The Demise of 3DTV - The Hype Machine's Biggest Mistake

3D TV was poised to be the NEXT BIG STEP FORWARD for home entertainment, but as quickly as the zeitgeist began, it disappeared. What happened? Was at home 3D really that bad? To find out, we take a look at two 3D Displays using the two most prevalent technologies. The Active 3D PlayStation 3D Display and the Passive LG OLED Signature G6.

Posted (edited)

But some of the 3D was fun though

If you want to sort of experience a little of it on youtube, here you go 😛

3kliksphilip, Nvidia 3D Vision - Tomb Raider (different youtube settings, with various types of glasses and methods)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfrf2LLdUI

VR, AR, 3D TV's, "hologram" TV? (some LTT videos on the subject) and more.

Playstation 3D Display: Better in 2019 than 2011, sony TV and reshade tool for 3D and other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zBfE1zNZE

Edited by Quackers101

VR was mentioned, but I would have liked to see them try 3d content in a VR app like Bigscreen, what's neat is that the app can control what each eye can see, so you can take the side by side content and split it between the eyes.

I don't know how it is but for me around 13:50 give or take when they watch Titanic in 3D it feels like even I can see it's 3D. It looks ...different.

I actually have a footage of me playing Crysis 2 with AMD's HD3D:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Posted (edited)

XR, light field and other stuff

light fields, two minute paper - Videos From The Future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XM5-CJzrU0

projectors closer to your eye ball, light field everything into oblivion.

CREAL's light-field technology in AR glasses (if it ever works at such scale).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYnDYzTG8Cw

stanford on the topic, could be used for VR too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Ge08MwSLQ

Edited by Quackers101

at 12:52 in the video it says Steve Carell on screen. What movie is that?

spacer.png

It went the same way as the much hyped smart appliances ... no-one has a smart oven or smart microwave!

32 minutes ago, kokosnh said:

R.I.P. Headphone Users 🙉

Yeah, that scared the fuck out of me. Equalize your shit, LTT!

My family actually got a 3DTV around the era when basically all the mid-to-high end ones were 3D, and I remember it being pretty decently impressive. I think even the weird passive "apply it to all content" 3D wasn't totally awful? But ultimately it felt like a fad and my interest ultimately faded pretty quickly. Which is funny, because I remember being really enthusiastic about getting one. Ah well.

I don't know the exact reason, but as I've aged into an elderly, decrepit old man (24) I have really started struggling with 3D. I accidentally saw Spider-Man: Far From Home in a 3D showing and had to bail after 20 minutes because I just could not get it to look like it was in non-splitto vision. Same with the 3DS, even the "New" model. Oculus Quest works fine, though. Go figure.

Was also my first "Smart TV", and it was...less than great at that, to put it nicely. Started off as a little crappy and slow but still basically usable and then within 2 years those features kinda just became useless and non-functional.

Really good TV otherwise, to be fair. Don't know the exact model, but it was a Panasonic one, and it genuinely looked pretty stunning at the time. Family has a 4K Samsung now, but the Panasonic's still pulling bedroom duty.

3 hours ago, Rellik66 said:

VR was mentioned, but I would have liked to see them try 3d content in a VR app like Bigscreen, what's neat is that the app can control what each eye can see, so you can take the side by side content and split it between the eyes.

Really would love a followup with this. I personally still love to "find" 3D animated content online and watch it in Bigscreen using VLC and Bigscreen's native SBS 3D functionality

I'll also say, I'm a little biased being a VR researcher. But I'd definitely love to see linus talk about this as a potential future of 3D content. I'm also curious to hear his opinion on it considering the current drawbacks of most VR displays, such as text readability, screen door effect, aliasing, etc. Then again, this will also be interesting once Oculus's Project Cambria finally is unveilled/released since Zuck has gone on record to promote it as "replacing the workplace laptop", which would mean they are claiming to have solved the resolution/text readability problem.

3 hours ago, Rellik66 said:

Just one software, Whirligig. It does almost everything except your laundry and dinner, side-by-side, fisheye, 3D movie, VR content, custom settings and more almost anything humans have decided to do for 3D TV or VR. Negative side on this is that resolution, while we are now in that 5K per eye it's still not as nice to look at projected 100" 3D TV in VR as it would be with actual 3D TV (something like Varjo VR-3 or XR-3 could probably change things but the price is just pure madness even for companies).

