Why is DisplayPort so unreliable.

IBM_THINKPAD_R51
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Bundled Display Port cables are notorious for being poor quality and problematic. Get yourself a quality cable and the problems will likely go away. 

I personally use these 2 with zero issues:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HVDMW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKPBWB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I have 3 monitors, which are as follows and my EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked:

Main (the one that has the problem): Asus VG27AQL1A 170Hz WQHD connected via displayport

Second: Acer SB220Q 75Hz FHD connected via HDMI

third: Gateway FPD2275W 60Hz WSXGA+ connected via dual link dvi

the problem is that the only way i can get 170Hz on my main monitor is to use display port...however i have found that displayport is the most unreliable connection standard i have ever seen, when i got the monitor i used its included DP cable since this was the first time i have use DP...i have only ever used vga, dvi, or hdmi up until now. However I have this problem where the monitor will disconnect and reconnect by itself .like once every hour, when this happens all the monitors go black for 5 seconds, windows during that 5 seconds will re-arrange all the windows to the other monitors since the main one doesnt exists more, then the 2  other monitors come back on, and the main one stays black...

if i wait 10 seconds the DP will reconnect and all the displays will go black again for 5 seconds and then all the displays will come back on...if it happens during a gaming session, then that game will have a white screen even though it is still running (i can tell because of the audio). so i have to re-arrange all my windows, go in task manager and kill the game process and start it again...

i have never had this problem with any other display standard and its making me consider running over this displayport cable with a lawn mower.

I believe you have a bad monitor not a bad connection. Switched from HDMI to DP I think 10-15 years ago for both my personal builds and builds I have done or recommended for others and pretty much the only thing that causes DP to fail is someone trying to yank the cable out like a HDMI forgetting that DP is usually locked in.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Just now, Hybris5112 said:

I believe you have a bad monitor not a bad connection. Switched from HDMI to DP I think 10-15 years ago for both my personal builds and builds I have done or recommended for others and pretty much the only thing that causes DP to fail is someone trying to yank the cable out like a HDMI forgetting that DP is usually locked in.

so i forgot to mention this but on hdmi for the main monitor, i dont get 170 hz i get 120 but it never disconnects like it does on DP. Can the monitor still be bad even though its fine on hdmi?

Sample size of one? Not conclusive at all. Every component has a chance to fail.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Bundled Display Port cables are notorious for being poor quality and problematic. Get yourself a quality cable and the problems will likely go away. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HVDMW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKPBWB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

wow 30 dollars for a good DP cable...ouch but i think ill get a better DP cable.

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

wow 30 dollars for a good DP cable...ouch but i think ill get a better DP cable.

The $35 one is on my 1440p/240hz monitor, no issues. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yeah the other 12 dollar one says 2K at 165Hz but i need it at 170Hz and whatever future monitor i may have so i think ill get the 35 dollar one.

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Yeah the other 12 dollar one says 2K at 165Hz but i need it at 170Hz and whatever future monitor i may have so i think ill get the 35 dollar one.

Look at it this way, how much do you value your time at? Multiply that hourly rate by the difference, if the time spent on troubleshooting and frustration is greater than the difference in cost: worth the money.

Most DP cables are just a cheap crap that's only made to run 60Hz/75Hz and can't really handle high refeesh rates.

The bundled cable on my AOC AG271QG (1440p 165Hz) worked for about 4y then it degraded and I had the same issues you have now. I went trough many cables to find a one that worked and I ended up paying about 20eur for a 2m cable. One of the cheaper ones I've got couldn't even run 1440p60Hz without losing signal at 3m lenght.

This cable is also almost twice as thick and much more heavier and sturdier than any of the other ones I used previously.

The thing with DP is also that the longer the cable is the likelihood of it being insufficient increases as well. You definitely want to stay within 2m at most to avoid issues.

Just now, WereCat said:

Most DP cables are just a cheap crap that's only made to run 60Hz/75Hz and can't really handle high refeesh rates.

The bundled cable on my AOC AG271QG (1440p 165Hz) worked for about 4y then it degraded and I had the same issues you have now. I went trough many cables to find a one that worked and I ended up paying about 20eur for a 2m cable. One of the cheaper ones I've got couldn't even run 1440p60Hz without losing signal at 3m lenght.

This cable is also almost twice as thick and much more heavier and sturdier than any of the other ones I used previously.

The thing with DP is also that the longer the cable is the likelihood of it being insufficient increases as well. You definitely want to stay within 2m at most to avoid issues.

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

So all it seems to be then is that:

cheap dvi and hdmi cables that have the same level of cheap quality and imperfections just show less problems then cheap DP cables? vga would be a diff story.

1 minute ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

cheap dvi and hdmi cables that have the same level of cheap quality and imperfections just show less problems then cheap DP cables? vga would be a diff story.

You also tend to run a lot less data trough those cables.

Another thing with DP is that there is no DP 1.2 calbe or DP 1.4 cable (even though the marketing material says so, they just mean it will run from those ports)... you got version of ports on your monitor and graphics card but all cables "are the same" but differ in quality. If you get one of the old ones then it will not meet the standard for your requirements for example.

Actually, check this video.... (ignore title, it's relevant for NVIDIA as well)

11 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Had the exact opposite experience. Bought a supposedly quality DP 1.4a (~30 bucks on amazon) cable (which worked perfectly fine on sub 4K res). Once I got my 4K monitor I used that cable but it wasn't able to reach 4K 144hz (max I got was 4K 120hz). So I switched to the cable that came with the monitor and 4K 144hz no issues.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon