First Build! Need Recommendations and Best Practices

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
26 minutes ago, Tomahawk9243 said:

Virtual Machines

If this is what you plan on doing, the 12900K isn't really that good of a CPU choice thanks to it's distinction between performance and efficiency cores. If this is what you're doing, you should really be going 5950X instead or waiting for AM5 to release and going for the 7950X (or whatever it ends up being called).

Anyway, on to part recommendations. I will be using Saudi Arabian Newegg for pricing since it's what's on PCPP and I'm lazy. 

1. You'll need to change the motherboard to get something that will support the 5950X. Right now, the B550 Taichi is probably one of the best value high end boards on AM4, it's got basically every feature you could want and it's available for a pretty good price. I picked the Razer edition since it's the same price and I felt it looked better, but the only differences are aesthetic if you prefer the other one. 
  2. Avoid MSI AIOs, they tend to break. Go for a dual tower air cooler for this system like the Deepcool AK620, it's cheaper, way more reliable, and will perform perfectly fine for a 5950X. 
  3. You can get a cheaper kit of RAM. 
  4. Unless you were planning on running the drives in RAID 1, you're better off getting a 2TB drive instead, it's cheaper and less parts to fail. 
  5. The P360A is a pretty good case for the price, it should save you a bit. 
  6. You can get a cheaper 3070 Ti. 

https://sa.pcpartpicker.com/list/rjjPJM

This should do everything you wnat and be under budget. 

Budget (including currency): USD. 3200/-

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:-

Games: New AAA Titles

Programs: High-level Programming langs, OpenCV, Virtual Machines etc.

Workload: Video Processing (Not as in content creation, but for Machine learning operations), Training & Testing of Neural Networks, playing games in free time.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I am completely new in PC Building feild. Did some research research and came up with my parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MKYyW4 , turned out i blew out my budjet by $313.

It would be really great if someone can bring it down to my budget for my workload, or some recommendation to move from here on forward.

Thanks,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($594.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ Adorama) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($529.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($238.01 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($799.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Samsung LC24FG70FQNXZA 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($266.33) 
Total: $3110.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-27 16:13 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Your build as it stands feels like it is bordering on irresponsible build territory, below is a more responsible build, the difference between a 12700K and a 12900K is going to be a bad price/performance, RGB in a serious build is not needed, it doesn't help performance. A 128gb kit can be substituted without breaking the bank.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tymyW4

26 minutes ago, Tomahawk9243 said:

Virtual Machines

If this is what you plan on doing, the 12900K isn't really that good of a CPU choice thanks to it's distinction between performance and efficiency cores. If this is what you're doing, you should really be going 5950X instead or waiting for AM5 to release and going for the 7950X (or whatever it ends up being called).

Anyway, on to part recommendations. I will be using Saudi Arabian Newegg for pricing since it's what's on PCPP and I'm lazy. 

1. You'll need to change the motherboard to get something that will support the 5950X. Right now, the B550 Taichi is probably one of the best value high end boards on AM4, it's got basically every feature you could want and it's available for a pretty good price. I picked the Razer edition since it's the same price and I felt it looked better, but the only differences are aesthetic if you prefer the other one. 
  2. Avoid MSI AIOs, they tend to break. Go for a dual tower air cooler for this system like the Deepcool AK620, it's cheaper, way more reliable, and will perform perfectly fine for a 5950X. 
  3. You can get a cheaper kit of RAM. 
  4. Unless you were planning on running the drives in RAID 1, you're better off getting a 2TB drive instead, it's cheaper and less parts to fail. 
  5. The P360A is a pretty good case for the price, it should save you a bit. 
  6. You can get a cheaper 3070 Ti. 

https://sa.pcpartpicker.com/list/rjjPJM

This should do everything you wnat and be under budget. 

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You'll need to change the motherboard to get something that will support the 5950X. Right now, the B550 Taichi is probably one of the best value high end boards on AM4, it's got basically every feature you could want and it's available for a pretty good price. I picked the Razer edition since it's the same price and I felt it looked better, but the only differences are aesthetic if you prefer the other one. 

First of all, thanks for your  informative reply. Whatever you said above made complete sense. However i still have 3 doubts that I need cleared before i order my parts.

1. Which motherboard do you recommend between Asrock B550 taichi and Asrock X570 Taichi?
  2. I have heard a lot about heating of VRAMs in Gigabyte's video card these day. Do you still recommend their video card or should I consider changing the brand?
  3. I have seen you recommend dual tower air cooler, however seeing the bulkiness of AK620, I highly doubt it fitting in and not interviening with the ram sticks. What do you say?

