My i7-12700 underperforming?

Go to solution Solved by 1100_Fallen,
2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@1100_Fallen

Some motherboards have an obscure setting called Base Frequency Boost. Make sure that is set nice and high. 

Also set the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits to the max. 

image.png.fd81eeec5a1ebd15191ff6843cd6d872.png

Do you have a 12700 or a 12700K? On a B660 board, it is normal for the CPU to run slower when all cores are active compared to when only 1 core is active.

What does the Task Manager Performance tab report for Cores and Logical processors?

Try running ThrottleStop 9.4.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Open the Limit Reasons window and check for any reasons for throttling lighting up red while Cinebench is running. Does ThrottleStop show the CPU running at the maximum speed for the entire test?

Use CPU-Z to check if XMP is enabled and working correctly. 

Thanks for the reply!!

My motherboard don't have any Base Frequency Boost option.

But:

My case is kinda resolved here..

I set PL1 and PL2 to the maximum the CPU can supply (180W), ran cinebench, and it didn't exceed 100 Watts.

After some research, I discovered that this setting exists:

image.thumb.jpeg.6cdee94adb0d740e6dd0b8b79e7addad.jpeg

So yeah.. The higher the value, the higher the power in watts..

At UltraExtreme, the CPU goes up to 155 Watts, scores 21,000+ on Cinebench, but goes up to ~85°C

On OCCT, 180 Watts and ~95°C 😨

Are these temperatures normal?

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! I think I can mark your answer as solution @unclewebb?

Hello!

According to various articles, the i7-12700 has an average score of 20,000 on Cinebench (R23.200).
But mine reaches a maximum of 14,000. Did I misconfigure something, or did I just lose in the processor lottery?

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE B660 GAMING X DDR4, and the processor being a non-k version, I'm not sure what settings to enable or disable.

Here they are:

CPU Advanced settings
General settings

Also, I tried to play with Turbo Boost Power Max, Turbo Boost Power Time Window and Turbo Boost Short Power Max, but all the changes I could made have just worsened the CPU's performances.

I shoudld maybe add that the CPU's temperature don't go higher than 60°C, and clock speed not higher than 4600 Mhz.

Enable XMP to get your memory up to speed (whatever your rated speed is on your ram)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

22 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Enable XMP to get your memory up to speed (whatever your rated speed is on your ram)

XPM is (or seems) already enabled 😞

@1100_Fallen

Some motherboards have an obscure setting called Base Frequency Boost. Make sure that is set nice and high. 

Do you have a 12700 or a 12700K? On a B660 board, it is normal for the CPU to run slower when all cores are active compared to when only 1 core is active.

What does the Task Manager Performance tab report for Cores and Logical processors?

Open the Limit Reasons window and check for any reasons for throttling lighting up red while Cinebench is running. Does ThrottleStop show the CPU running at the maximum speed for the entire test?

It says there that you have "Legacy Game Compatibility Mode" enabled. This disables the 4 E-cores, which will hurt your performance in all-core applications like Cinebench.

I would disable this feature unless you have games or applications that don't play nice with 12th gen's architecture.

image.png.75330aff89f8b1096ba3ac02581ba634.png

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@1100_Fallen

Thanks for the reply!!

My motherboard don't have any Base Frequency Boost option.

But:

My case is kinda resolved here..

I set PL1 and PL2 to the maximum the CPU can supply (180W), ran cinebench, and it didn't exceed 100 Watts.

After some research, I discovered that this setting exists:

image.thumb.jpeg.6cdee94adb0d740e6dd0b8b79e7addad.jpeg

So yeah.. The higher the value, the higher the power in watts..

At UltraExtreme, the CPU goes up to 155 Watts, scores 21,000+ on Cinebench, but goes up to ~85°C

On OCCT, 180 Watts and ~95°C 😨

Are these temperatures normal?

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! I think I can mark your answer as solution @unclewebb?

10 minutes ago, 1100_Fallen said:

set PL1 and PL2 to the maximum the CPU can supply (180W)

PL1 and PL2 can be set to 4095W. If you cannot max these out in the BIOS then use ThrottleStop. 

When Cinebench is in progress, post some screenshots of ThrottleStop. Look at the Limit Reasons data to check for any throttling. Does the CPU maintain full speed for the entire test? Are all cores and logical processors showing up in the Task Manager?

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

PL1 and PL2 can be set to 4095W. If you cannot max these out in the BIOS then use ThrottleStop. 

When Cinebench is in progress, post some screenshots of ThrottleStop. Look at the Limit Reasons data to check for any throttling. Does the CPU maintain full speed for the entire test? Are all cores and logical processors showing up in the Task Manager?

Yep BIOS does allow PL1 and PL2 at 4095W, but you know.. Just in case...

And now that CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration is set to High, I can go up to 140 Watts for an entire test, below 72°C, so everything is fine!

I won't go higher than "High" on Vcore LC since the setting just above raises the CPU to ~85°C, sadly

Thanks again for your help