Slow benchmark scores with the 12700k

ConfusedPenguin
Go to solution Solved by ConfusedPenguin,

Thanks for the replies guys. Turns out I simply had my plan in Power Options set to 'Power saver', reducing my CPU's performance by almost half. Now that I have it set to 'Ultimate performance', the CPU is running at full speeds. 

Recently I built a new pc with the i7-12700k and am confused as to why this CPU isn't performing very well in benchmarks. 

On Geekbench 5, I'm getting a score of around 1075 for the single-core test and 9886 for the multi-core test, wheras the average scores for this CPU are 1904 and 14080 respectively.

PC specs; 
i7-12700k

MSI Mag Tomahawk z690

h100i elite capellix

16gb 3600mhz cl16 ram

samsung 980 pro 2tb

3080ti

1000w psu

Any help would be appreciated. 

Well, it's an overclockable CPU and since every CPU is slightly different, motherboards have different VRMs and every cooling solution is different, people get different overclocking results and different benchmarks.

So, do you have an actual problem, causing your favorite games to run badly or are you just sad because there are people with a higher score?

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

22 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

So, do you have an actual problem, causing your favorite games to run badly or are you just sad because there are people with a higher score?

Pretty sure i'd class a CPU running almost 50% below average results a problem.

37 minutes ago, ConfusedPenguin said:

Any help would be appreciated. 

Have you monitored your temps/clocks while running the benchmark?

@ConfusedPenguin

Run CPU-Z and see if it is reporting all of your cores and threads and see what speed your CPU is running at. You can also use the Task Manager to report Cores and Logical processors. Here is what a 10850K shows.

wuNQIVl.png

A 12700K should show 8 performance cores + 4 efficiency cores (12) and a total of 20 Logical processors. If you do not have that, check the bios to make sure hyper threading is enabled. Also check msconfig. Click on the Boot tab, press the Advanced options... button and make sure the Number of processors box is not checked. This box should never be checked. Clear this box and reboot if it is checked. 

TcsWqAq.png

Run a benchmark like Cinebench R23 so you can compare your results with other 12700K owners. Watch the CPU speed with CPU-Z while this benchmark is running to make sure your CPU is running at full speed for the entire test. In R23, set the Minimum Test Duration to Off so it only does a single benchmark run at a time. 

image.png.6aa3a8657188df585e0edd166d3b1da7.png

Thanks for the replies guys. Turns out I simply had my plan in Power Options set to 'Power saver', reducing my CPU's performance by almost half. Now that I have it set to 'Ultimate performance', the CPU is running at full speeds.