My graphics card needs new fans.. but which fans?

aDoomGuy
Go to solution Solved by Maxxtraxx,

See 1080 strix fan replacement here. It appears that you may be able to remove the fans from the card from the front and it appears the shroud comes off easily as well... The fans you found do appear to be correct.

it is certainly possible that the fans are failing, it may be worthwhile to run some more tests on them such as:

manually ramping the fans to full speed via afterburner and watching and listening for any issues
turning the PC off and checking for any wobble in the fans by touching them lightly with your fingers
re thermal pasting GPU chip worthwhile if fans are running but temperatures are an issue

Edit: do not spray anything on the card, the fan bearings are sealed and not able to be lubricated. Spraying anything on the card will have bad consequences.

I have graphics card, fans going bad. All 3 of them it seems. There are some noises sometimes and max speed is getting slower and temp is starting to go up. I don't want to RMA even though I'm within warranty, the store is likely to just refund me the money I spent rather than repair/replace. I have asked them about their likely course of action if I send in my card. So yeah, here we are.

The card is a ROG Strix 2060 Super Adv (ROG-STRIX-RTX2060S-A8G-GAMING) but is there another way to find the fan models other than opening up the thing just to look at them? I'm pretty sure it's these bad boys right here but not entirerly...

FDC10U12S9-C Cooling Fan For ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2060 RTX 2060S RTX 2070 GAMING | eBay

As an alternative for very short term: may it help at all to try and spray some lubricant oily cleaning substance like CRC spray in there? Doubt it's even possible since the fans looked very sealed when I wanted to try and clean them a while ago.

See 1080 strix fan replacement here. It appears that you may be able to remove the fans from the card from the front and it appears the shroud comes off easily as well... The fans you found do appear to be correct.

it is certainly possible that the fans are failing, it may be worthwhile to run some more tests on them such as:

manually ramping the fans to full speed via afterburner and watching and listening for any issues
turning the PC off and checking for any wobble in the fans by touching them lightly with your fingers
re thermal pasting GPU chip worthwhile if fans are running but temperatures are an issue

Edit: do not spray anything on the card, the fan bearings are sealed and not able to be lubricated. Spraying anything on the card will have bad consequences.

1 minute ago, Maxxtraxx said:

re thermal pasting the fans may be worthwhile if fans are running but temperatures are an issue

Thanks especially for the quick reply buddy 😄 

Yeah it's real easy to get them out. That is not an issue, I've tried setting them to 100% manual and I don't even need the software to tell me they're slower, I can hear it (around 2000 RPM now, used to be maybe around 3500-4000). They wobble quite a lot so I'm thinking the bearings have had it. I would prefer to replace them before the same thing that happened to my 7850 (also Asus) happens to them (big crashing noise and I had to pick small pieces of fan blades out of my PC). 😄

Don't think I wanna go with thermal paste yet. I can take off the shroud and fans and still be within warranty (I asked the store). But if I take the heat sink off I don't think I will.