Wireless Headsets Randomly Disconnect or Drop Audio

Syralys

I've been having this issue for well over a year. I have gone through four different headsets with all the same issues. Either connection drops completely or I have crackle or audio drops suddenly. 

Headsets I've gone through:

Logitech G933

Logitech G935

ASTRO A50

Rig 800 HX Pro (Current one now)

I ran with the G933 for three years so I only at the time thought wear and tear finally caught up to it. The G935 is where I realized something might be broken. The problems of audio drops and signals of the headset disconnecting and reconnecting were showing. Went to the A50 the problem occurred again. So I went to a wired headset with no issue, but I just missed the freedom of no wires. So after a few months of wired connection I decided to get the 800 HX for both my pc and my Xbox, but after a day the problem came back yet again. I am now convinced it can't be the headset because on Xbox I get no signal drops or audio crackles or drops.

I've tried to look up what could be the problem. Originally thinking it's an interference in signals, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. I tried different USB ports and turned off save power on USB ports in device manager. I have been able to stop the sudden signal drops, but I feel like I only delayed it from happening for now. 

Any help will be great and appreciated. 😀

If it's better now, I'd say it's safe to assume the issue has been resolved. At least, as long as none of the things you did are reversed or the settings change. Bluetooth in general has been around since the 90's, but it's still not perfect. It's more of a luxury and convenience sort of thing. Unfortunately, as you've experienced yourself, it can end up becoming a headache.

In my audiophile opinion, until Bluetooth is lossless capable with low-latency, and has fixed its issues around interference and overall connection stability... it's not worth it yet. Qualcomm's aptX sounds horrid, Samsung's scalable codec sounds too crunchy, and Sony's LDAC is not commonly supported on enough Bluetooth headphones. On top of that, most wireless headphones are just tuned like garbage, regardless of what codecs they support (until we start factoring in TWS IEMs).

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

3 hours ago, lizzeswellness said:

I also have the same issue that comes and goes. My guess is that it has something to do with updates in my windows system. I am currently on Windows 10 and I read somewhere that its weaker point is detecting audio compatibility. Oh well!

Read the same. Don't know how to fix it. 

On 4/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, Syralys said:

I've tried to look up what could be the problem. Originally thinking it's an interference in signals, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. I tried different USB ports and turned off save power on USB ports in device manager. I have been able to stop the sudden signal drops, but I feel like I only delayed it from happening for now. 

Any help will be great and appreciated. 😀

If stutters pop back up again, install LatencyMon to see if there's correlation with something happening on the PC. Unfortunately the fix I had after discovering that tool was a fresh windows install.

Sorry for the super late response. 

After more testing spending about 4 hours a day troubleshooting, I have come up with a possible reason why I was getting interference with any wireless headset. 

Originally I thought it was USB or some unknown static which may be caused by external hard drives. Which I have none except what is connected to my Xbox. Heck I even thought it was my wifi antenna on my Aorus WiFi pro motherboard, but nowhere in bios to my understanding is a way to disable this except through device manager. I even turned off the mobo's bluetooth after stutters continued. Same issue. Little did I know I think I may have been closer to the answer than I thought. 

I took a hunch that maybe it was my 2.4ghz wifi signal that was causing the interference.  So I went into my router settings and turned off the 2.4 signal. After a day of testing the stutters and random disconnects just stopped.

I read that wifi signals don't or shouldn't interfere with other 2.4 signals due to different frequency channels. So maybe I found a solution along the way and didn't realize it? Or maybe it was interfering? Anyways the problem seems to be gone and if it comes back I will do a fresh install of windows and see where that takes me. Luckily routers come with 5g signals now so didn't lose wifi signal completely. 🙂