What are some good 2560x1600 monitors?

Vitalius

I'm looking into getting a 2560x1600 monitor for my future gaming computer. I'm building up to it, so I will think on the decision more for quite a while, but I thought I'd test the waters and start to look at monitors for it for now.

This monitor would be for gaming primarily, so low response time is a must.

So, what monitors are there for good prices that have this resolution? 16:10 is must. 2560x1440 is not what I want.

I've heard IPS monitors are better visually, but TN's boast a better response time and don't produce as much "smear" as IPS panels do. At this resolution, I wouldn't mind having a TN monitor if it can save me money, but I will likely read more on the comparison between the two later and ask, as I am now.

I'd love to hear about anyone who owns one of these monitors and has input to give. Price is mostly irrelevant, but go for the cheaper of two if the difference is negligible for the difference in price.

Thanks in advance. :)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I actually dont think there are any TN 2560x1600 displays, i know there are some with the x1400's ie the korean A minus panels. As for the x1600 the only one i can think of off the top of my head is the dell. Honestly the dell is the way to go, its pricey but you know you are getting quality and a good warranty.

Really? ... Thanks. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer.

I know x1440 is basically how most 2560 monitors go, but I was hoping there was decent one for a good price that was x1600.

So I guess I'll be going 1440p then.

So, same question but with 1440 rather than 1600 this time.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I just bought a Dell u3011 and the clarity of the panel is immensely better than any other screen I own. The IPS panel in it makes a difference compared to the 24in VA panel i used to use. I have used for about a day so far and I have not noticed any ghosting or anything else that would make me want to return it panel wise. The connectivity options are immense.

Dell u3011

Really? ... Thanks. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. I know x1440 is basically how most 2560 monitors go' date=' but I was hoping there was decent one for a good price that was x1600. So I guess I'll be going 1440p then. So, same question but with 1440 rather than 1600 this time. [/quote']

Yeah, 16:9 is the "standard" nowadays, I much prefer 16:10 myself and have been wanting a 1920x1200 monitor, but I can't find any that I like or in my price range.

For 1440p monitors, your best bet for a good price is buying one from a Ebay seller(or from Dell). http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=2560x1440&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Here is a video of Logan viewing a Korean panel; 2560x1440, 27", IPS, Qnix QX2700:

I think it is a wise decision to move from 1600p to 1440p simply for monetary reasons. The only real reason to get a monitor of that scale (1600p) is for the editing of video and pictures. This is because when you enter that class of monitor they tend to be for the most part IPS panels. This is primarily for the necessary color accuracy that is vital in the editing process. Seeing as you plan to use this for gaming I think the Asus PB278q is a solid choice. The quality of the image is spectacular and the Grey to Grey timing is 5ms which is respectable for a monitor of this size. You can usually find it for around 650 to 800 US dollars. If you are looking for an even lower budget monitor consider the Korean branded monitors on eBay. Just make sure when you're browsing for one of these models they are listed as pixel perfect. Some of these models are known for having dead pixels this "Pixel Perfect" tags just means someone made sure there isn't any dead pixels on the panel. They're quite a few brands but I would recommend the Yamakasi Catleap before any other for the simple reason that it is the most reviewed and usually has the pixel perfect attribute in the buying process. Hopefully this was of some help to you.

Thanks guys.

That makes sense about the larger ones being for photo editing making them more expensive.

I'll probably look up the Korean ones. More money I save goes towards my computer, which is awesome.

† Christian Member †

Really? ... Thanks. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. I know x1440 is basically how most 2560 monitors go' date=' but I was hoping there was decent one for a good price that was x1600. So I guess I'll be going 1440p then. So, same question but with 1440 rather than 1600 this time. [/quote']

Yeah, 16:9 is the "standard" nowadays, I much prefer 16:10 myself and have been wanting a 1920x1200 monitor, but I can't find any that I like or in my price range.

For 1440p monitors, your best bet for a good price is buying one from a Ebay seller(or from Dell). http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=2560x1440&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Here is a video of Logan viewing a Korean panel; 2560x1440, 27", IPS, Qnix QX2700:

I recently got the U2412m from the Dell outlet for $250, the reduced warranty might bite be in the a$$, but I trust Dell's work.

