Will the dedicated mounting bracket be required for intel i7 12th gen stock cooler ?

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

LGA1700's cooler mount points are different from previous Intel generations. I think they just mean you have to make sure your cooler comes with the right bracket for it.

The stock cooler that comes with the processor will.

I am planning to buy the i7 12700 and MSI Pro Z690-P (LGA1700 DDR4 PCI-e 5.0) motherboard. On the Newegg product page of the motherboard, it says "dedicated mounting bracket is required". Will it be required even for the stock cooler ? Or only for just third party Air, AIO or liquid coolers ? 

LGA1700's cooler mount points are different from previous Intel generations. I think they just mean you have to make sure your cooler comes with the right bracket for it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

54 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

12700 has a stock cooler?  I thought it was too hot for that even though it’s still less hot than a 12700k

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

12700 has a stock cooler?  I thought it was too hot for that even though it’s still less hot than a 12700k

Yeah. Only the "K" units dont get the stock cooler. "F" units dont get integrated GPU. Non-K and non-F units get both. 

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

An entirely new stock cooler, at that!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089190/processors/intel-core-processors.html

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Technically, the mounting points/holes are the same, but you need a different Z-height. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Technically, the mounting points/holes are the same, but you need a different Z-height. 

It's 78 mm x 78 mm instead of the 75 mm x 75 mm that lasted from 1156 to 1200. (You're right that the Z-height is lower now, too.)

That's close enough that you might be able to get away with embiggening the holes on some older brackets, though.

24 minutes ago, lykan_MD said:

Yeah. Only the "K" units dont get the stock cooler. "F" units dont get integrated GPU. Non-K and non-F units get both. 

Is the cooler decent?  If not how much cheaper is it in tray form?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Better looking but is it also better behaving? The previous one was more or less functional but loud.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Better looking but is it also better behaving? The previous one was more or less functional but loud.

According to this guy, it performs slightly better than the bigger version of the old cooler. It was at least manufactured with a little bit of thought put into appearance, and the copper slug is doing a lot of heavy lifting. There aren't any decibel numbers in the review, but there's only so much you can reasonably expect from a cooler with no heat pipes.

Sounds like it's a "sure, okay that's fine" instead of a "meh, whatever, it's fine".

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

According to this guy, it performs slightly better than the bigger version of the old cooler. It was at least manufactured with a little bit of thought put into appearance, and the copper slug is doing a lot of heavy lifting. There aren't any decibel numbers in the review, but there's only so much you can reasonably expect from a cooler with no heat pipes.

Sounds like it's a "sure, okay that's fine" instead of a "meh, whatever, it's fine".

The thing about the AMD stock coolers was they also weren’t particularly loud.  Not quiet either but the result was doable.  Trying to decide if the thing would piss me off or not. If it doesn’t there’s little reason not to use it.  They’re cheap. If it’s obnoxiously loud though I may want to go with a tray version and buy a bit of overkill for silence.  A non-legrande macho revC maybe.  Something 5 pipe.  I don’t know if a 4 pipe cooler can handle the thing quietly (1000rpm or less)  or not.   The 12700 is definitely on my scope as a possible future cpu.  There may be an argument for a 58003d as I almost exclusively just play games but a 12700 with a decent ddr4 B series board may wind up being enough cheaper en total to make a difference.