Looking for a new display. Have no clue.

Bombastinator

I was thinking of getting a sub $500 4k 27”-28” 4kish monitor faster than 90hz (which probably means 120 or 144.  I would be running it below that though) that I would run at 1080p a lot of the time (probably most 3d stuff). I have no idea what to get or if this is even realistic.  I really like durability. Any thoughts?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I was thinking of getting a sub $500 4k 27”-28” 4kish monitor faster than 90hz (which probably means 120 or 144.  I would be running it below that though) that I would run at 1080p a lot of the time (probably most 3d stuff). I have no idea what to get or if this is even realistic.  I really like durability. Any thoughts?

Difficult most of the times but the best one I can find is basically this https://www.newegg.com/acer-xb273k-gpbmiipprzx-27/p/0JC-000P-00F25?Item=0JC-000P-00F25&Description=4k 144hz monitor&cm_re=4k_144hz monitor-_-0JC-000P-00F25-_-Product Ever so slightly over budget but looks very durable and probably everything you need! 🙂

If you are like me and care about longevity and durability--then you won't bark up the OLED tree; and you know that 2160p is way more future-proof than 1440p.

So yeah, 120hz, 2160p is what I'd search for.  And at whatever size you think you want.  27" is way too tiny for me but YMMV.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

If you are like me and care about longevity and durability--then you won't bark up the OLED tree; and you know that 2160p is way more future-proof than 1440p.

So yeah, 120hz, 2160p is what I'd search for.  And at whatever size you think you want.  27" is way too tiny for me but YMMV.

I don’t disagree, but 1080p starts to look kinda bad above that size.  Also it makes the budget a lot more doable.  The price difference between 27” and 32” is huge. Qoled is supposed to be a lot better than oled, but they’re still so new I kinda want to add a “potentially” on that.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.