Jsut one BIG notice: You won't be watching 3D Blu-Rays with VR, mainly because the DRM stuff and just having the correct BR drive. Unlike Linus said in the video 3D and 4K BR are more or less married couple because they use the same media, multi-layer BR. This is the main reason why your normal BR player cannot play them because basic BR movie is on single-layer BR (PS3 can read dual-layer BR but triple( and quad)-layer BRs are out, those are rare but still some use them). Second thing is the DRM which is a complete b**ch, SGX being completely broken in Windows 11 tells you pretty much the whole story (SGX is the DRM used in 4K BRs and it being broken means no 4K BR movies for Win11).

So you have a huge content problem. That can be solved but I don't think the first choice is good idea to make a LTT video about because it being illegal, second one is that most of the 3D/VR "movie" content that you can buy from the internet, download and start watching isn't really "family friendly" (people often used to laugh how "that" industry turned VHS winner over Beta and now with VR video content it's again "that" industry and they are doing pretty impressive stuff actually, they have VR livestreams FFS, while the other world is still thinking if it's Twitch or just Thotch and who's should be banned). VR YouTube is a thing, of course, but other streaming services and their 3D content in VR is probably not possible.

The 3D TV craze looks so much like the current Metaverse craze to me, and it shares many of the same problems.

3D TV provider wanted a new (much more expensive) technology to become the norm, but they didn't have enough investor backing to force it to catch up with a customer base that just didn't care enough.

Facebook would like to have everyone living hours a day inside Facebook with a 3D VR set, working in virtual facebook offices, getting paid in Facebook company scrip, consuming entertainment in Facebook VR chat rooms and theaters. Marketed as The Matrix/Ready Player One, not realizing those technologies were the villain of their respective movies.

My System: i7-8700 // Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU Cooler + Noctua 2X120mm 2X140mm system fans// Gigabyte Z370 HD3// 2x8GB DDR4-3000 Corsair // Asus TUF 3080 10GB // Itek Replay2.0 Modified for airflow // Corsair RM650x Gold modular // 32GB M.2 Optane + 2X120GB Kingston A400 + 2X1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM +1X USB3.0 External 6TB 5400RPM // Displays: LG 27GL850 IPS 1440p 144Hz + Philips 273V5LHAB TN 1080p 60Hz + Acer ka220hq TN 1080p 60Hz // https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dL42q3

13 hours ago, iLikeBananas said:

at 12:52 in the video it says Steve Carell on screen. What movie is that?

spacer.png

Despicable Me 2

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Some 3D couch gaming on a tv would still be interesting to see.  A way to integrate the discussion on the WAN show of emulating Nintendo games and having a video featuring them could be using the Dolphin emulator to output SBS 3D playing Mario Kart Wii.  I've given this a try and from memory it looked great with a few graphical glitches.

so basicly what one could do with this, is to turn with higher refresh monitors that are now out into displaying 3-4 different types of content on the same display?

hurr hurr, let me get 4 in 1 😛

I've got a free-to-adopt solution to propose: Cross-eyed 3D!

It doesn't even affect the image's brightness but it feels dumb and the image has to be a little smaller in your FOV.

I'm still using 3D everywhere: YouTube, Movies, Games, and even photos (there are thousands of stereo photographers, and there are since the XIX century, even on wars or periods without any 3D resurgence), I personally do all my photos in 3D with my iPhone, I don't make 2d photos.

These lasts years, glasses-free 3D is silently becoming a thing, much better than the old "New" Nintendo 3DS (which already made 3D usable for the 3DS). I have two 3D tablets: the ProMa King Tablet, and the Lume Pad.

3D at cinemas have become a totally kick-ass immersive experience thanks to 4DX theaters (4DX in 2d looks like an artificial trick, but when you watch the movie with depth, you feel totally inside the movie, and it feels so natural you don't notice you're in a room).

For games, thanks to the community, you can play almost any recent game in real Stereoscopic 3D, and man, some games are awesome in 3D.

To not speak the ever-increasing 3D photo community, people today watch photo communities like if it were text, few times somebody keeps watching a 2d photo for more than 3 or 4 seconds. People literally watch hundreds of beautiful images a day, but they don't appreciate them much. But in 3D you get a lot more things to watch, people appreciate more the art and beauty of the image.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:49 PM, Uttamattamakin said:

I don't know how it is but for me around 13:50 give or take when they watch Titanic in 3D it feels like even I can see it's 3D. It looks ...different.