Thanks guys. That makes sense about the larger ones being for photo editing making them more expensive. I'll probably look up the Korean ones. More money I save goes towards my computer' date=' which is awesome.[/quote']

It's weird how monitors are heading. You can find a cheap 1920x1080 monitor for around $150, but the nice ones that have the most options are around $200-$250, but then you can get a 2560x1440 monitor from a Korean seller for around $300 and sometimes you get free shipping depending on the seller, but if you wanted a American brand 2560x1440 monitor, you're going to be paying anywhere from $500-$800! How does any of this make sense?!

Actually ASUS is non American, LG is Korean, and both that have high-end consumer grade monitor cost a lot. These cheap Korean monitor manufacture buy manufacture rejects panels (refereed as A- panels, where they are not good enough, but don't have any dead pixels.. at least not yet.. some might develop over time, including possibly other issues). Its like buying big name cloths that are heavily discounted due to a manufacture error producing them at some level (fault, lower quality frabrik used, imrpoper color, issue with dye used on fabric (ex: doesn't last long after multiple washes), etc.

Also these cheap korean monitor manufcature don't make any circuits or anything, they just make a cheapo plastic casing for the monitor, and connect the monitor directly to ports, or if it has multiple input (circuit is required, piss poor design with extra cheap low quality components are used), all resulting in graphic card that can have compatibility problems. Hence, why they have a graphic card compatibility list. This is problemsom, as if one day you upgrade your graphic card, even drivers, it might not play nice with the monitor. So it's risky. Oh and you hav no warranty, or support.

So in other words, the expensive monitors provides you:

-> A+ grade panels

-> High build quality and high quality internal parts

-> More features, including something as basic as an on screen menu features, and more tan 5 to 8 brightness levels.

-> Engineering cost added, due to the engineering that was actually required in doing the monitor

-> Required circuits for proper operation

-> Color processors and Look Up Table (isn't cheap) - applies to the monitor you are looking for due to the market.

-> Warranty service (usually 3 to 6 years)

-> Good warranty coverage (example: dead pixel count is low, and teh concept of "Zones" isn't used to find excuses to not cover you, and you have stuff like 0 bright pixel (pixel stuck on a color or white))

-> 100% compatibility with graphic cards

I have dony my own research, i would buy ASUS PB278Q. I have found not so good reviews about dell monitors, they arent shit but arent that good either.

that would be a great thing rather than me who still using 1280x1024 screen

I have dony my own research' date=' i would buy ASUS PB278Q. I have found not so good reviews about dell monitors, they arent shit but arent that good either.[/quote']

Please elaborate. Which monitor you looked at?

Based on my research ASUS monitors have problems too, including, but not limited too, to high pitch whine if brightness level isn't set to 100% on many models, and the build quality is on par or lower than Dell monitors (again, depending on the models). In the case, of the ASUS PB278Q, the monitor isn't as good as Dell offering U2713M based on review sites in terms of colors, and as for other advantages over the Dell monitor, in terms of value of your money, it is simply not worth the premium price. Also, the monitor is certainly not as good as the U2711. The non-glossy film use on the ASUS PB278Q is not very strong at all either... which continues to reflect too much light defeating the purpose of a non glossy screen.

Interesting GoodBytes.

So, based on your research, which monitor would you recommend? ASUS and LG being out now. If the extra money guarantees I get a good quality product, I'll pay it.

† Christian Member †

Pretty much any 1600p monitor is good quality for professional use, but the new dell U3014 is worth waiting for as it's due in march: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/27.htm#dell_u3014.

IMHO 27" is a better form factor that 30". The actual size difference is significant and the 27" 1440p monitors have a higher pixel density, similar high build quality, same OSD options, warranty, and are roughly $300 cheaper. I own the Dell U2713HM and love it. I'll never go back to 1080p. The notorious screen-door effect of dell's anti-glare layer is not noticable on the 2713hm. You can also pay $200 more and get the Dell U2713H for better colors if it's truly worth it to you. The Asus PB278Q and Samsung S27A850d (as reviewed by Linus) are also decent options for around $600.

