2x 5.25" Bays - Any fun ideas to slot into there?

ZoxinTV

I have two unused 5.25" bays (disc drive slots) in my case, and though I could just leave them as they are, I feel like it'd be really cool to find something fun to do with the case.

I've seen some fan controllers, drawer units, PC status displays for temps, SSD mounting bays, and just some basic USB 3.1 hubs, but the selection is pretty slim despite what I listed.

Anyone else have some cool things they've bought or modded in? I feel like a small LCD screen that could be given some looping gifs/videos could be a fun thing, but I'm not too sure about how feasible that'd be. Would be something akin to some AIO coolers having a screen built in for gifs.

Most of the cool 5.25" bay accessories still date back to the era when it was commonplace for cases to have multiple 5.25" drive bays, and that means that most of them are pretty much obsolete now. The drawers are honestly the most practically useful.

The screen is a cool idea, but I don't know of anybody who makes one you can buy "off the shelf." Would probably have to get something like a BeadaPanel and then maybe 3D print a housing for it that goes in the drive bays. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

If you make a bracket designed to fit in the two bays then get a tiny HDMI screen and hook it up it could work. The specifications for a 5.25" front bay are easily accessible online.

elephants

24 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Most of the cool 5.25" bay accessories still date back to the era when it was commonplace for cases to have multiple 5.25" drive bays, and that means that most of them are pretty much obsolete now. The drawers are honestly the most practically useful.

The screen is a cool idea, but I don't know of anybody who makes one you can buy "off the shelf." Would probably have to get something like a BeadaPanel and then maybe 3D print a housing for it that goes in the drive bays. 

Yeah, the screen idea is definitely one that'd take a bit more time and effort, but if done right it could maybe be a great little addition...  Oh boy, now I'm getting ideas akin to those TV fridges. Just straight-up make the sole display for the case be a 6-7 inch display in the front bays. lol

27 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If you make a bracket designed to fit in the two bays then get a tiny HDMI screen and hook it up it could work. The specifications for a 5.25" front bay are easily accessible online.

I suppose something that just acts as a small external display (external and internal at the same time, I guess) could work pretty well, yeah. Could just extend wallpaper engine to that display, or even just hook up a raspberry pi or equivalent small system to loop things on it.