Thanks again,

Edited by Tomahawk9243

29 minutes ago, Tomahawk9243 said:

Which motherboard do you recommend between Asrock B550 taichi and Asrock X570 Taichi?

Both have their ups and downs. The B550 Taichi has better networking and memory overclocking support, the X570 has better laid out IOMMU groups (if you run GPU passthrough, a good X570 board is a must), an extra M.2 drive, and more Gen 4 PCIe slots. Unless one of those features is a must for you on the X570 board, the B550 board is probably a better pick since it's (usually) cheaper. The reason I recommend the B550 Taichi over any number of other boards is because it's the cheapest board with a basically maxed out feature set, it's got a POST code, x8/x8 support (so if you do want to run 3 Gen 4 SSDs, you still can on that board if you get an expansion card), solid rear I/O, ton of SATA ports, and a very respectable VRM for a very good price. The X570 version is basically the same board with another M.2 slot and with 1Gb LAN instead of the 2.5Gb found on the B550. Your goal when picking a motherboard is to find the cheapest option that does everything you want it to without any issues or annoyances with a VRM that is enough to power the CPU you're planning on running. Odds are there's a board that's a better fit for what you're trying to do, though the B550 Taichi fits the 2nd two requirements for the 5950X, and it's got enough features that you wouldn't reasonably want any more without doing something super specific, and since the cost is pretty low, it's a pretty safe recommendation without knowing your exact needs. 

Tl;Dr: Both are fine boards, but unless you need something only one of them has, just get whichever is cheapest. 

52 minutes ago, Tomahawk9243 said:

I have heard a lot about heating of VRAMs in Gigabyte's video card these day. Do you still recommend their video card or should I consider changing the brand?

I've heard that about literally every card with GDDR6X on it, whether it's from Gigabyte, EVGA, Nvidia, MSI, ASUS, whoever, the memory on them will run hot. Just get the card from whoever is the cheapest. 

53 minutes ago, Tomahawk9243 said:

I have seen you recommend dual tower air cooler, however seeing the bulkiness of AK620, I highly doubt it fitting in and not interviening with the ram sticks. What do you say?

I've fit some dual tower coolers over some pretty large memory sticks. Granted, I haven't done a ton of research on the AK620 itself, so if you're gonna be running 4 DIMMs full, it might be a bit tight. If you really want to be sure, go Scythe Fuma 2 (preferably Rev. B since it's got a better fan on it, though it's not necessary since you aren't going 12th gen Intel) since it's got really good memory clearance. I've got one on my 7700K build, and while it's tight, it fully clears all the memory slots and I can run 4 DIMMs in that board. You could also mount the fans differently so they're both pulling air through, meaning there will be no fan above the memory sticks and it should be completely fine. 

1 hour ago, Tomahawk9243 said:

I have seen you recommend dual tower air cooler, however seeing the bulkiness of AK620, I highly doubt it fitting in and not interviening with the ram sticks. What do you say?

AK620 has about 43mm clearance for memory modules. Corsair Vengeance LPX, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 and V, and Crucial Ballistix all fit.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:53 PM, Tomahawk9243 said:

Budget (including currency): USD. 3200/-

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:-

Games: New AAA Titles

Programs: High-level Programming langs, OpenCV, Virtual Machines etc.

Workload: Video Processing (Not as in content creation, but for Machine learning operations), Training & Testing of Neural Networks, playing games in free time.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I am completely new in PC Building feild. Did some research research and came up with my parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MKYyW4 , turned out i blew out my budjet by $313.

It would be really great if someone can bring it down to my budget for my workload, or some recommendation to move from here on forward.

Thanks,

I'd say to go with a cheaper CPU, 128gb of ram and try to get a GPU with more VRAM, otherwise you might be constrained when using SOTA models, specially when working with large res videos.

I personally have a 5950x (because I also do quite a lot of compiling), 128gb of ram and a 3060 due to its 12gb of vram,  but whenever I want to run a models with more data I end up relying on cloud instances. If you can't afford that, then try to go for a better GPU, such as the 12gb 3080.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, BiotechBen said:

Your build as it stands feels like it is bordering on irresponsible build territory, below is a more responsible build, the difference between a 12700K and a 12900K is going to be a bad price/performance, RGB in a serious build is not needed, it doesn't help performance. A 128gb kit can be substituted without breaking the bank.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tymyW4

64gb won't cut it, and your option makes it hard to upgrade since one would need to replace all of their sticks.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga