The Demise of 3DTV - The Hype Machine's Biggest Mistake

AdamFromLTT
On 5/15/2022 at 7:08 PM, IRMacGuyver said:

I was a movie theatre projectionist for 15 years and studied 3D specifically in an attempt to make myself attractive to an archive museum but they only want people straight out of college with a preservation degree, not real world experience so I was put out of work by robots. Fun note, I rediscovered a special print of The Creature From the Black Lagoon that was printed in red green anaglyph instead of the more common red blue or magenta cyan styles. After screening it in my theatre it was taken out of circulation and shipped to a vault for preservation. 

Your post was VERY informative and furthermore how they acted about you was wrong. 

can u plz tell me the name of the game jake playing in the background

i love those kind of games

On 5/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, AdamFromLTT said:

can u plz tell me the name of the game jake playing in background

I am horribly sensitive to bad 3D implementations, as well as LED flicker. I'd be interested if someone ever studied this or made some other over-arching correlation.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

As a big fan of 3D movies I see some half-true tendencies  in this episode that make me say

Linus is talking 3D dead!

I understand that passive 3D technology with polarising glasses might be good for a TV where the screen itself emits light. So if nothing comes to mess with the carefully polarised light it's alright. But the imperfect reflection from a projection screen (be it in a cinema or home theatre) introduces all kinds of problems from shifting colours to seeing double.

When you tested the active 3D playstation monitor from the stoneage you mentioned, that those glasses change polarisation actively. This might lead to the misunderstanding, that both techniques are basically the same - just passive and active polarising.

Today's active 3D glasses have nothing to do with polarisation!

They simply black out one eye at a time. Which is why they are calles shutter glasses and which is why it is simply the best technology. It does not mess with anything in the path of light and does not change vision. No colour shifts, no ghost frames (well it requires synchronisation). Epson's projectors with active 3D have high frequency active 3D glasses which is really comfortable to watch.
Well to be clear the glasses do the dimming with the help of polarising. They have two perpendicular LCD polarising filters in each glass. When they turn on they filter light of all polarisations which means they simply go black. It's the same as an adjustable ND filter for cameras.

Producing good content for 3D is a really big effort. You need to figure out how to converge the line of sight at the focal point when filming with two cameras and how to adjust that and the distance between the two viewpoints to preserve scale. Films that were made with 3D in mind, actually shot on two cameras simultaneously - those are really great! Resident Evil for example has it all. Best live action 3D movies by far.
Today's converted 3D is ridiculous down to the point, that reflections don't have depth. Reflections simply look like a texture on a shiny pane. Camera shakes in action sequences. Shallow depth of field. Focus pulls all over the place - please, dear film industry, make more real 3D movies. They are really good if you present them right!

And that right 3D presentation is either with active 3D glasses on a projection screen (yes, I've seen this in a theatre once and it is so much better than passive polarising glasses!) or up to date polarising technique with a self emitting screen.

Can we get some appreciation for the back of the E6 TV? It's beautiful...

This was really interesting, I'd completely forgotten about that Sony Playstation TV, the "splitscreen" mode was so awesome!
image.png.395e9d7450acfeb5e5702ef21f2163e1.png
I have an old (like 120+ years old) Perfecscope (stereoscopic handheld viewer like the one from the newspaper ad at start of the video), found it at a thrift store here in Europe a few years ago in very good condition 😄, it's actually exceptionally good, the glass lenses are amazing, especially considering its age, it is exceptionally clear compared to a lot of modern implementations that use Fresnel lenses

image.thumb.png.a4656b70397393a9ad307ce758b828b1.png

image.thumb.png.66a03e54b8003da838a0f64a89dfe8fe.png

image.thumb.png.4777a0a0ce5d857fb07f53586ad0fcdc.png

Anyone know which store that Linus went to buy those 3D movies? And where did he find a G6??? 

• 3 months later...

Hey there, kind of late here but... where did you find that LG Signature 3D? I've been 6 years looking for one without look. Most of eBay sales seem pretty sketchy to actually see them as a potential place to buy from... 😅

• 6 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, aka the gamer said:

can u plz tell me the name of the game jake playing in the background

i love those kind of games

I think its title menu is shown around the 5 minute mark. "Super Stardust HD."