Fractal Torrent Compact or Fractal Define R6

Hello, I'm looking for a quiet case at load with not too high temperatures. I know that's a bit contradictory but I'd like to find a good balance between the two as my computer is currently annoyingly audible at idle and frustratingly loud at load.

My system is built with a Ryzen 3700x with stock cooler, 32GB RAM and a 2080Ti. I use it for video editing. Can't quite remember which case I got but it's got a tempered glass front panel with 3x120mm fans that can't be controlled.

I did some research and took note of the following:

Fractal Torrent Compact - Case Torture, 100% RPM Stock Fans, 47dBA:  Fractal Define R6 - Case Torture, 100% RPM Stock Fans, 33dBA:  Fractal Torrent Compact - Case Torture, 50% RPM Stock Fans, Noise-Normalized to 36dBA:
CPU: 41.1ºC over ambient
GPU: 51.2ºC over ambient
 CPU: 56.0ºC over ambient
 GPU: 56.4ºC over ambient
 CPU: 44.3ºC over ambient
 GPU: 55.8ºC over ambient

Source: Torrent Compact Define R6

Both cases also happened to just go on sale at a local store, the Torrent Compact is 139.90€ (previously 169.90€) and the Define R6 is 89.90€ (previously 164.90€), until the 12th of June. These are very, very good prices. I'm also probably going to purchase a Noctua NH-D15S (can get one for 45€).

The Torrent Compact doesn't benefit at all from swapping fans and unfortunately I can't find any information on the R6's acoustics/thermals with swapped fans. I'd like to see how it fairs with Noctuas AF-14 as I wonder if it could maintain the 33db but decrease thermals.

The Fractal R6 also benefits from the ease of opening the front panel like a door to decrease thermals, but that also increases the noise to 39dBA which, I think, is really loud.

Here are a few of my questions:

• What would be more worth it?

- Invest in the 89.90€ Fractal Define R6 and potentially add/swap fans to the case (which will likely get more expensive than getting the Torrent Compact alone);

- Purchase the 139.90€ Torrent Compact, decrease its fans' RPM and call it a day.

• Is 36dBA audible at all? I've heard some people say it's easily audible and others saying it's silent so I'm a bit unsure.
  • With my current setup, my CPU sometimes reaches temperatures of 80ºC while editing, although it mostly averages the 70s, and my GPU has seen temperatures of 80ºC as well. Are these too high? At what temperatures does the CPU start losing performance? I heard Ryzens decrease their clock speed after, I think, 75ºC? I'd like to aim for temperatures below at least 75ºC but ideally in the 60s, but this could also change depending on the answer to this question.

• Using the data we have above, is there any way of estimating the temperatures of the CPU and GPU if I were to lower the Torrent's RPM even further 'til it hits 33dBA? Would installing 2x140mm fans on the bottom of the case help since I could lower RPM on all fans but have more airflow, decreasing noise and thermals?
  • Finally, just to make sure I got it right, both cases have PWM controllers, right?

Thank you for your help.

12 minutes ago, TFPN said:

Hello, I'm looking for a quiet case at load with not too high temperatures. I know that's a bit contradictory but I'd like to find a good balance between the two as my computer is currently annoyingly audible at idle and frustratingly loud at load.

My system is built with a Ryzen 3700x with stock cooler, 32GB RAM and a 2080Ti. I use it for video editing. Can't quite remember which case I got but it's got a tempered glass front panel with 3x120mm fans that can't be controlled.

I did some research and took note of the following:

Fractal Torrent Compact - Case Torture, 100% RPM Stock Fans, 47dBA:  Fractal Define R6 - Case Torture, 100% RPM Stock Fans, 33dBA:  Fractal Torrent Compact - Case Torture, 50% RPM Stock Fans, Noise-Normalized to 36dBA:
CPU: 41.1ºC over ambient
GPU: 51.2ºC over ambient
 CPU: 56.0ºC over ambient
 GPU: 56.4ºC over ambient
 CPU: 44.3ºC over ambient
 GPU: 55.8ºC over ambient

Source: Torrent Compact Define R6

Both cases also happened to just go on sale at a local store, the Torrent Compact is 139.90€ (previously 169.90€) and the Define R6 is 89.90€ (previously 164.90€), until the 12th of June. These are very, very good prices. I'm also probably going to purchase a Noctua NH-D15S (can get one for 45€).

The Torrent Compact doesn't benefit at all from swapping fans and unfortunately I can't find any information on the R6's acoustics/thermals with swapped fans. I'd like to see how it fairs with Noctuas AF-14 as I wonder if it could maintain the 33db but decrease thermals.

The Fractal R6 also benefits from the ease of opening the front panel like a door to decrease thermals, but that also increases the noise to 39dBA which, I think, is really loud.

Here are a few of my questions:

• What would be more worth it?

- Invest in the 89.90€ Fractal Define R6 and potentially add/swap fans to the case (which will likely get more expensive than getting the Torrent Compact alone);

- Purchase the 139.90€ Torrent Compact, decrease its fans' RPM and call it a day.

• Is 36dBA audible at all? I've heard some people say it's easily audible and others saying it's silent so I'm a bit unsure.
  • With my current setup, my CPU sometimes reaches temperatures of 80ºC while editing, although it mostly averages the 70s, and my GPU has seen temperatures of 80ºC as well. Are these too high? At what temperatures does the CPU start losing performance? I heard Ryzens decrease their clock speed after, I think, 75ºC? I'd like to aim for temperatures below at least 75ºC but ideally in the 60s, but this could also change depending on the answer to this question.

• Using the data we have above, is there any way of estimating the temperatures of the CPU and GPU if I were to lower the Torrent's RPM even further 'til it hits 33dBA? Would installing 2x140mm fans on the bottom of the case help since I could lower RPM on all fans but have more airflow, decreasing noise and thermals?
  • Finally, just to make sure I got it right, both cases have PWM controllers, right?

Thank you for your help.

In my understanding humans tend to respond not to the noise level per say but to sudden changes in noise level. Personally I would go for the Torrent nowadays, large fans need lower RPM for same air flow as a rule.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 5:28 AM, TFPN said:
  • With my current setup, my CPU sometimes reaches temperatures of 80ºC while editing, although it mostly averages the 70s, and my GPU has seen temperatures of 80ºC as well. Are these too high? At what temperatures does the CPU start losing performance? I heard Ryzens decrease their clock speed after, I think, 75ºC? I'd like to aim for temperatures below at least 75ºC but ideally in the 60s, but this could also change depending on the answer to this question

36 decibels is pretty close to ambient noise inside a building. My office is hovering about 40 right now with the HVAC running and it's definitely quiet.  Sounds obviously reduces the further you get from the source, so that is something to keep in mind.  My system at home reads 48 dba at the top of the case where my aio (Corsair h100i, fans locked at 900 rpm) is mounted. But when you get to a more normal position, the sounds drops off so much that I really need to listen to hear the whoosh of the fans.

Pulled this off the Google, from techpowerup - With his current air cooler, its hitting 90C, I believe thermal throttling on the 3700x hits around 85C. That's not "thermal throttling". Boost adjusts itself depending on whether you're below 70-80C (generally).

IMO- Grab a cheap tower cooler and that will help dramatically over the stock cooler that came with the 3700x - Vetroo V5 comes highly recommended.

Edited by mike_seps
clarity