Black Packaging for the Screwdriver!?!?!?

creekcastles84

I am disappointed to see the packaging for this screwdriver, be printed with so much ink, in particular black ink.

For a company striving for environmentally friendly packaging, this is just poor form. Black ink, though there are sustainable options out there, is still not good for the environment. Plus also going down the sustainable options, introduces more costs, which I am sure they are trying to keep at a minimum, due to the manufacturing cost of the screwdriver, so I doubt till proven wrong that it is eco ink.

As a designer myself, I have always been told to avoid printing something fully black (or any colour), because it is so bad and wasteful. However to see this here, I can not understand why this was a choice, after their excellent cable ties packaging.

If it was to keep the Spot Gloss, it can be achieved on any colour, such as white, though not as environmentally friendly in terms of paper (however there are plenty of options out there), still not wasting black ink to achieve this same effect. 

It is just annoying to see a company, wanting to do the right thing for the environment, but then turn around and do this and be completely ok with it.

Bit of a rant, but something that needed to be said

You know, just dont buy the screwdriver. There will be one less screwdriver and one less package in existence.

On a more serious note, please tell me how? Does black ink produce more significantly more carbon footprint. Lets first solve metric tonnes of carbon dioxide released onto the air every second before we start micromanaging and optimizing something that will have pretty much no significance.

PS: I'm an environmentalist, and I fully support green initiatives. But this is getting too far. I seriously hope you've celebrated Apple and other removing chargers from phone boxes because that most definitely had a much more positive environment impact than LMG using black ink

Ya Like I saw this topic and just shook my head, people need to stop nit picking EVERYTHING. OP ended the post with "Bit of a rant, but something that needed to be said" but you know what, you definitely did not need to say a damn thing.

I agree with the overarching message, but disagree with the tone; this would have been better handled as a "Hello, I've noticed the packing of the screwdriver uses a lot of black paint/colouring, unfortunately this isn't ideal for this reason (preferable with a source), would LMG consider taking this into account for future products, in line with its stated goal of lowering its environmental impact?"

On the other hand; I equally disagree with the "small things doesn't matter/who cares?/you didn't need to speak" camp.

Edited by ChuckPunk
Emphasis added

Go in any hardware store and see how many tools are wrapped in the impossible to open plastic packages that are terrible for the environment during production and when they are thrown in the trash.

Pretty much any phone you buy now comes in a similar black box, from the same companies that removed previously included charging bricks and headphones for "the environment".

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

I think this is sort of nitpicking, if you're really worried about the packaging, then everything that comes in a box is also bad for the environment.

18 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

PS: I'm an environmentalist, and I fully support green initiatives. But this is getting too far. I seriously hope you've celebrated Apple and other removing chargers from phone boxes because that most definitely had a much more positive environment impact than LMG using black ink

Those companies didn't remove chargers and headphones from the box for the environment, they removed them for profit margins. And I think the real concern with phones are most of them being glued shut and not easily repairable which has much more of an impact than an included charger.

21 hours ago, ChuckPunk said:

"small things doesn't matter/who cares?/you didn't need to speak" camp.

Hate to break it to you, but they don't. "The results showed that nearly two-thirds of the major industrial greenhouse gas emissions (from fossil fuel use, methane leaks, and cement manufacture) originated in just 90 companies around the world" - science.org Especially considering LMG's size vs Exxon. This tiny amount of die (die is extremely strong and can be used in tiny amounts to get the correct color) harms the environment less than the particles that came off of your brakes on the way to work in the morning. So yes, this black packaging is insignificant, and complaining is a waste of more electricity (and therefore more pollution, since we are nitpicking over tiny amounts of pollution), and time than I care to spend on this.

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Those companies didn't remove chargers and headphones from the box for the environment, they removed them for profit margins. And I think the real concern with phones are most of them being glued shut and not easily repairable which has much more of an impact than an included charger.

Never talked about the intention of removing chargers. That might've been the main goal, but the side effect also included not manufacturing millions and millions of extra chargers (materials, products, testing, validation) + smaller packages decreasing the carbon footprint of each packaged phone significantly.

And no I dont think removing chargers had a lesser impact than glueing phones, since phones these days rarely ever fail. We have already seen how people have have started using their phones for 3-4 years as opposed to 1-2 years half a decade back. My iPhone 6s, sans the battery is still completely usable, running the latest OS. I use that as my secondary phone and it works great for it. But I bought a new phone anyway for new features, better camera, better screen, etc (all of which would've still not be enough reason to not upgrade my iPhone 6s if it was the most repairable device in the world)

Removing power bricks on the other hand has saved so much in production costs and carbon footprint. Yes it saved companies money as well, but that's just how capitalism works

21 hours ago, ChuckPunk said:

On the other hand; I equally disagree with the "small things doesn't matter/who cares?/you didn't need to speak" camp.

Us talking about all this on the forum (our electricity use + server) was probably more polluting than the black ink produced for few hundred screwdrivers. When we have much much much bigger problems and sources in the world its distracting and downright wasteful to focus on things that basically wouldn't make any difference. That's the problem with the world. Focus on the 90% percent before we focus on 0.1% now