Actually ASUS is non American, LG is Korean, and both that have high-end consumer grade monitor cost a lot. These cheap Korean monitor manufacture buy manufacture rejects panels (refereed as A- panels, where they are not good enough, but don't have any dead pixels.. at least not yet.. some might develop over time, including possibly other issues). Its like buying big name cloths that are heavily discounted due to a manufacture error producing them at some level (fault, lower quality frabrik used, imrpoper color, issue with dye used on fabric (ex: doesn't last long after multiple washes), etc.

Also these cheap korean monitor manufcature don't make any circuits or anything, they just make a cheapo plastic casing for the monitor, and connect the monitor directly to ports, or if it has multiple input (circuit is required, piss poor design with extra cheap low quality components are used), all resulting in graphic card that can have compatibility problems. Hence, why they have a graphic card compatibility list. This is problemsom, as if one day you upgrade your graphic card, even drivers, it might not play nice with the monitor. So it's risky. Oh and you hav no warranty, or support.

-> A+ grade panels

-> More features, including something as basic as an on screen menu features, and more tan 5 to 8 brightness levels.

-> Engineering cost added, due to the engineering that was actually required in doing the monitor

-> Color processors and Look Up Table (isn't cheap) - applies to the monitor you are looking for due to the market.

-> Good warranty coverage (example: dead pixel count is low, and teh concept of "Zones" isn't used to find excuses to not cover you, and you have stuff like 0 bright pixel (pixel stuck on a color or white))

No, you do have a warranty, you just need to ship it back to Korea.

Don't even bother with a TN panel in for 1440p, smallest i have seen that resolution is 27", which if your running a TN panel would make the edges discolor.

In terms of refresh rate, 5ms grey to grey is perfectly fine for gaming (this is what you get with IPS/e-IPS Panels), you wont notice it. you get the same on TN panels (even if they say 2ms response times, very few actually have thous response times), the exception is the 120hz/144hz panels.

Really? ... Thanks. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer.

I know x1440 is basically how most 2560 monitors go, but I was hoping there was decent one for a good price that was x1600.

So I guess I'll be going 1440p then.

So, same question but with 1440 rather than 1600 this time.

He was referring to the TN part not the x1600, 27" is normally x1440 where as 30" is normally x1600

-> A+ grade panels

Also these cheap Korean monitor manufacture don't make any circuits or anything' date=' they just make a cheapo plastic casing for the monitor, and connect the monitor directly to ports, or if it has multiple input (circuit is required, piss poor design with extra cheap low quality components are used), all resulting in graphic card that can have compatibility problems. Hence, why they have a graphic card compatibility list. This is problemsom, as if one day you upgrade your graphic card, even drivers, it might not play nice with the monitor. [/quote']

The Graphics compatibility list is actually, just to make sure you have a dual-link DVI port native.

Interesting GoodBytes. So' date=' based on your research, which monitor would you recommend? ASUS and LG being out now. If the extra money guarantees I get a good quality product, I'll pay it. [/quote']

Value for your money, Dell UltraSharp series currently offers the best at an overall product (balanced - good to excellent quality (depending on the model), good specs, provides performance (great for fast action movies, and also gaming... for an IPS panel, of course), good contrast, good after sale services, including free shipping BOTH directions if your monitor needs to be replaced, good warranty coverage. If you look anywhere everyone pretty much confirms this, and people are generally very happy with their purchase.

So have a look yourself.

And I don't know if you noticed but if you look at any school or work place that have Dell monitor, you find really old monitors easily over 6 or even 7 years old still working today. One thing that Dell does right, is their monitors, especially lately since late 2009 and in 2010, with the U2410, U2711, U3011. I don't know if you saw the stand of these monitors, the arm is in freaking metal, metal machanical system, and the base is also in metal (well there is plastic cover over the base and mechanical system, to make it look nice). The newer models that came out after, are aimed to be less expensive, so the build quality is lowered. With the exception of teh U2713HM, while it uses the same build quality are the U2713H and U2412, spec wise (waiting for reviews), it looks like a better monitor. It looks like that Dell decided to make the monitor fancier with even better calibration, and programmable Look Up Table. The question is, is it visible? and will you use the programmable Look Up Table feature (expensive color calibrator required to support this feature).

In any case, you can wait for the 30inch refresh, or you have the U3011 now, if you want 16:10 aspect ratio for 2560x1600.