lengthy process, I would recommend installing Gentoo, as you are able to both include and exclude packages in the make.conf file to make a very lightweight, but still usable, installation.

Personally, I use Arch with Ratpoison and Wine for gaming (I use Gentoo for everything else, but hope to soon switch to LFS for my daily), and I have had no problems running the games I play. (Halo campaigns, Minecraft, etc) One thing to keep in mind though, is that most anti-cheats will not permit you to play online through Wine, but most single player titles work perfectly.

install gentoo