It's post production 3D created with computers guessing depth and then James Cameron and an editor sat down and tweaked each and every shot to "push" the 3D depth effect in order to make it pop more that would be natural but not so much as to look horribly fake, like how Clash of the Titans screwed up.

There are so many problems with this episode.  If you're going to present something as fact research it first. The first 3D films were polarized and required running two film prints at the same time. One print for each eye with a polarizing filter in front of the lens to correspond to the lenses in the glasses. Anaglyph mostly became popular in the 70s as anaglyph glasses were actually the first version of 3D that allowed you to play the same movies at home. You could get all the 80s 3D movies on VHS with the anaglyph effect still intact. Sometimes tv stations would even show films and shows in 3D. Look at the 3D Home Improvement episode.  And where the hell is the mention of glasses free 3D tvs?  Some of those looked really promising.  

Many polarized style 3D film prints have been partially lost to time due to the fact that it was easy for distributors to split up the left eye and right eye prints for theatres not equipped to play 3D to still be able to project the film.  There are also odd half frame versions of 3D film where the two frames take up half the frame each.  One eye on top and one eye on the bottom so that when used with a special lens that realigned the images on top of eachother a theatre could show a polarized 3D film on an otherwise normal 35mm projector.  And despite claims to the contrary you can show a polarized 3D film on a nonsilvered screen you just need more light to punch it up so that the limited loss of polarization is less noticeable. That's only suggested on 3 or 4 blade shutter projectors though as a two blade one could leave the frame exposed to much too bright a light source for too long and burn the film.  Much of this information is being lost because there was not much documentation ever produced since projectionist was an apprenticeship style trade.  Any time people like me try to add this sort of handed down knowledge to places like wikipedia it is removed as being unsourced or "first hand research."

I was a movie theatre projectionist for 15 years and studied 3D specifically in an attempt to make myself attractive to an archive museum but they only want people straight out of college with a preservation degree, not real world experience so I was put out of work by robots. Fun note, I rediscovered a special print of The Creature From the Black Lagoon that was printed in red green anaglyph instead of the more common red blue or magenta cyan styles. After screening it in my theatre it was taken out of circulation and shipped to a vault for preservation. 

I come to bury 3D, not to praise it.

No, seriously, fuck 3D.

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

I never had a 3D TV, but I did get to experience Nvidia 3D Vison on a compatible 120hz Samsung Display waaay back. It was basically useless (at least on any of the games I played back then), but it was really cool to see large or flying units stick out of the screen in Starcraft 2.

One thing I do really like is 3D movies in cinemas though, well, after they stopped using the active shutter glasses at least. Never had any sickness issues and some movies do include scenes that look significantly more impressive in 3D. It's just a pity that there are less and less 3D movies being shown at cinemas.

Meanwhile in 2022: Ivy Bridge-E is still refusing to die.

Desktop: Intel Xeon 1680V2 @4.5GHz; 32GB DDR3-2400; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop: AMD Ryzen 5 2500 /w Vega Graphics; 8GB DDR4

Still own and use my 3D TV. I have a LG 55" 3D curved OLED and I get a lot of my blu-ray second hand for next to nothing. The family love movie nights in 3D.

Most of the 3D i remember is from movies in my childhood. I watched the first Hobbit movie in 3D and at least from my memory it was pretty good. But the 3D implementation on my 3DS is rather poor. The image just gets blurry and induces headaches.

About monitor marketing BS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: LG C2 OLED 42" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro - Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

So when I moved into my new home in 2017, I actively sort out the LG E655 TV knowing that the E7 didn't have 3D capabilities. It was truly excellent; Pacific Rim 3D blew me away when I watched it. And from then I went on a bit of a 3D buying thing, though I seem to have mostly collected Marvel. I am hoping the TV lasts long enough for me to be able to watch some good 3D with my son, when he is old enough. And while it is no longer my main TV, I still have it in the front room and it's excellent, but I do enjoy using the 3D playback on the Oculus more than watching it on the TV even though it's a good experience, though a singular one. And for those wondering, I was using an OPPO 203 as the 3D input device, so it's a good player. The OPPO remains in the film room now attached to the E6's replacement.

3D will be back; Sony need to perfect the SR Display tech in big screen format and that will take away the whole glasses issue and be it'll be embraced once again 🙂