8gb of vram enough on a gpu for 1080p gaming on modern games?

diamondarrow67
Go to solution Solved by SavageNeo,

8GB is plenty at 1080p, on modern very demanding games, tuning down the setting a bit will do.

Hi, so I finally noticed gpu prices have come back down to earth and decided that it is time to lay my 3gb 1060 to rest, I am between the rx 6600 and 3060, I noticed that in traditional rasterization the 6600 at 1080p seems to outperform, but will 8gb of vram be enough for this gen? Main games I wish to pl I tried looking at the amount of vram and basing my choice off that but it seems the ps5 doesnt exactly have dedicated vram nor does the xbox so I series systems. In terms of settings im fine with a mix of high and ultra, i dont want to spend extra money on a gpu with vram I wont need for 1080p textures

Here is the other relevant specs of my pc:
CPU: I7 6700K @ 4.5GHZ
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz
PSU: 600w thermaltake TR2 80+ "white" label

From my own experience, getting a card with bigger vram always helps out in the long term as long as GPU is not a piece of shit. As far 8G for 1080p goes, I am able to max out my vram capacity regularly in games like RDR2 and FH5 at 1080p using my 3070.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Any experience with the asus phoenix line of cards? Its the cheapest 3060 I can find at 390$ I am hearing some conflicting reviews which is a bit concerning

I forgot to mention that I have no plans for raytracing if that impacts the vram in anyway

So with gpu prices coming down to earth, i finally can move on from my 3gb 1060 that was meant to be a temporary card, im between the 3060 and rx 6600, i noticed that the 6600 beats out the 3060 in traditional rasterization, I have no interest in raytracing but I am only tempted by the 3060 due to the vram amount, at 1080p 75hz gaming is 12gb of vram overkill? I would like to run games on a mix of medium to high/ultra settings for this generation. 

Specs:

I7 6700k @ 4.5ghz
RAM: DDR4 2 x 8 GB @ 2400MHZ
PSU: 600W Thermaltake TR2

-= Merged Topics =-

Please do not multipost topics.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

at 1080p most games usually need around 4gb of vram at high settings.

1440p around 4-6 gb, 4k 6-8gb.

It will require more vram in the future once all games use 4k native textures. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

What games do you want to play? I've got an RTX 2060 Super, an 8GB card which is comparable in performance to the RX 6600 and RTX 3060 - a bit slower, yes, but in the ballpark. I've had no issue with VRAM in games playing at 1440p, even modern titles like Control, SotTR, Detroit Become Human, Halo Infinite, etc don't run into issues for me. However, I'm not a fan of running mods, and I've heard that some mods can be pretty VRAM intensive, so that's another consideration - if you like playing with mods, you may need more VRAM.

15 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

What games do you want to play? I've got an RTX 2060 Super, an 8GB card which is comparable in performance to the RX 6600 and RTX 3060 - a bit slower, yes, but in the ballpark. I've had no issue with VRAM in games playing at 1440p, even modern titles like Control, SotTR, Detroit Become Human, Halo Infinite, etc don't run into issues for me. However, I'm not a fan of running mods, and I've heard that some mods can be pretty VRAM intensive, so that's another consideration - if you like playing with mods, you may need more VRAM.

Main games I want to play, at least in terms of upcoming, are going to be gta 6 and the new Harry Potter game, otherwise its a mix of anywhere between a year or two old such as doom eternal where i have almost no vram to spare even on the lowest of settings  to over 10 year old games such as batman arkham city where I don’t need a gpu upgrade because they run fine. I can technically run new games such as cyberpunk on the lowest settings, but its not great. Also some games such as halo infinite will launch but complain the whole time due to my 3gb of vram

On 5/7/2022 at 11:57 PM, Levent said:

From my own experience, getting a card with bigger vram always helps out in the long term as long as GPU is not a piece of shit. As far 8G for 1080p goes, I am able to max out my vram capacity regularly in games like RDR2 and FH5 at 1080p using my 3070.

So this would mean a 3060 is in this case better then the ti? Ti is faster though but has less vram...

1 hour ago, phil7990 said:

So this would mean a 3060 is in this case better then the ti? Ti is faster though but has less vram...

The 3060 TI is quite a bit faster and always the better choice, except you absolutely need the extra Vram. 8 GB is enough most of the times and if not, tweaking some settings should fix that problem easily.

6 hours ago, Darknighterror said:

The 3060 TI is quite a bit faster and always the better choice, except you absolutely need the extra Vram. 8 GB is enough most of the times and if not, tweaking some settings should fix that problem easily.

ok noted, thanks!

Core architecture>Core speed~=~VRAM speed>amount of VRAM.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

More then enough..

Higher rez--》higher usage of VRAM

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

8GB is plenty at 1080p, on modern very demanding games, tuning down the setting a bit will do.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)