Need opinions for my dream computer.

Go to solution Solved by brob,
2 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

so i dont need the storage device, i already have 2 m.2 drives that are really good. so i am thinking i just sink the extra money that leaves open to get ddr5, so if i do get ddr5 do you got any good suggestions 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($549.97 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB 68.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.86 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($174.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($247.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1763.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-28 21:22 EDT-0400

6 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

im worried the ram will also get in the way with this smaller cooler, not sure what to do

Cooler makers really want to use the ram space to put a cooler in but they know they can’t, so sometimes coolers are made that will only allow “low profile” ram which is just a ram stick without a tall heat sink on it.  Most ram makers make one.  The cooler will go over the top of the ram anyway so buying flashy ram with rgb on the top is pointless anyway.  Just buy ram with an uninteresting or even no heat sink on it and you will be fine.  There are also smaller coolers that don’t impinge on the ram space at all and you can use whatever ridiculously large opulent heat sink you want to. They’re not actually needed at all most of the time and the weird shapes are only there for visual appeal.  Ram makers have developed a nasty habit of making ram heat sinks unremovable.  They’re mostly there these days so the ram makers can put on bigger logos and/or put crappy parts on their ram and hide it by covering them with a big heat sink.  Iirc there was one set of ram made some time ago that actually had sort of horns on it where the heat sink was actually effectively more than twice as large as the original ram. If it’s not rgb ram which actually has (not actually needed) lights on the top, frequently the heat sink can just be removed and thrown away.  Look at some ram with no heat sink on it and you’ll see how big ram really is.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Meshify 2 has two top mounting positions for AIO. The one closest to the side (glass) should have sufficient clearance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

37 minutes ago, brob said:

Meshify 2 has two top mounting positions for AIO. The one closest to the side (glass) should have sufficient clearance.

i tried that, the ram interfered and the mitherboards heat sink blocked it. i cant get it strait enough for all the holes to fit

IMG_20220608_103842.jpg

IMG_20220608_103837.jpg

IMG_20220608_103750.jpg

On 5/28/2022 at 10:53 PM, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($549.97 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB 68.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.86 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($283.75 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($174.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($247.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1798.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-28 14:53 EDT-0400

This is good AIO, don't get me wrong, but this is 12900kf and a 3080 TI here. You should go custom cooling. I think JayzTwoCents made a review about a corsair cooling bundle a while back, the thing is you got to put it together

4 minutes ago, Adham.M said:

This is good AIO, don't get me wrong, but this is 12900kf and a 3080 TI here. You should go custom cooling. I think JayzTwoCents made a review about a corsair cooling bundle a while back, the thing is you got to put it together

im too far gone at this point xD i just want it done. i have 2 coolers and 2 set of ram lol. im so excited. so i bought a 280mm aio and i will see if it fits. it will arive today. plus i used this gpu for a while now and has NEVER gotten hot. most was like 72c while runing the hardest game i could 

11 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

im worried the ram will also get in the way with this smaller cooler, not sure what to do

Not to throw a wrench in a separate gear, but the Meshify is your problem. It's a cool case, but the clearances aren't great. If you want to run a 420mm rad, you just flat out need a bigger case.

So I'd choose either a roomier ATX Full case (they're huge), or maybe a smaller 360 rad?

What exactly is hitting the heat spreaders? The CPU block? It shouldn't be a big unit. 

Are you top mounting the rad, and it's too thick?

2 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

im too far gone at this point xD i just want it done. i have 2 coolers and 2 set of ram lol. im so excited. so i bought a 280mm aio and i will see if it fits. it will arive today. plus i used this gpu for a while now and has NEVER gotten hot. most was like 72c while runing the hardest game i could 

If you're still able to cancel the order on the 280mm get a 360. I run my 12900k on a 360mm and it's close to the edge. Gaming does fine, but any synthetic load gets very hot. 

With a 360mm you'd also be able to use the brackets I used with my AIO to get around the exact same problem.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1W8-014H-00011?Item=9SIAFSTFJ06653

1 kit has all the screws needed and 3 120mm brackets. You could do a 240 with it, but that's small for the 12900k.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Not to throw a wrench in a separate gear, but the Meshify is your problem. It's a cool case, but the clearances aren't great. If you want to run a 420mm rad, you just flat out need a bigger case.

So I'd choose either a roomier ATX Full case (they're huge), or maybe a smaller 360 rad?

What exactly is hitting the heat spreaders? The CPU block? It shouldn't be a big unit. 

Are you top mounting the rad, and it's too thick?

