Need opinions for my dream computer.

Go to solution Solved by brob,
2 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

so i dont need the storage device, i already have 2 m.2 drives that are really good. so i am thinking i just sink the extra money that leaves open to get ddr5, so if i do get ddr5 do you got any good suggestions 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($549.97 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB 68.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.86 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($174.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($247.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1763.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-28 21:22 EDT-0400

Budget (including currency): 1,000-2,000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly all games, Streaming, and Recording.

Other details I already have the gpu for it. i have a 3080TI, i am just looking for motherboard cpu ram and case. i am currently looking at the 12900k and i really want to water cool it all. 

1 hour ago, SpencyTheWency said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly all games, Streaming, and Recording.

Other details I already have the gpu for it. i have a 3080TI, i am just looking for motherboard cpu ram and case. i am currently looking at the 12900k and i really want to water cool it all. 

Well you’ll want to if you overclock it.  I took a poke at it and I’m having trouble even getting to that 1k low number without picking a really expensive case even with absurdly overpriced AIOs that have pointless video panels on them and enough rgb to light a room and a 12900ks and stuff.  There are 1k cases out there of course, so with a sufficiently expensive case it’s easy.  Cases are also really subjective visually.  Might be best if you pick your own for that.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, SpencyTheWency said:

Have to know the model GPU before case can be picked.

Do you want a custom liquid cooling loop is AIO sufficient?

Is lighting important?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, brob said:

Have to know the model GPU before case can be picked.

Do you want a custom liquid cooling loop is AIO sufficient?

Is lighting important?

I have The founders edition 3080TI, Its not the most important to have lighting buy if I can get it it would be nice. I have no idea how to do a custom loop so if there is like kits for custom loops I would do that but other then that all I need is the cpu and gpu to be water cooled.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well you’ll want to if you overclock it.  I took a poke at it and I’m having trouble even getting to that 1k low number without picking a really expensive case even with absurdly overpriced AIOs that have pointless video panels on them and enough rgb to light a room and a 12900ks and stuff.  There are 1k cases out there of course, so with a sufficiently expensive case it’s easy.  Cases are also really subjective visually.  Might be best if you pick your own for that.

I have looked at lots of cases and i just cant decide. Its hard to know what's the best for each case and what exactly to look for. i am Currently running a InWIn GRone E-atx case and it holds the 3080 and everything fine, so im just confused on what to look for.

Why do you want water cooling?

21 minutes ago, brob said:

Why do you want water cooling?

My current setup im Running a Threadripper 1900x and my computer is getting super hot. it hits 80c when only running lighter games on 1080p. Plus my bios says my cpu is at 80c but other programs say different. so i dont want to risk anything i want everything being as cool as possible. but if there are good coolers or a good case for air coolers its not the end of the world without water cooling.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB 68.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.86 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($283.75 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($247.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1798.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-28 14:53 EDT-0400

3 minutes ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($283.75 @ Amazon) 

It all looks good but i have a question, Why not go with ddr5? is there a big advantage that ddr4 gives compared to it?  32 gigs is perfect. exactly what i need.

DDR5 is more expensive and in most games not significantly better.

14 minutes ago, brob said:

DDR5 is more expensive and in most games not significantly better.

25 minutes ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

All in all, I really like the parts selection. it would be a massive upgrade to my current setup. I just have to figure out if I want to change out the fans it comes with with rgb ones so I could go for a design or not. also yes i know my current pc is really ugly.

my setup.jpg

33 minutes ago, SpencyTheWency said:

It all looks good but i have a question, Why not go with ddr5? is there a big advantage that ddr4 gives compared to it?  32 gigs is perfect. exactly what i need.

Just price atm. Ddr5 isn’t currently significantly faster but costs almost double.  That will change, it just hasn’t yet.  Ddr5 is a buy now only for iGP stuff.  If you want to swap out your memory again in a year or two ddr5 is the way to go.  The thing is zen4 will be out by then and it takes a different motherboard. So there’s an argument for just buying ddr4 and the speed you get is the speed the computer will be.  Ddr4 isn’t going to get much faster.  This is the way the change from ddr3 to ddr4 went.

That is some dirty case interior btw.  You may fix your heat issue with nothing but some canned air.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, SpencyTheWency said:

All in all, I really like the parts selection. it would be a massive upgrade to my current setup. I just have to figure out if I want to change out the fans it comes with with rgb ones so I could go for a design or not. also yes i know my current pc is really ugly.

my setup.jpg

The AIO is RGB. You could see how that looked and add RGB fans if it's not enough.

my setup.jpg

Fewer, faster threads and fewer lanes.  if you don’t use all those threadripper pcie lanes though they don’t matter. Threadrippers are kinda for VMs anyway.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Fewer, faster threads and fewer lanes.  if you don’t use all those threadripper pcie lanes though they don’t matter. Threadrippers are kinda for VMs anyway.

I am mainly upgrading cause this Threadripper is not too good for what I'm using it for, i am barely getting 50 fps at 720p lowest quality settings on rust. and even on easy to run games the moment i start streaming it becomes impossible to play cause it gets too choppy and it acts like its on 20 fps when its showing 80+

2 minutes ago, SpencyTheWency said:

I am mainly upgrading cause this Threadripper is not too good for what I'm using it for, i am barely getting 50 fps at 720p lowest quality settings on rust. and even on easy to run games the moment i start streaming it becomes impossible to play cause it gets too choppy and it acts like its on 20 fps when its showing 80+

Yeah.  They don’t make great gaming processors.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  They don’t make great gaming processors.

That's why I'm just going to salvage everything in it and turn it into a home computer for movies or projects or whatever. but my new one is going to make this one look like a Childs computer xD

4 hours ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

so i dont need the storage device, i already have 2 m.2 drives that are really good. so i am thinking i just sink the extra money that leaves open to get ddr5, so if i do get ddr5 do you got any good suggestions 

8 minutes ago, SpencyTheWency said:

That's why I'm just going to salvage everything in it and turn it into a home computer for movies or projects or whatever. but my new one is going to make this one look like a Childs computer xD

It will kick ass for that.  If you turn it into an HTPC you can use all those extra compute threads to virtualize most machines so you’ll be able to play old games few others can.  Old machines were much slower than that so even virtualized they’ll still be really fast.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 

1 hour ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

alrighty everything looks perfect, New memory is going to be awesome, everything looks pretty future proof, love the case and everything. I checked and made sure my Storage devices are compatible and we are all good! thanks for all your inputs Brob you have been a great help! 😄  I am so excited to set this all up!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 9:23 PM, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Quick update for everyone. i bought the stuff, it all finally arrived. AAAAAAAAAAAND the radiator wont fit. the ram sticks are too big and interfere with it. so i bought new ram and i am having it arrive tomorrow so i will further update you all!

SECOND UPDATE, i took a closer look again, and the heat shield on the motherboard is also getting in the way, canceled order for new ram and bought a smaller cooler

15 minutes ago, SpencyTheWency said:

Quick update for everyone. i bought the stuff, it all finally arrived. AAAAAAAAAAAND the radiator wont fit. the ram sticks are too big and interfere with it. so i bought new ram and i am having it arrive tomorrow so i will further update you all!

Do you have the Meshify 2 or Meshify 2 Compact?

Heh.  That can be an issue. It can be a very common thing for big air coolers.  As a result I’m am careful to buy only low profile ram.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  That can be an issue. It can be a very common thing for big air coolers.  As a result I’m am careful to buy only low profile ram.

im worried the ram will also get in the way with this smaller cooler, not sure what to do