No internet after getting New Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Have a look in device manager and see if there is an exclamation mark under network adapters. If there is then you need to install the driver as mentioned above.

hello, I recently went with my friend to best buy and got a new motherboard and spent hours building his new pc but when I turned it on he had no Wi-Fi and there is no other way for him to access Wi-Fi for his computer what are ways I can install or I am on my pc that actually had the same problem but I can't remeber how I fixed it he also does not have access to ethernet. the motherboard he is using is the MSI Z590 tomahawk please help 

2 ways you can fix this.

1. move the pc near to an ethernet port, and download the drivers for wifi.... don't forget to download other drivers you may need at the same time from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
  2. Download the drivers for the pc onto a usb drive and install the drivers... don't forget to download other drivers you may need at the same time from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Have a look in device manager and see if there is an exclamation mark under network adapters. If there is then you need to install the driver as mentioned above.

Windows 10 will need internet access to download the drivers. 11 may have the driver built-in. You'll need another PC with working internet to download the drivers ideally and put them on a flash drive as mentioned above, then install the drivers and off you go.

If this is not possible, take the PC to a repair shop and have them do it.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Usually a new motherboard means a clean install of Windows. You did a clean install?

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Usually a new motherboard means a clean install of Windows. You did a clean install?

well my friend did not do a clean install 

9 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

2 ways you can fix this.

1. move the pc near to an ethernet port, and download the drivers for wifi.... don't forget to download other drivers you may need at the same time from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
  2. Download the drivers for the pc onto a usb drive and install the drivers... don't forget to download other drivers you may need at the same time from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

my friend ended up using his old as laptop to get the drivers but they are in a file not as a application so we are lost on how to install the drivers?

10 minutes ago, SolariusGaming said:

my friend ended up using his old as laptop to get the drivers but they are in a file not as a application so we are lost on how to install the drivers?

You mean a new board doesn't come with a driver's disk anymore? 🙄

And took me about 10 sec's of Goggling to find this page for drivers: MAG Z590 TOMAHAWK WIFI

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

You unzip those files somewhere (on your desktop or in a temporary folder in your C: drive) ... 

Then you look inside that folder and look for Setup  , Install , MSI Install applications, whatever.   Run that application and it will install the driver. 

If there's NO application in the folder, only INF and CAT and DLL / SYS files, then you go in Device Manager, right click on the Device that the driver is for (if you're looking at network card driver, then you go in the Network Cards section and right click on a network card, and select UPDATE DRIVER (may have to select properties, then update from the window that pops up, not sure right now) , and at some point you have the option to tell Windows to look in that folder for a driver.  Windows will then check those files and if there's a compatible driver, it will take it from those files. 

If it says no suitable driver, maybe you picked the wrong device (maybe you picked the wireless card instead of the ethernet card), so try again with the other device.

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

You unzip those files somewhere (on your desktop or in a temporary folder in your 😄 drive) ... 

Then you look inside that folder and look for Setup  , Install , MSI Install applications, whatever.   Run that application and it will install the driver. 

If there's NO application in the folder, only INF and CAT and DLL / SYS files, then you go in Device Manager, right click on the Device that the driver is for (if you're looking at network card driver, then you go in the Network Cards section and right click on a network card, and select UPDATE DRIVER (may have to select properties, then update from the window that pops up, not sure right now) , and at some point you have the option to tell Windows to look in that folder for a driver.  Windows will then check those files and if there's a compatible driver, it will take it from those files. 

If it says no suitable driver, maybe you picked the wrong device (maybe you picked the wireless card instead of the ethernet card), so try again with the other device.

^^This

You can also try uninstalling the device in device manager and then reboot the pc. Hopefully that will force windows to install the driver if the above suggestion doesn't work.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

^^This

You can also try uninstalling the device in device manager and then reboot the pc. Hopefully that will force windows to install the driver if the above suggestion doesn't work.

You may have to direct Windows to the folder containing the unzipped installation files but it should be able to find the drivers and do it's thing in most cases.
If you have to it will say it can't find the drivers and will ask where to look - That's when you tell it where to go.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

21 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

You may have to direct Windows to the folder containing the unzipped installation files but it should be able to find the drivers and do it's thing in most cases.
If you have to it will say it can't find the drivers and will ask where to look - That's when you tell it where to go.

I have had issues where it will say the latest driver is installed, even if it isn't. If you uninstall the device and reboot then that can sometimes fix it.  

I have had it happen to me recently when I did an upgrade for a family member. The onboard gpu had an outdated driver, but Windows 10 was convinced it was the latest one. Ended up having to do a manual update.