I don't think it's the case. It's very spacious. The head sink that is covering the rear io is pushed so far out it can't get clearance

IMG_20220608_133055.jpg

IMG_20220608_132958.jpg

IMG_20220608_132943.jpg

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you're still able to cancel the order on the 280mm get a 360. I run my 12900k on a 360mm and it's close to the edge. Gaming does fine, but any synthetic load gets very hot. 

With a 360mm you'd also be able to use the brackets I used with my AIO to get around the exact same problem.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1W8-014H-00011?Item=9SIAFSTFJ06653

1 kit has all the screws needed and 3 120mm brackets. You could do a 240 with it, but that's small for the 12900k.

It shipped with a upgrade kit. But I'm just not sure if anything in there will work.

Just now, SpencyTheWency said:

It shipped with a upgrade kit. But I'm just not sure if anything in there will work.

The upgrade kit is to give you the LGA1700 mounting brackets for the pump/cpu block. Not to offset the radiator from the motherboard. That's a case design and motherboard design issue. 

The brackets above are just food for thought. If you take the radiator and "pull" it as close to the side panel as you can get it and it clears all the rear IO and ram slots that bracket is the ticket. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The upgrade kit is to give you the LGA1700 mounting brackets for the pump/cpu block. Not to offset the radiator from the motherboard. That's a case design and motherboard design issue. 

The brackets above are just food for thought. If you take the radiator and "pull" it as close to the side panel as you can get it and it clears all the rear IO and ram slots that bracket is the ticket. 

Honestly do you think this will work?  Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler https://a.co/d/1LA0v5D

I'm not doing anything insane with the pc. I don't plan on overclocking or anything. Just want to get rid of all lag while playing. If not I will cancel my shipment and just buy the bracket if needed

Just now, SpencyTheWency said:

Honestly do you think this will work?  Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler https://a.co/d/1LA0v5D

I'm not doing anything insane with the pc. I don't plan on overclocking or anything. Just want to get rid of all lag while playing. If not I will cancel my shipment and just buy the bracket if needed

If one 280mm radiator won't fit it's unlikely a different one would. The radiators/fans can only be so much smaller than each other. The only upside the 280mm has is that you could mount it farther forward in the top of the case if it clears the ram. You'd only have one thing to clear and not two. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If one 280mm radiator won't fit it's unlikely a different one would. The radiators/fans can only be so much smaller than each other. The only upside the 280mm has is that you could mount it farther forward in the top of the case if it clears the ram. You'd only have one thing to clear and not two. 

Yea. So you think 280 will cut it for cooling? I have new ddr5 ram and that cooler arriving today

420 rads can push into the concept of “insane”. 420 is 3 140mm fans on a radiator. Actually needing that much cooling is rare. Good chance that case can only do 3 120mm fans.  It’s pretty standard.  Most computers don’t need even that. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

39 minutes ago, SpencyTheWency said:

Yea. So you think 280 will cut it for cooling? I have new ddr5 ram and that cooler arriving today

280s are very close to 360mm and in some cases do outperform slightly. You could always try it and see what your temps are. A 360 would just be a lot easier to get to fit in that case with the rear IO and RAM depending on the height of your new ram. A 360mm will be skinnier but longer.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Good chance that chase can only do 3 120mm fans.

It fits 140s up top. A 420mm is supposed to fit, but there's other things blocking the radiator. (rear motherboard io cover and ram)

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

So there never was an air cooler, and the problem is ram width rather than ram height.  Yeah there’s no solving that one.  Need a narrower radiator to miss the motherboard.  There’s one other possible shot but it’s ugly looking: you can mount just the radiator inside the case just missing the motherboard and then mount the fans on the other side outside the case.  I don’t know if that is even possible with that case or that even that would make enough room.

Edited by Bombastinator

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So there never was an air cooler, and the problem is ram width rather than ram height.  Yeah there’s no solving that one.  Need a narrower radiator to miss the motherboard.  There’s one other possible shot but it’s ugly looking: you can mount just the radiator inside the case just missing the motherboard and then mount the fans on the other side outside the case.  I don’t know if that is even possible with that case or that even that would make enough room.

I'm on the final part putting in the gpu. And I'm scared. I'm scared that I turn it on and it all goes kabloey and everything is ruined. Does everything look good or am I forgetting something??

1654736632276818913517194475259.jpg

5 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

I'm on the final part putting in the gpu. And I'm scared. I'm scared that I turn it on and it all goes kabloey and everything is ruined. Does everything look good or am I forgetting something??

1654736632276818913517194475259.jpg

Kablooey is real unlikely with these things.  The only way for that to be possible is if the PSU is garbage or the motherboard is so defective it would fail any quality control the manufacturer has.  May have some trouble getting it working, but damaging hardware is hard.