Lenovo Legion 5 Pro screen issue

Nowak

So back in January I got a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with a Ryzen 7 5800H and RTX 3060 to replace my desktop as it was giving me so many issues and I was unable to keep up with them. It's a wonderful machine! It's significantly faster than my old desktop while not having any of the myriad of issues I experienced before retiring it! Except one thing: the internal display likes to flicker black. The actual panel stays on, but the backlight just turns off and starts flickering on and off. It's been doing this since I got it, and I have no idea why. I've tried asking Lenovo for help, and they were useless. I've tried asking on r/LenovoLegion in case someone else there had a similar issue, and got no response. I've tried random things I've found online, and nothing's worked so far.

So I'm at wit's end. I really want to keep this machine, it's been nothing but wonderful otherwise. But this makes traveling with it, as you do with a laptop, hard. I figured I might as well ask here in case any L5P owners here had a similar problem.

I should also note that normally at home I keep it plugged into two monitors, one 1440p and one 1080p and both FreeSync-enabled, and neither of them have the same issue. I dunno if that means anything or not.

pls help

If I am not misunderstanding the description, it sounds like it could be a fault.

If it only happens when you start/end a game or other graphically intensive workload, it might be some weirdness with switching between the iGPU and dGPU. If it might be that, you can try forcing dGPU only mode in the bios. Disabling AMD GPU solved a lot of weirdness for me on my 5 non-pro.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I have the AMD iGPU off in the BIOS rn. Only the 3060 is enabled.

Speaking of, I have not seen this happening while in the BIOS either.

39 minutes ago, porina said:

If I am not misunderstanding the description, it sounds like it could be a fault.

If it only happens when you start/end a game or other graphically intensive workload, it might be some weirdness with switching between the iGPU and dGPU. If it might be that, you can try forcing dGPU only mode in the bios. Disabling AMD GPU solved a lot of weirdness for me on my 5 non-pro.

If the actual display is functioning, but the backlight is flickering, that smells like a hardware fault. Wonder if there’s some voltage sagging occurring?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't know and I don't know how to diagnose that.

Don't know how it works in the US, but can you take it back to the place you bought it from and show them this occurance? 

In europe this would go straight into the manufacturers warranty, and the backlight would either be replaced for free, or you would get a new functioning laptop.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Don't know how it works in the US, but can you take it back to the place you bought it from and show them this occurance? 

In europe this would go straight into the manufacturers warranty, and the backlight would either be replaced for free, or you would get a new functioning laptop.

Yes, but the return window expired months ago. I'd have to go through Lenovo if I need to go through that route now.

please excuse me, I am re-learning how forums work gfkdhdfg

58 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Yes, but the return window expired months ago. I'd have to go through Lenovo if I need to go through that route now.

please excuse me, I am re-learning how forums work gfkdhdfg

In europe you don't need to be inside the return window, manufacturer caused issue == warranty issue.

Especially because you have had the issue from the very start.

But I can't understand how even the Lenovo support can turn you away with an issue that big.

Do you underplay the issue when talking to them? Just can't wrap my head around it.

If you say "My laptop display is constantly flashing on and off when turning the laptop on, and has been doing this since the beginning", they don't give you warranty support?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

In europe you don't need to be inside the return window, manufacturer caused issue == warranty issue.

Especially because you have had the issue from the very start.

But I can't understand how even the Lenovo support can turn you away with an issue that big.

Do you underplay the issue when talking to them? Just can't wrap my head around it.

If you say "My laptop display is constantly flashing on and off when turning the laptop on, and has been doing this since the beginning", they don't give you warranty support?

They couldn't get me any proper support beyond telling me "just reset it lol" a day before I went to visit friends. I'd seek local support but there are no authorized Lenovo repair shops in my state or any nearby states apparently.

It's very on/off, and I have no clue what triggers it. The other day it was working just fine, and I was using the internal display as a third monitor to watch DSU prog on Twitch. Then, I joined a Discord call and the backlight started flashing on and off.

I don't get it.

If I can't find anything I might just try replacing the display myself because I cba to send this into Lenovo, especially since my old desktop doesn't have a graphics card anymore and was crashing if I put it under a moderate load, and my only other usable computer is a low-end Chromebook a friend got me for my birthday. It's my device, I should be able to try to fix it myself.

I already have some potential panels lined up, I just need to recover from shoulder surgery when that happens in a few days and get the money for the panel.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, 

i'm having this same problem on my lenovo legion 5 17 inch version with 5800h and rtx 3060. 

the laptop has no issue when it's just been booted up. 

however, after some use, the screen would randomly go black, with the back light still on

one way to make it work again is to close the lid, and open up again, but this only works half of the time

i was thinking the lid sensor might be faulty, and thinks that the lid is closed when in fact it is open when the computer gets hot. that's just my guess. 

have you managed to fix yours?

this happens after a clean reinstall with lenovo windows recovery usb, so it cant be a software issue. it happens in both hybrid and discrete graphics mode. 

some others suggest pressing win control shift B. this does not fix the black screen issue.