G70A Color Troubleshooting

nholo

Hello everyone, I recently purchased two Samsung G70A monitors and have set them up. The monitors work great, but I have a coloring issue on one of them. On my vertical monitor, the text appears perfectly, but on my horizontal monitor, the text seems to have slight color aberration as well as yellow hues across windows (typically white text on a black background). The slightly yellow tinted windows did not appear well on the picture, so I left those out. I was able to see a reduction in the yellow when I switched the color mode to Cinema, but would prefer to make adjustments, but those are all disabled when Cinema is enabled. The Cinema mode also caused worse color aberration (specifically see the L's in the horizontal monitor picture). Meanwhile, the vertical monitor was configured to use the RTS color mode. It's bad enough to where it's noticeable and I would appreciate any suggestions for color correction on the monitor or Windows. I don't believe I will need to do an RMA/return, but I only have about a week before the 15 days return period ends. Here are some pictures that will hopefully help. I've never done much with monitor color configuration, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've tried a new DisplayPort cable, disabling night mode, ensuring both monitors are using the same Samsung color profile, and tried running the ClearType configuration wizard.

Here's the Google Drive link to the pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PEfVcR7d0NmD_40lRniyKL_OomeufYTT?usp=sharing

35 minutes ago, nholo said:

Hello everyone, I recently purchased two Samsung G70A monitors and have set them up. The monitors work great, but I have a coloring issue on one of them. On my vertical monitor, the text appears perfectly, but on my horizontal monitor, the text seems to have slight color aberration as well as yellow hues across windows (typically white text on a black background). The slightly yellow tinted windows did not appear well on the picture, so I left those out. I was able to see a reduction in the yellow when I switched the color mode to Cinema, but would prefer to make adjustments, but those are all disabled when Cinema is enabled. The Cinema mode also caused worse color aberration (specifically see the L's in the horizontal monitor picture). Meanwhile, the vertical monitor was configured to use the RTS color mode. It's bad enough to where it's noticeable and I would appreciate any suggestions for color correction on the monitor or Windows. I don't believe I will need to do an RMA/return, but I only have about a week before the 15 days return period ends. Here are some pictures that will hopefully help. I've never done much with monitor color configuration, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've tried a new DisplayPort cable, disabling night mode, ensuring both monitors are using the same Samsung color profile, and tried running the ClearType configuration wizard.

Here's the Google Drive link to the pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PEfVcR7d0NmD_40lRniyKL_OomeufYTT?usp=sharing

Color matching monitors is one of those famously thankless things.  The way it used to be done is with a color puck which was this thing you stuck to the screen.  The “modes” are preset color balances.  It’s unsurprising you can’t change them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Would you happen to have any suggestions as to what color settings I should focus calibrating (gamma, red, blue, etc.) to help with the yellowing issues?

34 minutes ago, nholo said:

Would you happen to have any suggestions as to what color settings I should focus calibrating (gamma, red, blue, etc.) to help with the yellowing issues?

I don’t remember my additive color wheel very well.  It’s been a long time.   I think red and green but that could be very wrong. Maybe google additive color to get a better idea.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ok, cool. I'll take a look and give it a try, thanks!

For anyone who is curious, it seems that this issue is only present when using DisplayPort 1.4. I have more testing to complete, but this may be a monitor software or hardware issue, as it appears fine on the horizontal display when the DisplayPort version is switched to 1.2 (and in turn, the refresh rate is bumped down to 60).

10 hours ago, nholo said:

For anyone who is curious, it seems that this issue is only present when using DisplayPort 1.4. I have more testing to complete, but this may be a monitor software or hardware issue, as it appears fine on the horizontal display when the DisplayPort version is switched to 1.2 (and in turn, the refresh rate is bumped down to 60).

Ok that’s weirder.  Implies a specific issue with something in that chain starting at the DisplayPort driver, going through the video card and cable and ending at the monitor controller. Simple solution is avoid DisplayPort 1.4 on that monitor