The Oculus "Quest 2" Name/Brand is one step closer to its grave.

darknessblade

Summary

Meta has taken yet another step towards killing off the Oculus Quest 2 for good, as its rebranding efforts consume one of the last holdouts using the Oculus name and logo.

Quotes

Meta has taken yet another step towards killing off the Oculus Quest 2 for good, as its rebranding efforts consume one of the last holdouts using the Oculus name and logo.

The Oculus store is no more and has now been replaced by the new Meta store. Here you can pick up the Meta Quest 2 VR headset  (which is functionally identical to the Oculus Quest 2) and the Meta Portal smart display (formerly called Facebook Portal).

Now, the only fragments that remain from the before times are the Oculus app on PC and smartphones. However, we expect they too will fall to Meta’s rebranding efforts in the not too distant future.

My thoughts

This poses nothing but problems. as many  of the older firmware for items like the Oculus Dev kit 1&2, are now gone for good,

Like if you buy a dev kit of your friend, for cheap, and he does not have the drivers anymore,

If Webarchive does not have any download links archived, which from my testing seems to be the case. [I could be wrong about this]

Then the only other place to get the software,

-from some shady site,

-use jailbreak methods, to bring the older headsets back to live, AKA killing all facebook support,

- trough the LTT forum.

[If users still have the original downloads somewhere stored on their NAS or some USB stick buried beneath years of other tech]

{Maybe the Planned Data-Hoarder video Linus talked about, will bring some of these old Oculus drivers to the light, helping users who need the files to get their "2nd hand" Headset working again}

If none of this works then I am certain Facebook/Meta will get a massive backlash in the following weeks from their "old consumer base", that still uses the Oculus branded headsets, demanding they revert the decision to Kill off the Oculus site, and all drivers/support info, that was on the site.

Killing off the Oculus brand/site might also bring Facebook/Meta in hot waters with the EU

As it is potentially be against the DMA [digital markets act], the DSA [Digital services act], killing off the site will cause forced mandatory obsolescence due Facebook/Meta not providing essential software [drivers] to use said devices.

Sources

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-oculus-quest-2-is-one-step-closer-to-its-death

https://www.androidcentral.com/gaming/virtual-reality/meta-quest-website-launch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/01/27/meta-unwisely-kills-off-the-oculus-name-for-vr-headsets-once-and-for-all/

Oculus site [Redirects to: https://store.facebook.com/]

https://www.oculus.com

Webarchive

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.oculus.com

Jailbreak for the "Oculus quest 2"

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-2-jailbreak-success/

https://readyhackerone.com/defending-the-right-to-repair-for-xr/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

How are your thoughts related at all to the articles at hand? 

Changing a brand name doesn't kill older headsets just because they have a different logo.

The Dev 1 and Dev 2 would have lost official support even if Facebook had never bought the company, as they are ancient and outdated.

I would say you are grasping straws with the EU thing, as Dev1 and Dev2 were NEVER consumer products.

You can still get all the drivers for consumer products, such as the very first Oculus Rift, Rift S etc.

Meta did absolutely nothing wrong here, there won't be backlash from the EU, won't be community backlash, get over it.

My thoughts, that are related to the articles are MEH, Facebook bought Oculus, they can rename the devices to whatever they want, doesn't change the engineers behind the products, or anything of value.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

8 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

1Changing a brand name doesn't kill older headsets just because they have a different logo.

The Dev 1 and Dev 2 would have lost official support even if Facebook had never bought the company, as they are ancient and outdated.

I would say you are grasping straws with the EU thing, as Dev1 and Dev2 were NEVER consumer products.

1 The reason it kills of the older products is because you can no longer download the drivers from the Oculus site.

2 Even if it is not a "Consumer" product, many consumers could buy it no problem. and some still use it, even if it is outdated.

║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║

4 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

1 The reason it kills of the older products is because you can no longer download the drivers from the Oculus site.

2 Even if it is not a "Consumer" product, many consumers could buy it no problem. and some still use it, even if it is outdated.

f5, i majorly reworked my first comment.

Doesn't matter where you get the drivers for, the drivers are now on the meta site, big deal.

The DEV SDK's are still available, and it is not Metas problem that someone knowingly bought a dev product for home use.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

11 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

f5, i majorly reworked my first comment.

Doesn't matter where you get the drivers for, the drivers are now on the meta site, big deal.

The DEV SDK's are still available, and it is not Metas problem that someone knowingly bought a dev product for home use.

Maybe share a link so the other users on the LTT forum can find them.

When I booted my Quest 2 yesterday, it updated automatically and killed itself.

Black screen. I could only see and interact with the controllers on a black background. Had sound of my virtual environment and sound from the controller buttons... But black screen, nothing but a void...

Had to do a factory reset through the app on my phone, to get it back to working, losing everything (thankfully I didn't have much on there anyway since I mostly use remote desktop stuff).
Why? Because apparently, according to others on Reddit who had that same issue with this latest update... Meta really didn't like that we disabled the Guardian feature. So getting the FORCED update while Guardian is disabled, resulted in a black screen. Yay... It's as if zero QA went into these updates. Which is likely the case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, TetraSky said:

When I booted my Quest 2 yesterday, it updated automatically and killed itself.

Black screen. I could only see and interact with the controllers on a black background. Had sound of my virtual environment and sound from the controller buttons... But black screen, nothing but a void...

Had to do a factory reset through the app on my phone, to get it back to working, losing everything (thankfully I didn't have much on there anyway since I mostly use remote desktop stuff).
Why? Because apparently, according to others on Reddit who had that same issue with this latest update... Meta really didn't like that we disabled the Guardian feature. So getting the FORCED update while Guardian is disabled, resulted in a black screen. Yay... It's as if zero QA went into these updates. Which is likely the case.

That is even worse. Getting forced updates.

It also makes me think off

https://hackaday.com/2022/03/18/welcome-to-the-future-where-your-microwave-thinks-its-a-steam-oven/

-----------

Since they Killed off your device, with their update, that you did not want. You can legally demand your money back, even if you bought it 2+ years ago.

Just contact your local Anti-trust regulator for advice.