Upgrading my storage to 2 NVME m.2 drives

Jacob353

Hi guys, I have been wanting to add another NVME m.2 drive on my setup to replace my HDD, but I'm not sure if my rig is compatible to have 2 NVME m.2 drives installed. I have a i7 10700k and a z490 motherboard, so I want my intel 760p m.2 drive to be my boot drive and then i will replace my HDD with another m.2 for my games and stuff. Does anyone know if that will cause any issues at all as I've seen that it might not be compatible?

18 minutes ago, Jacob353 said:

Hi guys, I have been wanting to add another NVME m.2 drive on my setup to replace my HDD, but I'm not sure if my rig is compatible to have 2 NVME m.2 drives installed. I have a i7 10700k and a z490 motherboard, so I want my intel 760p m.2 drive to be my boot drive and then i will replace my HDD with another m.2 for my games and stuff. Does anyone know if that will cause any issues at all as I've seen that it might not be compatible?

If your motherboard has a second M.2 slot there should be zero issues.

Even if it doesn't, the only issue when using it as a storage drive is if it has a slot that doesn't share lanes with the first x16 slot - otherwise your GPU would be downgraded to x8.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Depends on the specific motherboard. So boards have two m.2 slots, but are keyed differently (one is for NVME and one for SATA) If that is the case I could get a sata drive as they are cheaper and for the most part you wont know the difference and it will be cheaper/better GB/Per$. (Linus did a video about it)

23 hours ago, Froger96 said:

Depends on the specific motherboard. So boards have two m.2 slots, but are keyed differently (one is for NVME and one for SATA) If that is the case I could get a sata drive as they are cheaper and for the most part you wont know the difference and it will be cheaper/better GB/Per$. (Linus did a video about it)

Good point, I should have been more specific.  Though given WiFi slots are really short and NVME drives are usually quite long, its not something you can obviously mistake. (unlike the nightmare I've been having trying to get a compatible mini PCIe to M2 adapter for a WiFi card I have where the keying is confusing as M key can fit in a B key slot but doesn't work)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7