gaming laptop not performing as well as expected

Go to solution Solved by CephDigital,

I wouldn't recommend thermal grizzly for laptops, they tend to go bad really quickly in laptops for some reason (souce: me after constantly repasting it when it went bad, still not sure if it was a bad batch). 

Go for something thicker, IC Diamond worked great for me.

Also clean the fans. They help a lot if they're clean! 

I have a Asus ROG STRIX GL503GE with i5 8300H 16gb ram and 1050ti(Purchased in 2019). I am getting very poor performance in games like apex legends, when playing in windowed mode in 720P resolution in low settings the fps is still below 60. So far I have trying using a cooling pad with 5 fans and also have re-applied the thermal paste, The GPU performance increase by 5-10 percent CPU performance was already great and it improved significantly. Is my laptop on its last legs ?, is there anything else I could do to improve my GPU performance ?, is it advisable to give it to a shop ?

UserBenchmark Score's:

UserBenchmarks: Game 30%, Desk 79%, Work 25%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8300H - 70.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 33%
SSD: Kingston RBUSNS8154P3128GJ 128GB - 63.5%
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2.5" 1TB - 45.6%
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD 859B CB8GS2666.C8JT 16GB - 80.2%
MBD: Asus Strix 15 GL503GE

EDIT:

3d benchmark score

image.thumb.png.41ebbb75e337c2f15cb0318fb2ae7bc2.png

image.thumb.png.1f0d452009ea81779f3503804b6b6a6e.png

image.thumb.png.90fe5fca9cc736006b98f757b12ed315.png

Edited by villain_in_glass
added 3d benchmark score

I would not really use userbenchmark to check out gpu perf 😄 maybe use a dedicated gpu benchmark and check out your score compared to other systems with that gpu u could also check if u run into thermal or power limits maybe your power adapter is dying 

19 minutes ago, villain_in_glass said:

I have a Asus ROG STRIX GL503GE with i5 8300H 16gb ram and 1050ti(Purchased in 2019). I am getting very poor performance in games like apex legends, when playing in windowed mode in 720P resolution in low settings the fps is still below 60. So far I have trying using a cooling pad with 5 fans and also have re-applied the thermal paste, The GPU performance increase by 5-10 percent CPU performance was already great and it improved significantly. Is my laptop on its last legs ?, is there anything else I could do to improve my GPU performance ?, is it advisable to give it to a shop ?

UserBenchmark Score's:

UserBenchmarks: Game 30%, Desk 79%, Work 25%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8300H - 70.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 33%
SSD: Kingston RBUSNS8154P3128GJ 128GB - 63.5%
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2.5" 1TB - 45.6%
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD 859B CB8GS2666.C8JT 16GB - 80.2%
MBD: Asus Strix 15 GL503GE

Use something like the 3D-mark Demo(available for free on Steam) to benchmark your syytem. Are you sure that it's using your dGPU? Did you get that performance on battery or plugged in? Gaming laptops never perform as good on batzery as they do when plugged in because these batteries can not deliver enough power to run your laptop on full power. Also NVidia throttles your games to 30FPS on battery to improve battery life. You can change this in GeForce experience

even way back when userbenchmark wasnt considered an unreliable source of information the 'actual scores' were absolutely useless. it's good to compare two components in very specific tests, but as soon as they start sticking global numbers on things you may as well use a crystal ball.

thank you guys for the suggestion. I have added 3d benchmark demo test score as well

9 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

Use something like the 3D-mark Demo(available for free on Steam) to benchmark your syytem. Are you sure that it's using your dGPU? Did you get that performance on battery or plugged in? Gaming laptops never perform as good on batzery as they do when plugged in because these batteries can not deliver enough power to run your laptop on full power. Also NVidia throttles your games to 30FPS on battery to improve battery life. You can change this in GeForce experience

I always use my laptop plugged into the power. Although I do use an external monitor.

5 hours ago, villain_in_glass said:

I always use my laptop plugged into the power. Although I do use an external monitor.

Your GPU kept reaching 100°C with an average of like 95 degrees. I'd say that your thermal paste is bad. No laptop GPU should be in the 90s

7 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

Your GPU kept reaching 100°C with an average of like 95 degrees. I'd say that your thermal paste is bad. No laptop GPU should be in the 90s

I made sure to scrap off old paste which was dried up using rubbing alcohol then applied a pea sized drop of thermal grizzly paste on cpu and a glob of the same on the gpu(like a glob of a toothpaste). I followed a tutorial on YouTube . The mistake i remember making was screwing the heat sink fans in the wrong order.

3 hours ago, villain_in_glass said:

I made sure to scrap off old paste which was dried up using rubbing alcohol then applied a pea sized drop of thermal grizzly paste on cpu and a glob of the same on the gpu(like a glob of a toothpaste). I followed a tutorial on YouTube . The mistake i remember making was screwing the heat sink fans in the wrong order.

I would suggest checking the spread of the thermal paste. For the GPU, I would personally rather spread it out before mounting thre heazsink and I would rather put on a bit too much than too little

On 5/14/2022 at 2:03 PM, DreamCat04 said:

I would suggest checking the spread of the thermal paste. For the GPU, I would personally rather spread it out before mounting thre heazsink and I would rather put on a bit too much than too little

Spent a while re applying the thermal paste on the GPU and re applied on the CPU as well didn't change much. Also I saw an impression of the CPU on the heatsink. 

image.thumb.png.35ea0456680582b9558cd2fd7eeeda82.png

IMG20220516202954.jpg

I wouldn't recommend thermal grizzly for laptops, they tend to go bad really quickly in laptops for some reason (souce: me after constantly repasting it when it went bad, still not sure if it was a bad batch). 

22 hours ago, CephDigital said:

The outlet vent was clogged and the thermal paste came off.

The outlet vents were clogged so much so that no air came out of the outlet hence the high temperature. I also faced issues with thermal grizzly paste.

The laptop is now working properly thank you for all the feedback you guys