GPU not fitting into pcie slot

Might be just a dumb error on my part but I can't figure out what's happening. I tried sliding my gpu into the pcie slot but before the gpu can reach it, the left side of the gpu's pcie mounting bracket seems to be hitting something. I tried taking out all of the expansion slots but the same thing keeps happening. It's feeling like the bottom where the two metal prongs of the gpu are snagging on something. I'm not sure if the picture helps but this is what's happening.

gpu.jpg

8 minutes ago, SneakySquid9 said:

Might be just a dumb error on my part but I can't figure out what's happening. I tried sliding my gpu into the pcie slot but before the gpu can reach it, the left side of the gpu's pcie mounting bracket seems to be hitting something. I tried taking out all of the expansion slots but the same thing keeps happening. It's feeling like the bottom where the two metal prongs of the gpu are snagging on something. I'm not sure if the picture helps but this is what's happening.

gpu.jpg

Make sure the metal prongs on the PCI plate have cleared the motherboard. Depending on the angle, you could just be jamming it into the board. Once you confirm it has cleared, just push hard until it clicks into place. I recommend doing this with the system sitting on its side with the motherboard facing up. You'll have much better leverage than trying to install the card sideways. Plus you'll be able to push straight down instead of at a slight angle potentially putting strain on the PCIe connector. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Make sure the metal prongs on the PCI plate have cleared the motherboard. Depending on the angle, you could just be jamming it into the board. Once you confirm it has cleared, just push hard until it clicks into place. I recommend doing this with the system sitting on its side with the motherboard facing up. You'll have much better leverage than trying to install the card sideways. Plus you'll be able to push straight down instead of at a slight angle potentially putting strain on the PCIe connector. 

I tried doing it flat but it seems like it's hitting something in the case. I don't think it's hitting the board but it is a really small gap between the board and the case

Is an output port shroud perhaps contacting the case frame inside the expansion slot hole? New cards will have plastic dust cap block offs that protrude slightly to allow being removed, and I can see a potential for contact with the case frame in this situation depending on port location heightwise.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

58 minutes ago, SneakySquid9 said:

gpu.jpg

Use a (preferably plastic or wood) knife, ruler or something similar in thickness to probe the gap and see if there is an obstruction, shining a torch or phone light through from the back could help to see better. It is possible there is a cable in the way, or the motherboard could be shifted right a couple of millimetres by loosening the screws and gently shifting the board. Also check that the prongs on the end of the cards bracket are straight.

• 4 weeks later...

@SneakySquid9

I have discovered something odd that forces me to admit to what is likely a newbie mistake. I tend to leave certain adhesive film protectors intact, as proof the component is new should an RMA be needed. In my most recent build, I have found it to be potentially contributory to a problem that seemed to be causing my GPU to lift itself free of the latch in its slot, behaving much like yours is. Twice now it has randomly failed to start even though everything lit up as it should, but no display. Both times, function was restored by lightly pushing in on cables, DIMM modules and GPU to ensure proper seating. I had noticed before it didn't seem to want to sit right, but I wasn't quite sure why.

What I figured out this time is that the adhesive sheeting covering the GPU's expansion slot cover was actually bunching up against the expansion slot cage and putting the rear of the card in a bind, which apparently has been slowly but surely causing the front to force the latch open and work free. Very strange phenomena. This is the first time I've seen this happen. I removed the sheeting before re-seating the GPU and it seems to install much more easily now. Time will tell. If it doesn't do it again within a few weeks, I'd say I found the problem. Just thought you might want to to double-check for something like this.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!