Recommended square shaped 1Gbps in-wall AP

Filingo

3 hours ago, Filingo said:

Are you sure you want a directional AP like that?  Seems to be designed more for one AP per room rather than on-wall/ceiling which beams in all directions.  I'd expect there to be next to no signal behind it, especially if its a metal back box (I know that's the standard for UK in-wall boxes, no idea elsewhere).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are you sure you want a directional AP like that?  Seems to be designed more for one AP per room rather than on-wall/ceiling which beams in all directions.  I'd expect there to be next to no signal behind it, especially if its a metal back box (I know that's the standard for UK in-wall boxes, no idea elsewhere).

It's ok because it's only for one room that doesn't get signal, rest of the rooms get decent signal from the router

9 hours ago, Filingo said:

It's ok because it's only for one room that doesn't get signal, rest of the rooms get decent signal from the router

Sounds like the perfect use-case then.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

9 hours ago, Filingo said:

One note I see on Reddit:

It supports roaming, but not fast roaming. None of the in-wall units support fast roaming, as they are primarily designed for applications such as hotel rooms, where you wouldn't really want the AP to fast hop onto a neighbouring AP.

They mean "you wouldn't want the CLIENT to fast hop onto a neighbouring AP".

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

One note I see on Reddit:

They mean "you wouldn't want the CLIENT to fast hop onto a neighbouring AP".

so if the router and this AP will have the same SSID, and I go from the living room to the room with this AP, it will give me trouble getting the correct signal?

7 minutes ago, Filingo said:

so if the router and this AP will have the same SSID, and I go from the living room to the room with this AP, it will give me trouble getting the correct signal?

Most SDNs do seamless handover on WiFi because the system can monitor clients and give a "push" when in the vicinity.

It's still up to clients to drop a connection with low signal quality and connect to a new AP if this doesn't exist. However, some clients just like to "stick" to a connection until a threshold is reached. These in-wall APs have a limited range to begin with so, provided you have another AP's signal at the periphery, the reconnection transition shouldn't be too bad.